cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

game wise,is the VIVE the cool hip kid and the oculus the old guy?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I go onto YouTube or the steam store every now and then, and they always seem to have a plethora of cool interesting edgy indie type games and ideas I had no idea even existed and aren't in the oculus store and they seem to much cooler than the middle of the road mass audience fair we seem to be stuck with forever. I wonder if on the one hand if they are somehow getting exclusives faster for trying out before release or something.

I also think game makers need to stop focusing on creating full games where its clear they are trying to fly before the platform has learned to walk.....and work more on games that are more simple VR set ups
for instance....take that incredible T-rex demo where it walks up to you...well....why not have a simple game where its in a warehouse trying to get you? no full game just a simple set up and go run and hide as that thing is actively looking for you. or a hide and seek game in a large building with robots looking for you. no need for multiple levels, just give me a warehouse with a T-rex that's walking around looking to eat you.  in any case, I feel like the Hive is getting an edge because they are wilkling to pump out more experimental looking games.

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

There are some amazing INDIE games on Steam, Onward probably being the most successfull.

Steam is a hotbed of innovation you just have to ignore the chaff. Its similar to the cinema where 1 only out of 100 movies released is worth going to see. But if you only allowed showings of the biggest blockbusters you'd turn your back on some great budget movies that later fund bigger quality titles. Remember James Cameron and Pirahna?

Everyone mention Onwards as a great indie game, but interestingly fail to mention any more, particular since as Onward was released over a year ago.  Having said that, of course Steam has some great games on it.  It is a near monopoly (something its fanboys fail to see), and with 1000 games released in a month some of them have to be good right?  Even for the Vive?

danknugz
Superstar
the only game that i needed steam for was onward, there is a very high shovelware ratio in VR games on steam, id say at least 20:1
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

snowdog said:

This has to be a troll thread, either that or the OP needs serious psychological help lmfao  😄

Don't you expect to sell your INDIE game on Oculus Home? Won't they just laugh and say we only have quality games here? So you either go to Steam or sell on your own site right? How can you critisice the OP for trolling and needing serious phycology if Steam is the very path youre heading towards? Unless your game is going to be AAA in quality and pass Oculus's high quality control??? I just don't understand your logic unless you're not actually serious about your game and you are a complete fantasist?

My game is going to be exclusive to the Oculus Store because once I get something playable I'm going to try and get funding from Facebook. I'm not going anywhere near Steam because it'll get lost in a sea of shite games.

And no, it won't be AAA quality, but it should be good enough to get through the Oculus Submission process and end up in the Gallery Titles section.

kzintzi
Trustee
why would I "wade through the chaff" when someone has done it for me? why would I spend the limited time I have for playing games testing all the shite that people keep spewing at Steam?

I have a fair amount of skill at writing code, and would love to have time to write stuff for VR, but if I don't have time to write my own "crappy environment" where EVERYTHING gets to be the way I want it, why would I spend ages going through the Steam "list of shit" to find something to play? glad you have time for that, personally I'd rather play stuff that has a minimum of content and quality - if only someone was curating and winnowing for me..

oh wait.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

Atmos73 said:

There are some amazing INDIE games on Steam, Onward probably being the most successfull.

Steam is a hotbed of innovation you just have to ignore the chaff. Its similar to the cinema where 1 only out of 100 movies released is worth going to see. But if you only allowed showings of the biggest blockbusters you'd turn your back on some great budget movies that later fund bigger quality titles. Remember James Cameron and Pirahna?

Everyone mention Onwards as a great indie game, but interestingly fail to mention any more, particular since as Onward was released over a year ago.  Having said that, of course Steam has some great games on it.  It is a near monopoly (something its fanboys fail to see), and with 1000 games released in a month some of them have to be good right?  Even for the Vive?

A lot of it really depends on what you consider indie. Onward is clearly an indie title since it's done by just 1 guy I think. So no question about that one. But most of the quality titles are made by more than just one person, so the question then is "what is indie?" Is Asseto Corsa an indie game? Dead Effect 2 VR? What about IL2:BoS? How about Robo Recall? I don't think there is a clear line as to what constitutes indie, so it makes more sense to simply talk about good games vs not so good ones. Incidentally, all of those except Robo Recall I listed are good games not available on OH. Some other good ones are: DCS, Redout, Descent, Overload (very early access), War Thunder and likely many others that are good but aren't game types that interest me.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

game wise,is the VIVE the cool hip kid and the oculus the old guy?

I go onto YouTube or the steam store every now and then

aaa....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

A lot of it really depends on what you consider indie. Onward is clearly an indie title since it's done by just 1 guy I think. So no question about that one. But most of the quality titles are made by more than just one person, so the question then is "what is indie?" Is Asseto Corsa an indie game? Dead Effect 2 VR? What about IL2:BoS? How about Robo Recall? I don't think there is a clear line as to what constitutes indie, so it makes more sense to simply talk about good games vs not so good ones. Incidentally, all of those except Robo Recall I listed are good games not available on OH. Some other good ones are: DCS, Redout, Descent, Overload (very early access), War Thunder and likely many others that are good but aren't game types that interest me.

Whether the developer is an indie developer or not has NOTHING to do with the amount of employees it has. This is a common misconception, particularly from people that don't work or have never worked in the video game industry. It's all in the name. Indie is short for INDEPENDENT. An indie developer is ANY developer that isn't owned or part-owned by a publisher and publishes their games themselves. Epic are an indie developer. Crytek are an indie developer. Platinum Games are an indie developer. All of those games you've listed above are indie games made by indie developers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes they did. And they can accept those offers BECAUSE they are indie developers working on a contract. If they weren't indie developers deals like that WOULDN'T be possible.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

• Indie game, any game (video, board-based, or otherwise) published or produced outside mainstream means
So Robo Recall The Climb Lone Echo were all funded by Oculus which makes them not Indie.

Wrong.

You don't know what "mainstream means" means 😄

But since you're all about definitions today, here's one:
Definition of Loser:

1) a person or thing that loses especially consistently. When a Vivarian argues in favor of the Vive they end up looking like a loser.

2) a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed. HTC has been forced to sell its company after proving to be a loser in both the Mobile and Virtual Reality markets.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah yes, because Wiki is a great source of accurate information.

Ask anyone that works in or has worked in the actual industry we're talking about and they'll tell you the exact same thing.

It doesn't matter if Oculus did the publishing or if Crytek/Epic published it themselves. They're independent developers and take on CONTRACTS to do work. They're not owned or part-owned by Oculus or any other publisher. It really isn't rocket surgery.