cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirt Rally VR Low FPS / Locked To 45 Frames - CPU Intensive?

Sitruz
Protege
Hi all,

Dirt Rally... awesome game! Fact. 🙂

VR takes it to a new level. So immersive. That said, in order to get 90 frames out of it I have to put the graphics settings on ultra low. If I up it fractionally I can get 50-70 frames (fluctuating). If I make it look vaguely decent I'm locked at 45 frames and experience stuttering which ruins the immersion. I can normally get a great FPS when I play on a monitor.

I have an i5 (a year and half old), 8 Gb RAM and an overclocked MSI 1080 Gaming X Plus. My GPU usage seems to sit at about 45% in game, but my CPU usage in game can hit 87% but usually hovers between 60-80. Tinkering with the OTT and keeping the SS at 1 or having it at 1.4 doesn't seem to make much difference.

Does anyone know if Dirt Rally in VR mode just notoriously hard to please, or am I bottlenecking with my CPU? Could that be causing the low frames and stutter? Speaking with other Rift Dirters they seem to be able to hit the high FPS, many locked at 90 FPS and the only difference I can see is that fact they have i7's. With 45% usage on my GPU in game, it's got a lot more to give.

Cheers for any help and advice you can offer.
5 REPLIES 5

leppard2
Protege
Hi I know i'm reply late but i have same experience as you and so i just used Geforce experience optimised settings and it works great , it seams to set most things at ulta and high. 

I also read that the ultra preset only works 90 fps with a 1080TI witch i was shocked to learn.

Sitruz
Protege

leppard2 said:

Hi I know i'm reply late but i have same experience as you and so i just used Geforce experience optimised settings and it works great , it seams to set most things at ulta and high. 

I also read that the ultra preset only works 90 fps with a 1080TI witch i was shocked to learn.

I tried the Geforce optimsed settings on mine it was way too high. Gave me some very intense juddering and thus sicky feelings lol. I've since started locking it at 45FPS. Gets rid of the jerkiness for me (my eye's obviously can't tell the difference) and enables me to have a couple of nice settings as well. It'll tide me over until I upgrade my processor.

leppard2
Protege
Hi after i did my last reply I used the oculus Debug to see what i was getting and to my surprise i noticed that i could only run on preset medium and if i changed even one setting it would drop to 45 and i had 0 headroom , this also happens if i lower a setting(any setting from shadows to cloth) there seams to be something up with Dirt rally.
I have i5 3570k @4.3 and an msi gtx 1080 armor oc.

cpu usage about 60% and gpu 45 - 60 and setting super sampling to 1.4 shows same usage, so now im at a loss as to whats going on.
Not sure an i7 would help as i have seen many peoples posts with same or similar issues that have an i7. 

leppard2
Protege
After lots of trying out different setting I noticed that if you have medium preset on and you go to change any of the settings individually like mirrors , it automatically puts up everything else to ultra as you can see everything change.

I noticed heavy rain on my window when i didn't put that on and more trees appear, even though i didn't change them, it still shows those setting on low and unchanged in the menu. I can see it all come on in game.
This seams like a driver or game issue. 

leppard2
Protege
After lots of testing its only the Rallycross sections of the game that have really poor performance, the other modes run very well on high/ultra settings at 90fps.