New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC finally gives in! The Vive price cut has arrived

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    RorschachPhoenix is a Rift owner; you are not. You are a Vive owner who spent a year betting that Oculus would lose but your Vive ended up losing... yet you keep reading and posting on a Rift forum :dizzy:

+1
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    So if this is r Oculus forum why are you starting threads about HTC and the Vive. That's the ipitamy of trolling which you are king of the hill but at least you have an opinion - Rorchachpheonix has nothing.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    It's like someone who turns up at a party eats the food drinks the wine and sits all night saying what a shit party it is. If you don't like it just leave.
    I have no beef with you at all Atmos.... but this post is a bit glass houses isint it, considering you are posting on the official oculus rift forums ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Atmos73 said:
    It's like someone who turns up at a party eats the food drinks the wine and sits all night saying what a shit party it is. If you don't like it just leave.
    Sounds like your job description to me.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,150 Valuable Player
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    So if this is r Oculus forum why are you starting threads about HTC and the Vive. That's the ipitamy of trolling which you are king of the hill
    It would be trolling if I started this on a Vive forum. You don't really know what trolling is, methinks ;)

Atmos73 said:
    Pot meets kettle.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Atmos73 said:
    I own Oculus products and....
    Atmos73 said:
    .....I bring discussion to a discussion Forum.
    You own an old out-dated and unsupported Oculus product, and you use it as a license to bait owners of current Oculus products in to debates about how you believe Oculus products are going to fail.

That's like someone buying a Movie Ticket 3 years ago, and refusing to leave the theatre while also running around screaming about how all the movies they show - and the theatre itself - sucks :D
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    No Oculus is like selling you a movie ticket but doesn't let you to watch the movie because you drove to the theatre in the wrong car. 
    I think you are confusing your analogy with the Vive and its inability to show OH "movies"? :D

Atmos73 said:
    Then RorschachPheonix walks in to the theatre sees a movie playing that he doesn't like and randomly shouts 'I don't give a shit' in front bemused theatre goers who were actually enjoying the movie. Bizarre.
    Nope. What he is doing is trying to enjoy the movie with the rest of us, but a local heckler won't STFU. The Heckler is the one who is bizarre, not Mr. Phoenix.

Atmos73 said:
    As for out of date -  the Vive was released one week after the Rift so if anything the Rift is out of date.
    Ever since the Vive was released it has gone through several major updates in order to Copy the Rift (as you are well aware of). In fact, you brag about HTC's ability to copy everything about Oculus, from HMD comfort levels to hand-controllers to price-cuts... the Vive has not only been out-of-date since release, but it's now out-of-business.

Atmos73 said:
    You fail.
    You like using words without understanding their meaning.
    Atmos73 said:
    Well you just contradicted yourself because you say the Vive has been out of date since release just after reminding me how the Vive has received several updates to bring it inline with the Rift. Make your mind up.
    It's not a contradiction, you're just not thinking. The Vive was out-of-date, hence the need for the updates. That is what updates do, bring things closer to being more up-to-date and less out-of-date :D

Atmos73 said:
    The Vive is far from out of business. Google might well buy HTCs Mobile a Division but HTC will continue to produce Vive products.
    Google, or someoneone (anyone), needs to save HTC because they are going out of business. The facts presented in this thread proves that point. You know, the facts you ignore while typing up these frantic replies of yours.
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Oh and if you own a vintage Ferrari and the latest Lamborghini it doesn't make you any less relevant on a Ferrari Forum. It just means you have better taste lol
    You don't own a vintage Ferrari, you a hand-me-down Go-Kart :p
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    So by your definition when Oculus sold its business to Facebook it was because Oculus was going out of business before CV1 even hit the streets. Ok that sounds about right.
    Or when HTC signed up for the Venture Capital Alliance it realized that noone on the Streets wanted it? Why else would HTC pimp itself out to a group? ;)

Remember that HTC had already partnered with Valve and had a storefront given plus a VR patent up-front, and they still went out-of-business.

I remember when you tried calling Facebook the "sugar daddy" to Oculus, while ignoring that HTC has over 20 sugar daddies. Yet none of those HTC sugar daddies could save it. A few short weeks ago you were bragging about how Palmer would be the perfect owner for the Vive; which isn't even a sugar daddy situation but a "real daddy" problem lol

Whether it is Palmer or Google... whoever buys HTC becomes their real daddy. It's as if the Universe reads your bad Oculus predictions and slaps HTC with something worse.

