cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel abandoned about AAA games support on Steam, please help

Dan1018
Adventurer
Yesterday I have read about the Htc Vive exclusive for the AAA game L.A.Noire. I bought Oculus this summers's sale to buy games also on Steam as many
people did. It's just a peripheral, a complex monitor 2.0 basically,
it's a pain to see developers giving exclusives to some monitors instead
than others. To be honest I'm angry with this really narrow minded.
People like me just committed sacrifices to buy Oculus Rift and give
trust to the new VR market in general, and now the first AAA games such
L.A. Noire, Fallout 4, Doom VFR, are just off the official Rift suppot
on Steam. As a customer I wish to run in the opposite direction. Maybe I
had to wait before jumping into the vr market. I couldn't afford a vive
and I wouldn't because they are going to replace their controllers
design, so I bought the Rift for a better price and it is awesome, it
could make run/display those AAA games very very well.
I see/feel
like if I'm in a situation of being abandoned. Is it like this? I hope
someone can do something. Maybe just letting our voices reach the right
people could count.
54 REPLIES 54

maxpare79
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

Good times when Steam has the lions share of AAA titles and this Oculus exclusivity nonsense counts for nothing.

FO4 is getting negatives or mixed reviews pretty much from everyone who tried it, Skyrim VR (PS4) as well, only Doom is getting positive reviews. What's the point of having AAA titles and messing them up. It will only hurt VR in the long run and in the case of Bethesda definitely just a cash grab. 
But sure go ahead and spend 60$ on a stripped down AAA title if you want.
But I have high hopes for LA Noir, loved that game and the pace of the gameplay will port well to VR. 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Good times when Steam has the lions share of AAA titles and this Oculus exclusivity nonsense counts for nothing.

Aaah, so good times when Valve has exclusivity on their platform then.  It always strikes me a as funny that people are so accepting of Valve doing that which they accuse Oculus of. 

shiari
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

Aaah, so good times when Valve has exclusivity on their platform then.  It always strikes me a as funny that people are so accepting of Valve doing that which they accuse Oculus of. 

Yup, true colours are shining through brightly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently there's no such thing as a Vive exclusive, and if that changes in the future someone will find a way around it like they did with Google Earth VR a while back. Keep your Rift.

vannagirl
Consultant
Whats a steam excusive

Is it something in the urban dictionary?
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Same question. Steam is just a retailer, like Amazon or Walmart.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

falken76 said:

dan108 said:

Atmos73 said:

Oculus have been buying Devs and releasing exclusives from day one. Oculus are very proud of their exclusives like Lone Echo and Robo Recall they spend millions for them.

So now Steam has some great AAA titles coming from Bethesda and now Rockstar not to mention what Valve has up its sleeve.

Good times.

are not good times if we can't play them (I do not know if you have also Vive, for "we" I intend Oculus only owners).

Vive people can play also Oculus games with the revive software. For Vive customers are good times, but for Oculus customers are very bad times.

HTC is trying to sell off the Vive right now, I'd be worried that my hardware would be abandoned soon if I were a vive owner, maybe someone with money and drive will purchase it, but then again maybe they'll sell or license off their IP to other parties that want to use it with their new products... 

HTC is not trying to sell off its Vive business but it is trying to sell its phone business to Google. Once the deal is done HTC could very well be VR only.

HTC have their mobile HMD coming very soon and Vive 2 coming next year.

Source, please!
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
The truth is, these things are only SteamVR exclusive, not exclusive to the Vive headset.  LG has a SteamVR headset on the horizon, which would function the same Vive without any hiccups.  The fact that companies continue to advertise their games as "coming to Vive" is simply marketing in favor of the only product that's native for that ecosystem right now, but both Rift and skeptically the Windows mixed reality headsets should function for these games, as well.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
you can play every game on the pc for both the vive and rift if you want, end of story.

edit they both use the same drivers for the motion control and the tracking, the developer does not even have to do anything to make sure they work for both systems.

Dan1018
Adventurer

A lot of games have this icon on Steam which means that the game is compatible with both: Vive and Steam

But, on some games there is only this label, and this is what I expect to see with "Vive Exclusives such as L.A. Noire, Fallout 4, Doom VFR.

What does this labels means? This labels means that the game control scheme is optimized in exclusive for Vive, not for Oculus Rift. And what does this mean....?  This means that even if thanks to OpenVR every games published on Steam VR will display with both the systems (Oculus and Vive), the control scheme will be converted from vive to oculus in automatic (without developers intervent), so the issue is with the controller compatibility, Vive pad doesn't always convert well to touch sticks.

a quote from internet say
"control schemes do not always translate well between a zero-order
controller (Vive touchpads) and a first-order controller (Touch analog
sticks). With many using the Vive touch-pads as extra buttons due to the
lack of physical buttons, which can make use with a stick awkward or
impossible (to way to move a stick to the top before 'clicking; if the
'click' has been defined as a capacitive contact event, for example)."

So
what I ask to Oculus with this topic is to try to fix this problem working in active
cooperation with steamvr. Or we will probably be out from the party for many games.