Oculus Medium 1.2 Update and Release Notes! - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium 1.2 Update and Release Notes!

13»

Comments

• danilodanilo Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    I got some suggestions for future updates: 

1 - "Subtract" merge option: In the layers panel, turn a mesh "negative", so when it's merged it should subtract. The workaround for this is transforming the layer into a custom stamp and loading on the Clay tool... but i think that having this in the Layers panel could speed up the process.

2 - Better ways to polish the mesh for hard surface work: We got the flatten brush but is way too hard to control it, even in surface mode. Is it possible to have something like the H polish brush from Zbrush?

3 - Expand the Line option in the clay tool: It would be cool to have some way to use arcs in the clay tool, just like the line option. And it would be super cool to be able tho create paths, just like the bezier curve or the B - Spline method used in 3D apps. Maybe just moving and editing dots, and this dots will be connected in 3d space creating paths...

4 - "Lazy hand": Something similar to the lazy stroke option in Zbrush for better control.

5 -  Masking

6 - A gizmo with non-uniform scale: Not sure about this... if its already implemented. I found the scale gizmo but i was unable to do a non-uniform scale in just one axis.

• SamuelABSamuelAB Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
     "After adding a reference mesh to your scene, just select the mesh, bring up its settings menu and press “Copy to Clay”

Can you show us how to get this menu or let us know what button to use? I've never been able to select a mesh other than going to the mesh menu. I have no idea what this menu is that you are referencing to.

"Copy to Clay supports conversion of textured meshes into sculptable clay"

I also have no idea how to access this feature. Please let us know explicitly how to access new features.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,706 Valuable Player
    Hiro Protagonist
    For anyone trying to access the menu, you must hold A onto the mesh to bring up the menu.
  • naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 188 Oculus Staff
    SamuelAB said:
     "After adding a reference mesh to your scene, just select the mesh, bring up its settings menu and press “Copy to Clay”

Can you show us how to get this menu or let us know what button to use? I've never been able to select a mesh other than going to the mesh menu. I have no idea what this menu is that you are referencing to.

"Copy to Clay supports conversion of textured meshes into sculptable clay"

I also have no idea how to access this feature. Please let us know explicitly how to access new features.
    Hi SamuelAB: Here is a quick video to show how to get to Copy to Clay! We're working on more Tutorials to help you find more cool stuff in the app! 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Some thoughts after testing:
    • There is a slight drift after moving the ref mesh
    • (Large) ref meshes don't scale from the hand location, it scale from another location which is disorienting and annoying
    • Materials need to be baked to be imported?
    • If objects are not merged as a single mesh (very unlikely for architectural models), then many elements are in the wrong place, seem to go to 0,0 origin point. Fixing this would be great.
    • Model import is a lot more robust and successful than before!
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    ooooooh hello!! Does this mean we can finally merge two sculpts together? Need to test this out asap! :)

Great work as always Medium Team!
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Yea wow the mobile version of the forum is a mess :/ 
  • kgersonykgersony Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Very excited about this version, thanks!
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 725
    3Jane
    edited September 2017
    Update broke regular video recording mp4 format.  Windows media player won't play them and movavi crashes when opening the files.  Figured this out after spending 10 hours recording files in my library... haven't tried playing them back in medium, might be able to screen capture it instead of reloading and re-videoing all the files, will check that out. 

[EDIT]  Attempted to play a video using library>>find video.  The library showed preview images of all videos. When attempted to play them, a white box flashed and the video did not play.  This applies to all videos recorded in medium, before and after the update.  Have not tested videos recorded elsewhere or in other formats. 

The video previews are nice though:)

[/EDIT]

While on the topic of video, would be nice to be able to switch off the turntable visual when photographing and/or recording.  Also anything involving the  turntable is cumbersome in terms of cpu hit, including adjusting speeds.    Would be nice to be able to set a default speed for it, as most uses tend to be at similar speeds (unfortunately not the default) rather than change it on every model.  When photographing, would be perhaps helpful if it waited until you let go of the zoom button before trying to recast the screen, I think it's doing realtime as the slider adjusts, which frequently just freezes everything for several seconds.  (win7 pro/amd  fx(tm)-8350 8 core/32 gigs/geforce 1080FE card), may be doing something similar with turntable speed adjustments. [these issues existed before the update]

Excited about the mesh import features, seems like its a small jump to be able to export layers as individual meshes and import them into other files. I'm guessing this feature will allow you to do this with an entire exported sculpt, which I'm looking forward to trying.   

Several other improvements have potential, as well, looking forward  to exploring.

Hiro Protagonist
    Convert to clay is consistently crashing my Medium. Hoping for a resolution in the upcoming updates.

Keep up the amazing work!!!
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 725
    3Jane
    Only problem I've had with convert to clay, so far (and could be coincidental, haven't tested much) is exporting the file caused a crash.  Resolved and successfully exported when the actual mesh was deleted.