You are the Vive's downfall, buddy. Congrats ;)
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Zenbane said:
     You know, the facts you ignore while typing up these frantic replies of yours.
    Hang on you're the one on 7000 plus posts lmao
    And you have over 1,700 frantic replies, your point? :p

I'm a Rift owner posting on a Rift forum, you're a Rift hater whining on a Rift forum. Context matters lol
    Atmos73 said:
    The Venture Capital Alliance is invested in VR not HTC Mobile but you've convinced yourself HTC is one
    That sentence makes absolutely no sense. Of course the VCA is about VR, and the HTC Vive was a key part:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/29/htc-vive-announces-10-billion-vr-venture-capital-alliance/
    HTC Vive announces $10 billion VR Venture Capital Alliance

What you've done is convince yourself that the facts about HTC's VCA aren't true

Atmos73 said:
    well soon see who right and who's wrong pretty soon.
    If you had any capacity to see right from wrong then you'd look at your own recent posts about desperately wanting either Palmer Luckey or Google to be your daddy as clear evidence of your utter defeat.
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    No I said if HTC sold their whole business I wouldn't mind if Palmer bought it.

That's definitely not what you said. I can tell when you get embarrassed because you try hard to paraphrase.

This was your real Cry For Daddy post to Palmer:
    Why would it be a slap in the face for Vivarians? I like Palmer. He owned Oculus when I bought my DK2 and I was sad to see him leave. He also funds Revive and he's still pationate about VR. I don't see anything wrong with him buying the manufacturing plant and being the figure head of Vive. If anything it would be a slap in the face to all those loyal Oculus fans that had to witness the sad demise of their Oculus leader.

And today you're all about Google being your new dad. You haven't even given yourself time to heal from the fact that Palmer was just using your Vive's failing business as a public joke.

Atmos73 said:
    Not as much as a Joke on Oculus as Palmer supporting the Vive by funding Revive. Now that's real.
    Let's be clear on what you are bragging about: Vive owners are able to play Oculus titles thanks to the help of an Oculus founder and a 3rd party app. So what is "real" is the fact that Vivarians have been suckling on the Oculus proverbial teat.

And you brag about this while also spending over a year trying to claim that the Vive platform is superior.

You're not good an picking up on irony and nuance. You're also not good at jokes.
    Atmos73 said:
    Not as much as a Joke on Oculus as Palmer supporting the Vive by funding Revive. Now that's real.
    i really should not get involved in this one as i tend to get blasted from both you and ZB ;) however, havent revive patches been mentioned in official patch notes of oculus funded store titles.?  I do not think oculus have a problem with revive. I accept i could be wrong, but all revive does is send more users to buy stuff from the oculus store.
    how many people using revive have in effect pirated the titles meant for oculus rift purchasers? ie luckys tale... and yet oculus have not stopped vive users from takeing them.... My guess is they are happy for the loss leader to get people buying games from their store.

As for Palmer Lucky.. regardless of your views on him and why he got the boot from facebook, i think it is hard to argue that that guy just wants good VR and revive helps give everyone access to good VR.... so him dropping a few of his millions of $ to revive is not that much of a surprise imo.

The question is why the vive is not OFFICIALLY supported on the oculus store.... there are theories blaming oculus for this, and others blaming valve.  One day i hope we will find out which (not that we have a right to know.. i am just nosey)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    i really should not get involved in this one as i tend to get blasted from both you and ZB ;) however, havent revive patches been mentioned in official patch notes of oculus funded store titles.?  I do not think oculus have a problem with revive. I accept i could be wrong, but all revive does is send more users to buy stuff from the oculus store.
    how many people using revive have in effect pirated the titles meant for oculus rift purchasers? ie luckys tale... and yet oculus have not stopped vive users from takeing them.... My guess is they are happy for the loss leader to get people buying games from their store.

As for Palmer Lucky.. regardless of your views on him and why he got the boot from facebook, i think it is hard to argue that that guy just wants good VR and revive helps give everyone access to good VR.... so him dropping a few of his millions of $ to revive is not that much of a surprise imo.

The question is why the vive is not OFFICIALLY supported on the oculus store.... there are theories blaming oculus for this, and others blaming valve.  One day i hope we will find out which (not that we have a right to know.. i am just nosey)
    Yah we've been down this road before:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/505188/#Comment_505188

Of course, even if we woke up tomorrow to find the Oculus Store 100% open to all other HMD's, Atmos would just move the goalpost and spend the next year talking about how Oculus is a failed business model because it took 15 months to open its Store.

