Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This news just came in...

HTC Vive Now $599, Gets A Permanent $200 Price Cut

all that technology came at a premium price that has, until right now,
remained at $799 for the Vive headset, two motion controllers, and two
base stations for tracking. Other than a few flash sales and minor
discounts it’s been stuck at that price.

The updated package, priced at $599 for everything mentioned above, includes download codes for Richie’s Plank Experience, Everest VR, and Tilt Brush on Steam, as well as a one-month subscription to Viveport. The Viveport service has over 200 apps available, but you can only pick five to get access to over the course of a single month. It’s sort of like selectively renting content.

Interesting news considering it wasn't very long ago that HTC executives explained why a Vive price cut was unnecessary. Those reasons seem to still apply today, giving rise to insight that perhaps HTC feels the pressure from the aggressive Oculus pricing in order to remain viable (and alive) in the high-end VR Market.

From E3 2017:

“we haven’t dropped the core price of the Vive because we think it offers the best room-scale [experience], hands down.”

O’Brien elaborated further on HTC’s perspective on the Vive’s price, saying that there are certainly price-sensitive customers who are looking for the lowest cost option, but there are also ‘value-sensitive customers who are willing to pay more if they feel they are getting better value out of their purchase;’ the latter is where a large portion of VR early-adopters fall, he said.

Sources:

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-explains-vive-price-cost-lowered-cut-discount/

*EDIT*
Latest damaging articles/discussions:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/552854/#Comment_552854

465 REPLIES 465

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Oh and if you own a vintage Ferrari and the latest Lamborghini it doesn't make you any less relevant on a Ferrari Forum. It just means you have better taste lol

You don't own a vintage Ferrari, you a hand-me-down Go-Kart 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

So by your definition when Oculus sold its business to Facebook it was because Oculus was going out of business before CV1 even hit the streets. Ok that sounds about right.

Or when HTC signed up for the Venture Capital Alliance it realized that noone on the Streets wanted it? Why else would HTC pimp itself out to a group? 😉

Remember that HTC had already partnered with Valve and had a storefront given plus a VR patent up-front, and they still went out-of-business.

I remember when you tried calling Facebook the "sugar daddy" to Oculus, while ignoring that HTC has over 20 sugar daddies. Yet none of those HTC sugar daddies could save it. A few short weeks ago you were bragging about how Palmer would be the perfect owner for the Vive; which isn't even a sugar daddy situation but a "real daddy" problem lol

Whether it is Palmer or Google... whoever buys HTC becomes their real daddy. It's as if the Universe reads your bad Oculus predictions and slaps HTC with something worse.

You are the Vive's downfall, buddy. Congrats 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Zenbane said:
 You know, the facts you ignore while typing up these frantic replies of yours.

Hang on you're the one on 7000 plus posts lmao

And you have over 1,700 frantic replies, your point? 😛

I'm a Rift owner posting on a Rift forum, you're a Rift hater whining on a Rift forum. Context matters lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

The Venture Capital Alliance is invested in VR not HTC Mobile but you've convinced yourself HTC is one

That sentence makes absolutely no sense. Of course the VCA is about VR, and the HTC Vive was a key part:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/29/htc-vive-announces-10-billion-vr-venture-capital-alliance/
HTC Vive announces $10 billion VR Venture Capital Alliance

What you've done is convince yourself that the facts about HTC's VCA aren't true

Atmos73 said:

well soon see who right and who's wrong pretty soon.

If you had any capacity to see right from wrong then you'd look at your own recent posts about desperately wanting either Palmer Luckey or Google to be your daddy as clear evidence of your utter defeat.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

No I said if HTC sold their whole business I wouldn't mind if Palmer bought it.

That's definitely not what you said. I can tell when you get embarrassed because you try hard to paraphrase.

This was your real Cry For Daddy post to Palmer:
Why would it be a slap in the face for Vivarians? I like Palmer. He
owned Oculus when I bought my DK2 and I was sad to see him leave. He
also funds Revive and he's still pationate about VR. I don't see
anything wrong with him buying the manufacturing plant and being the
figure head of Vive. If anything it would be a slap in the face to all
those loyal Oculus fans that had to witness the sad demise of their
Oculus leader.

And today you're all about Google being your new dad. You haven't even given yourself time to heal from the fact that Palmer was just using your Vive's failing business as a public joke.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Not as much as a Joke on Oculus as Palmer supporting the Vive by funding Revive. Now that's real.

