cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to adjust focus?

soopytwist
Protege
Every single VR game I've played has been slightly out of focus. I don't mean the blur you get if your eyes are not dead centre on the lenses I mean the HMD is in the right place on my head and I've adjusted the slider switch underneath for the lens spacing but still all the games are very slightly out of focus and the only way I've found to fix it is to pull the HMD away from my face slightly but obviously I can't hold it out there. If I adjust the strap to make it tighter it just pulls the HMD into my face more which makes no difference (other than marking my face for the next two hours after taking it off). There doesn't appear to be a way to pull it out away from my face and hold it there. If I make the top strap looser the HMD just slides down my face and then I get that blurring problem because my eyes aren't in the right place.

Text has always been a major issue, especially small text. I've given up
reading the comic books in Wilson's Heart because I just can't read the
words properly unless I put the pages right in front of my face and
even then it's still out of focus.

I'm short-sighted and need glasses for driving but I don't need glasses
for using a standard PC monitor or reading a book. Anyway I tried
wearing my glasses with the Rift and it made no difference (other than
being a pain in the arse putting it on and taking it off).

Is there any other way to adjust focus? Maybe some tweak or config setting in the files or something? - in the absence of a mechanical adjustment (such as the lens distance slider).

I've had my Rift since May and have never been able to get anything to look sharp and clear so I've just had to put up with it.

I recall when I originally set up my Rift seeing a green cross and adjusting the position of the HMD on my face and using the slider underneath to get the cross in focus. I don't appear to be able to do that again, not that it made much difference anyway. The vertical line of the cross was always fine but the horizontal never was.

16 REPLIES 16

74Loki
Protege

What I can't fathom is why if I need glasses for distance I need them for Rift, since it's right there in my face. If I needed glasses for close up then yes I would assume I need to wear them for the Rift.

If you need glasses for distance then you will need them in rift. The lenses are set up for people with 20/20 vision. Just because it's right in front of your face doesn't mean you see it right in front of your face. The lenses in your rift are a pretty complicated, and fascinating, type of lens that bend light to trick your eyes into seeing "virtually". Just google something like, "How VR works" and you can read some much more in depth description of how it works. Your glasses essentially do the same thing that the lenses in your rift do but only in a much more simple way, they bend the light to compensate for your own lenses weaknesses. There are companies that make prescription inserts for rift. I got mine from WidMo VR https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/ for $65 US and they make a huge difference. Before even when I would wear my glasses in rift things were somewhat blurry, not to mention the discomfort of them smashed into my face.

soopytwist
Protege
I got the green cross to look as sharp as I possibly could - although since it's bright green it has a certain amount of bloom to it which can make it difficult to gauge just how sharp it is. I managed this by adjusting the top strap. The result is clearer text in my games, the downside is head pain after about half an hour because the strap is so tight

leppard2
Protege
I had the same experience with the green cross and the head pain.
I have the side straps as lose as i can get and have the top fairly tight , with the back triangle fairly high. 
I had to get VR cover face plate as it was so uncomfortable and was digging in to my face , it is better with it but not 100% maybe 80%  , I almost gave up and thought about selling it but i just learn to live with it if I want to have VR .

Maybe the next rift, if there is one will be more comfortable.

lensmandave
Superstar

leppard2 said:

I had the same experience with the green cross and the head pain.
I have the side straps as lose as i can get and have the top fairly tight , with the back triangle fairly high. 
I had to get VR cover face plate as it was so uncomfortable and was digging in to my face , it is better with it but not 100% maybe 80%  , I almost gave up and thought about selling it but i just learn to live with it if I want to have VR .

Maybe the next rift, if there is one will be more comfortable.

You should really have the back triangle low down over your head so that the 'bump' at the base of your skull is taking the Rift's weight. That way you don't need to tighten the side straps much. 
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
Yep, in the past I made the mistake of having the back triangle too high. Loosen all the straps and make the back triangle sit as low as possible, adjust the front tilt of the headset and then start tightening the straps.

soopytwist
Protege
Looks like I still need to play around with it. The downside is handing it over for others to wear and then having to re-adjust the damn thing again.

leppard2
Protege

Looks like I still need to play around with it. The downside is handing it over for others to wear and then having to re-adjust the damn thing again.

Yea i'm just not letting anyone on it lol to much hassle to set it up again.