cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rifter. First thoughts.

GEFFO53
Honored Guest
I saw the discount and took the plunge. And now I'm swimming in VR. Holy $?!@.
I really enjoyed the friendly robot's workshop and thought it a very clever way of delivering me into the VR world. I was new-born after all. I ducked and laughed as the toy rocket came flying back toward me. Wondrous!
An hour later I was landing on the Moon. WOW! As an 11 year old I could only dream of seeing the LEM from the inside.
The Robo Recall intro was just as stunning. Nearly wet myself then laughed like a kid till I needed a rest.
But my favourite so far has to be Elite Dangerous. A game that in truth can be a little dull on the whole. But in VR it is just stupendous! The scale and immersion is beyond description. I'm there! sitting inside my spaceship as asteroids whizz by.
In short I'm greatly impressed and I really feel that I'm in the 21st century now.
I just wish my VR legs were a little sturdier. Hopefully the no-motion sickness thing will be solved with later technology.
The Rift is an astonishing piece of tech and I've lost count of the amount of times it has made me gasp.
Truly amazing!
Can I place my order now for Rift2?
9 REPLIES 9

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
Try the climb! Another stunning game that works well in vr!

vannagirl
Consultant
Great read elite seems to get pretty much all
Have you got Lone Echo?? it is amazing.

Welcome to Oculus also 🙂
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
double post (deleted)

shiari
Heroic Explorer

GEFFO53 said:

I just wish my VR legs were a little sturdier. Hopefully the no-motion sickness thing will be solved with later technology.

Assuming your tracking is working great it's not got much to do with technology or frame rates (unless your frame rates are absolutely terrible) as the Asynchronous Space Warp feature takes care of adding frames where needed, and resolution doesn't affect the motion sickness. A wider FoV might also be counter-productive here ... so no, newer tech doesn't necessarily mean less motion sickness.

VR legs is all to do with people's individual ability to cope with the disconnect between what you see and what you feel, and it can take some time to develop these VR legs. Start slowly with just experiences that are rated comfortable, and stop the moment you're getting queasy to any level that doesn't also immediately subside again (close your eyes, deep breaths, take off the headset and rest sufficiently if that happens). For now avoid games like Elite where you're tumbling around rapidly, as that can get uncomfortable. Elite (or Windlands, or Air Car, etc) doesn't make me throw up or feel ill but I can feel my body struggling with the lack of motion that my eyes are experiencing.

ogflatlander
Protege
Thanks for posting.  Visiting this forum you would think that every new Rift user has a defective HMD (I know this is with any forum of a product).  Glad you are enjoying it and there is so much more to discover.  Enjoy!

danknugz
Superstar
took me a good 9-12 months to get my vr legs
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, Elite Dangerous is the best VR game out there by far. So good. I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I saw the inside of a Coriolis Space Station or the first time I dropped out of hyperspace in VR. The scale of everything is just fucking crazy.

shiari
Heroic Explorer

danknugz said:

took me a good 9-12 months to get my vr legs

As apparently I'm (fortunately) not very sensitive to it, it only took me about a week or so to be able to tolerate pretty much any experience. It doesn't need to take that long for everyone.

danknugz
Superstar
i only use my rift like an hour a week though
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?