cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Setup Can't Connect [FIX]

Balactivis
Honored Guest
I was having problems for the past few days installing the OculusSetup.exe, as every time I got past the licensing agreement I was met with "Can't Connect. Looks like we can't reach the Oculus server. Please check your connection."
If you are having this issue, check for the log under,  %Appdata%/oculus/oculussetup.log. I learned that the runtime has to be uninstalled before you can install the home setup, and there has to be enough room on your C:\ drive or it will give you this error as well. Hope this helps someone.
35 REPLIES 35

cybereality
Grand Champion
I believe it looks for a drive with 12GB free, not sure that requirement is properly messaged though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

mmaitland001
Honored Guest
I also get this error of "Can't connect" My C drive is a SSD with limited capacity so I tried installing it to the D drive. (I wish there was a dialog like what Steam has which will let you specify where it will install to) On your support form it says to run the following command, which ultimately leads to the can't connect error. "D:\OculusSetup.exe" /drive=D" If I run the file normally, or run the command "D:\OculusSetup.exe" it will install to the C Drive and it can connect just fine. So it's not the firewall or antivirus. I have tested the error with other headsets on other machines.

Oculus please test and verify this. I think you have a bug.

Support article regarding installing to a different drive:
https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1676275305961321/

qkhjhjxl0zy9.jpg

mmaitland001
Honored Guest

I also got this “can’t connect” error when I tried to
install to my D Drive. The D drive has a few terabytes free. I’ve attached the
log file. The C Drive on my computer is somewhat full because it is a small
SSD. I followed the instructions on the support page which talks about
installing to other drives.

tsoriano
Honored Guest
I have had the same problem installing the oculussetup. In my case the problem has been that my disk was in dynamic mode. I have had to delete the partition and convert it to basic mode, reinstall windows and that has worked.

To the developers of Oculus, could review this issue as it has taken me a long time to find the problem.

Greetings.

Zythie
Honored Guest
This issue is completely ridiculous, and can be prevented so easily. It seriously baffles my mind. I've been getting to around 1.5 GB before it craps out with the Can't Connect error. Plenty of room on my computer, all firewalls disabled, anti-virus off, on windows 10, no connection issues with anything else.. Like do they seriously not want me to be spending money right now? I would love to give them my freaking money.....

madscribbler
Honored Guest
For those that have problems with dynamic disks, the OSVR HDK 2 works great, and is cheaper.

DaveLorenzini
Honored Guest
Creating an oculus directory in %Appdata% worked for me.   got past the 'can't connect' error to a 'install mandatory windows hotfixes' which was fixed with a windows update + reboot

limygeorgevr
Explorer
SSDs don't work well when near full. After installing to an SSD successfully, and having still at least 20% (1/3rd free is optimum but I read that a while ago.) If no other issues, should work.

Just a thought, may help, if anyone was unaware of the free space required for best performance. (Helps trim too, but don't ask me how or why?)

Samsung majician has a way to set this as a non formatted (10% default - disk size will appear 10% smaller.)

They call it over provisioning. Functions as a kind of trim swap or something, but usable free space is good too.

limygeorgevr
Explorer

Gmotagi said:

I had this issue and had under 10Gb free.  When I made space of 40Gb it installed. I think its a combo of shoddy programming giving the wrong error and actually needing more than 5Gb free.

Ah, a good example!

Knightshade.Steve
Adventurer

Gomes said:

If you do not have a directory Oculus Try to make Oculus dir manually. After I did this, I saw a .NET error. I updated .NET and it all worked.

I created the directory myself, then it worked fine, didn't even produce a .net error, the setup program was simply unable to create a new folder itself so spat out a seemingly unrelated error.