There are still some folks around here that believe Atmos is trying to have a normal discussion  :#

Atmos73 said:
    @Zenbane

You're right you don't laugh at my posts the way I laugh at yours but I forgive you, at least you debate unlike others here I could mention.

Waits for a meme from RoschechPheonix
    Love you too, babe. Although I'm starting to get jealous of the impact Mr.Phoenix's memes  :'(
    Atmos73 said:
    @Zenbane

You're right you don't laugh at my posts the way I laugh at yours but I forgive you, at least you debate unlike others here I could mention.

It is called Rorschach. And Phoenix.
    Here's a meme.

edited September 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    I wouldn't move the goalposts because I've always identified the difficulty for Oculus having to compete with Steam which has been established for years.
    A few things wrong here:
    1. Oculus Home competing with Steam is as difficult as a professional athlete competing in the Special Olympics.
    2. HTC tried copying Oculus Storefront's success by launching VivePort (but failed)
    3. You moved the goalpost when it came to measuring a "failed business model"
    4. You moved the goalpost when it came to counting corporate sugar daddies
    5. You moved the goalpost with Touch controllers
    Number 5 is my favorite. I watched you spend 8 months trawling this forum bragging about your Wands while the rest of us had a grand 'ol time with the XBox controller. You were so angry that Rift users were "happy" that you went on that infamous tirade against the Oculus Remote :D

Then when Touch came out... you were so upset that Rift owners had Finger Tracking you resorted to spamming the forum with comments like, "Rift owners had to wait 8 months for Touch!" That's moving the goalpost.

Now you brag about Knuckles because they copy Touch. That's more moving the goalpost.

Although at this point I don't believe you are moving the goalpost intentionally; it's not a strategic move on your part. The goalpost is simply lodged in your head and you're wondering around aimlessly :p
    Atmos73 said:
    I wouldn't move the goalposts because I've always identified the difficulty for Oculus having to compete with Steam which has been established for years. Allowing people to buy a Rift and then all their software from Steam is a major obstacle for Oculus.

When you get over Palmers dream to bring VR to the masses what is Oculus going to become, a VR Store? A game developer? A hardware manufacturer? At the moment it's slashing the price on its hardware and spends millions on external game Devs to flesh out the Oculus Store. If Oculus stop investing in exclusives and Devs go neutral there's no real reason to buy the Rift once Knuckles are here. Rift will allways need to be cheaper than the competition and Oculus will allways be forced to buy exclusives to stop people going to Steam. So far this has been the case and I just don't see this policy stopping any time soon. We've already seen the Rifts Google rankings drop off a cliff since the summer sale ended and the Vive become the top HMD. When the majority of AAA games come to Steam Oculus's reliance on exclusives diminishes and when the Rifts technical advantages like wider optical sweet spot and Touch are superseeded with Knuckles what then for the Rift? All USPS are exhausted and content is king and I'm not betting against Valve, Bethesda and now Rockstar.
    personally i think you are looking too far into the future.....  Oculus are not my wife, and i have absolutely zero loyalty to them. IF they make a product which is a better fit for me than the opposition, which in *this* generation they have, then i will (did) buy a rift.  Compromises were made, for me it was the right call, for you clearly the vive was and that is cool.

but knuckles are NOT out yet, and the sweet spot and screen door will still be better on the CV1, and that is even AFTER knuckles are released and if we assume eventually HTC will have to throw in the improved head strap with speakers.

by the time all the above happens, we will be far down the road of this generation, and me, i will have had probably 2 years use from my rift.

When generation 2 comes along, the process starts again..... for me personally oculus will have a slight edge as i feel Valve have not done even close to enough to help seed VR. Gabe himself has said he does not give 2 squits if VR succeeds or fails outside of a passing personal interest.  Facebook OTOH have truly put their money where their mouth is. They have splashed out on core PC games even tho that is not their wheel house and is not imo why they bought oculus.  (I thought facebook buying oculus was a disaster for VR, when infact it is their money which has allowed some of the best (imo) VR titles which can be enjoyed by vive users too.

