cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8K 360

zproxy
Expert Protege
Can S7 play 8K yet? Will S8 support GearVR, and be able to play 8k?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUwdtERUOM

12 REPLIES 12

bubimude
Explorer
I feel there's a lot of confusion around the resolution of a headset and the resolution of the video you're playing.  When you're looking at a TV, the resolution of the TV and the video playing on it are usually 1:1.  You're watching 1080p video on a 1080p tv screen and it totally makes sense.  However in VR its different.  If I watch a "4k" 360 degree video on a headset that has a "4k" screen, I'm actually just looking at a small section of that video at any given time.  With the current Gear VR for example, if I watch an 8k 360 degree video, I'm not missing out on any of the quality, because it would actually take more than an 8k video in 360 degrees to give me a 1:1 view of the picture.  I don't need an 8k HMD to appreciate that.
The limitation right now isn't the resolution of the hmd (screen), its the resolution which the devices can actually play back reliably.  
That's how I understand it anyways. 

patrick-taylor
Honored Guest
Does anyone have experience with equipment playing back 360 degree video at 8k? What equipment were you using and graphics card?

Also, are there any phones that support playback of 8k 360 video?

Reverend_Brown
Protege
The Exynos version of the S8 can handle up to 7840x3920 at 30fps, but not at 60fps.