Let's be clear on what you are bragging about: Vive owners are able to play Oculus titles thanks to the help of an Oculus founder and a 3rd party app. So what is "real" is the fact that Vivarians have been suckling on the Oculus proverbial teat.

And you brag about this while also spending over a year trying to claim that the Vive platform is superior.

You're not good an picking up on irony and nuance. You're also not good at jokes.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

Not as much as a Joke on Oculus as Palmer supporting the Vive by funding Revive. Now that's real.

i really should not get involved in this one as i tend to get blasted from both you and ZB 😉 however, havent revive patches been mentioned in official patch notes of oculus funded store titles.?  I do not think oculus have a problem with revive. I accept i could be wrong, but all revive does is send more users to buy stuff from the oculus store.
how many people using revive have in effect pirated the titles meant for oculus rift purchasers? ie luckys tale... and yet oculus have not stopped vive users from takeing them.... My guess is they are happy for the loss leader to get people buying games from their store.

As for Palmer Lucky.. regardless of your views on him and why he got the boot from facebook, i think it is hard to argue that that guy just wants good VR and revive helps give everyone access to good VR.... so him dropping a few of his millions of $ to revive is not that much of a surprise imo.

The question is why the vive is not OFFICIALLY supported on the oculus store.... there are theories blaming oculus for this, and others blaming valve.  One day i hope we will find out which (not that we have a right to know.. i am just nosey)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

i really should not get involved in this one as i tend to get blasted from both you and ZB 😉 however, havent revive patches been mentioned in official patch notes of oculus funded store titles.?  I do not think oculus have a problem with revive. I accept i could be wrong, but all revive does is send more users to buy stuff from the oculus store.
how many people using revive have in effect pirated the titles meant for oculus rift purchasers? ie luckys tale... and yet oculus have not stopped vive users from takeing them.... My guess is they are happy for the loss leader to get people buying games from their store.

As for Palmer Lucky.. regardless of your views on him and why he got the boot from facebook, i think it is hard to argue that that guy just wants good VR and revive helps give everyone access to good VR.... so him dropping a few of his millions of $ to revive is not that much of a surprise imo.

The question is why the vive is not OFFICIALLY supported on the oculus store.... there are theories blaming oculus for this, and others blaming valve.  One day i hope we will find out which (not that we have a right to know.. i am just nosey)

Yah we've been down this road before:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/505188/#Comment_505188

Of course, even if we woke up tomorrow to find the Oculus Store 100% open to all other HMD's, Atmos would just move the goalpost and spend the next year talking about how Oculus is a failed business model because it took 15 months to open its Store.

There are still some folks around here that believe Atmos is trying to have a normal discussion  :#

Atmos73 said:

@Zenbane

You're right you don't laugh at my posts the way I laugh at yours but I forgive you, at least you debate unlike others here I could mention.

Waits for a meme from RoschechPheonix

Love you too, babe. Although I'm starting to get jealous of the impact Mr.Phoenix's memes  :'(

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

@Zenbane

You're right you don't laugh at my posts the way I laugh at yours but I forgive you, at least you debate unlike others here I could mention.

Waits for a meme from RoschechPheonix

It is called Rorschach. And Phoenix.
Here's a meme.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I wouldn't move the goalposts because I've always identified the difficulty for Oculus having to compete with Steam which has been established for years.

A few things wrong here:
  1. Oculus Home competing with Steam is as difficult as a professional athlete competing in the Special Olympics.
  2. HTC tried copying Oculus Storefront's success by launching VivePort (but failed)
  3. You moved the goalpost when it came to measuring a "failed business model"
  4. You moved the goalpost when it came to counting corporate sugar daddies
  5. You moved the goalpost with Touch controllers
Number 5 is my favorite. I watched you spend 8 months trawling this forum bragging about your Wands while the rest of us had a grand 'ol time with the XBox controller. You were so angry that Rift users were "happy" that you went on that infamous tirade against the Oculus Remote 😄

Then when Touch came out... you were so upset that Rift owners had Finger Tracking you resorted to spamming the forum with comments like, "Rift owners had to wait 8 months for Touch!" That's moving the goalpost.

Now you brag about Knuckles because they copy Touch. That's more moving the goalpost.

Although at this point I don't believe you are moving the goalpost intentionally; it's not a strategic move on your part. The goalpost is simply lodged in your head and you're wondering around aimlessly 😛