cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am out of USB ports and want to add a full HOTAS setup to my rig...

Mot666
Expert Protege
So I'm thinking that buying the Inateck USB expansion card recommended by Oculus seems like a good idea. Are they still the go to for Rift setups? Is there anything I should know about doing this before I commit? Cheers guys.
6 REPLIES 6

shiari
Heroic Explorer
The 4 port Inateck's are still the way to go for that yes, unless you want to splurge several times more money for a card that has a controller for each port. The Inateck has only one USB controller, but works great with two high bandwidth devices such as our sensors, plus two low bandwidth devices. You'll need a free PCI slot (of any size, I used a full size slot) and a molex or SATA power connector (it does come with splitters too).

Mot666
Expert Protege
Cheers. The Inateck was on special on Amazon so I got that. I might not even plug my sensors into it to start with as everything works fine the way it is, I might use it for the HOTAS (which is going to have three plugs, I think). It's just nice to have something there that will work if I ever need to plug my Rift into it.

bobzdar
Protege
I have the 4 port innateck pci-e card, I have 10-12 usb devices plugged in with no issues.  I have the headset and one camera plugged into usb 3 on the inateck card, the other camera on the built in usb 3 on my pc, and a bunch of other stuff (steering wheel/pedal/shifter setup, bt dongle, ups, external hdd etc.) plugged in on the other usb 2 ports.  No issues so far except my BT dongle does not like high speed usb ports (unrelated to the OR).  Everything else works fine plugged in wherever.  I'm also using 6' passive usb extension cables on the headset and one of the cameras with no issues to get two camera roomscale working, which is surprisingly excellent.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mot666 said:

So I'm thinking that buying the Inateck USB expansion card recommended by Oculus seems like a good idea. Are they still the go to for Rift setups? Is there anything I should know about doing this before I commit? Cheers guys.

An alternative possibility - does your monitor have USB hub capability, as many do? For low data-rate devices which won't be in use together (eg, HOTAS, X-Box one controller, mouse) then they could all hang off one USB2 socket via your monitor.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my Rift and two sensors plugged into the Innatek card.
Mouse, keyboard, couple other things plugged into motherboard usb 2.0 ports.
Joysticks, rudder pedals, plugged into powered USB 2.0 hub.

All working quite nicely for me, never had an issue.

Mot666
Expert Protege

AndyW1384 said:

Mot666 said:

An alternative possibility - does your monitor have USB hub capability, as many do? For low data-rate devices which won't be in use together (eg, HOTAS, X-Box one controller, mouse) then they could all hang off one USB2 socket via your monitor.

Nah, it's just a standard 24".