but even so, if a 2nd gen HMD comes out and it uses light house and it is better for me than the 2nd gen oculus offerings, i will jump ship and not look back.  Blind loyalty to any multibillion $ company is a mugs game

what ever the future offers however, i will never ever regret buying my rift, and I am convinced it is thanks to Oculus that we even have these affordable HMDs to allow us to have these chats.... and I am equally convinced facebook money has helped improve the rift from what it would have been without the cash injection, AND facebook money has meant games exist in VR which would not have before.

unlike pets or children, a VR HMD really can be just for xmas and not for life ;)
    Atmos73 said:
    I still see dead people. 
    Ditto, right here:
    https://www.facebook.com/HTCVIVE/

B)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    Tbh I can't see ANY headset manufacturers beating Oculus next generation as far as quality goes, the same as this generation. They're simply WAAAAAY ahead of everyone else in terms of R&D. 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Tbh I can't see ANY headset manufacturers beating Oculus next generation as far as quality goes, the same as this generation. They're simply WAAAAAY ahead of everyone else in terms of R&D. 
    Google is currently predicted to be HTC's new daddy:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/google-buying-htc-report-says.html

The Vive is currently dead in the water, and if Google buys HTC then... well, just look what happened when Google tried to launch Google+ to compete with Facebook :D

Look what happened when Google tried to launch Google Docs to compete with Microsoft Office.

Between Palmer and Google, HTC's new daddy options are essentially: Dumb and Dumber.
    1 last thing from me then am off home :) (and not directly relevant to this thread)

There are 2 things i really give a toss about and bother to chat about online... VR and Elite Dangerous (which is also vr). About these things i am an opinionated stubborn fanboy.  But nothing i write is ever intended to be personal, and if ever i come across as condescending / arrogant or rude it isnt intended and I apologise

and on that i am gone....
    Atmos73 said:
    HTC will be Vive only and won't have anything to do with mobiles anymore.
    The Vive is a bigger drain on HTC than their mobile division. This was covered 3 days ago:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/555402/#Comment_555402

Atmos73 said:
    More AAA Devs onboard and a whole new Steam Home open to Devs. That's what we've seen for Vive while we haven't seen anything on that scale from Oculus.
    lol - you are on the Titanic after it hit the Iceberg and trying to brag about new Life Raft designs back on the mainland :D

The only thing good about the "promise" of AAA games coming to Steam is the fact that non-Rift users will finally get something that makes all the $$$ they threw away on a lesser product finally feel worth it after 15 months. As you've admitted yourself, Revive is the only claim to fame for Vive users... which means the Oculus experience is what Vivarians pray to achieve.

Keep clicking those ruby slippers together and making them wishes!

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Atmos73 said:
    @Zenbane

It is called Rorschach. And Phoenix.
    Here's a meme.

I see dead people.
    Thats funny I saw a Vive HMD..... oh wait.
    WAAAGH!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    snowdog said:
    Vive already got the DAS while base station 2.0 are primed along with Knuckles. We've seen tracking pucks tracked gloves, body tracking software and eye tracking modules for foveted rendering. More AAA Devs onboard and a whole new Steam Home open to Devs. That's what we've seen for Vive while we haven't seen anything on that scale from Oculus.

But OC4 is coming and its time they showed something new or a hint of what's coming in 2018.
    The Deluxe Strap's entire purpose is to make the Vive more Rift-like. The Knuckles controllers' entire purpose is to make the Vive more Rift-like. The Tracking Pucks aren't intended for home use, they're intended to be used by VR arcades, sports teams and athletes and even if people buy them to use them in their homes they won't get a great deal of developer support.

And talking of developer support, we'll end up seeing the majority of games using finger tracking in the not too distant future only tracking the thumb and index finger anyway because any developer with any sense will want to have their game playable on both the Rift and the Vive using their respective finger-tracked motion controllers.

As for the Lighthouse 2.0 system, it's going to be cheaper to produce than the Lighthouse 1.0 system but it won't be anywhere near as cheap to produce as the 2 or 3 glorified web cams that the Rift uses.

And as far as AAA quality games goes, HTC and the Vive are playing catch up yet again. The Rift has had AAA quality games right from day one and has continued to add one AAA quality title to that ever increasing list every month this year. And all of those titles are original AAA quality titles rather than 3 out of the 4 AAA titles being OLD ports. And if that wasn't enough those games will almost certainly work on the Rift anyway even if it takes a hack like the one used on Google Earth VR early on.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    Morgrum said:

Thats funny I saw a Vive HMD..... oh wait.
    hahahaha

apologies but that made me i spit out my coffee

Can we have a poll on how much longer this thread before intervention ;):p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.