cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pimax UHD HMD - "The Best Headset For Films"

It looks like there are some good things, and some bad things with this $300 HMD:

The first thing I noticed when I put it on was the complete lack of pixels. I mean it, there is absolutely no visible screen door effect that I could see. I was playing iOMoon which is already notorious for it’s beautiful textures and stunning lighting, so I was happy to see that things were extremely crisp and detailed. Adding to that I did not see any “God Rays” that often plague both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive for many users.

I found the item on GearBest.com while I was looking at other mobile VR HMD’s, currently it’s listed for about $350 which is not a bad price considering the clarity of the screens and the OpenVR/SteamVR support. The place I think this HMD will shine is for people who want to use VR while they are traveling. This HMD only requires one HDMI port and one USB 2.0 port which is usable with most laptops. It is EXTREMELY comfortable to wear and I could see myself falling asleep in this if I was in a car or on a plane. Because it has a 4K display it is PERFECT for using Virtual Desktop, BigScreen, and especially for watching movies in VR! Now I can’t wait for ALL HMD’s to be 4K or above! Truly exciting to get a glimpse of the future!

http://www.vrspies.com/realitycheckvr/pimax4kvrhmd/

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
72 REPLIES 72

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep I will be waiting for them as well, hanging my hat on the big two myself. At least for now. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I'll be selling my Vive

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Haha do you think I was going to keep the Vive forever?

Based on your posting history? Yes.

Atmos73 said:

If people want to wait till 2019 for Oculus that's up to them but for me life's too short

uuhh, if life is too short for you then why have you wasted over 15 months arguing in favor of your Vive on an Oculus forum? There are few things that prove to be a bigger waste of time than "online competitive arguing." Yet you are committed to it. hmm 😘

vannagirl
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Atmos73 said:

I'll be selling my Vive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Not at all Zenbane. I argued for Wands over 'shitty' control pad, s shame it took eight months after the fact for you Rifters finally realised what youve been missing.

Yet you are still waiting for Knuckles after 15+ months, and you may end up selling your Vive before you realize what you have been missing with Finger Tracking. And this is my point... you have been spamming this nonsense for over a year, where no amount of facts change your argument in the way it should for anyone who is capable of "learning." So when you say, "life is too short," it doesn't really make sense in your case. You've spent more time trying to defend your bad choice with the Vive than you have spent actually using your Vive. That's not the behavior of someone who believes "life is too short" to waste time 😄

Also, I still prefer my Gamepad over Hand Controllers for certain experiences. All of your "you dont know what you were missing," arguments were fairly meaningless. Gamepads are good for some things, hand controllers for others. It's all about the "right tool for the job."

For example, I prefer to play Battlezone with my XBox Gamepad even though it works fine with the hand controllers. I also prefer gamepad with Darknet and Farlands.

Percy1983
Superstar

Atmos73 said:

Haha do you think I was going to keep the Vive forever? Gen1 was always a stepping stone to Gen2 regardless of manufacturer.

If people want to wait till 2019 for Oculus that's up to them but for me life's too short and £500 a year for a major upgraded is neither here or there.

Ill gladly buy from HTC again but the Pimax is ticking all the boxes so far. 

Well it will be good when we get the vive consumer unit, they have certainly sold enough dev kits.

Looks like they have come on well with audio/comfort/controllers.

I do remember you arguing Oculus where ruining VR with hand tracking but in my view HTC have done more harm in distributing so many wand controllers as now many touch/knuckle games will have the be dumbed down to still work with their old dev kits.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Anonymous
Not applicable
No the old 'Room Scale VR' chestnut again. There are very few proper Room Scale games available tbh, because it's such a pain in the arse to develop for. The vast majority of motion controlled games are standing 360 degree games and have been since the Vive launched.

And anyone not playing gamepad controlled games is missing out on some top quality entertainment too. Chronos, Edge Of Nowhere, Witchblood, Subnautica, The Solus Project, POLLEN, Monstrum, Crystal Rift, ADR1FT, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter and The Town Of Light are among the most entertaining VR games available so far.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Zenbane - full of contradiction.

If that were true, then why did you just run from the debate? This is how the talking points have gone so far today:

"Rifters missed out on hand-controllers for 8 months."
-Atmos

"Vivarians just hit the 17 month mark where they are still missing out on finger tracking."
-Zenbane

"Oculus moves fast, games are short, prices have been cut."
-Atmos

You need to learn to demonstrate someone's contradiction as opposed to just typing the word. I literally proved your own contradiction regarding hand-controllers, since 17 months is more than twice as long as 8 months. Thus you once again move the Vivarian Goal Post 😉

Atmos73 said:

Its you who supports a format thats in such a rush to establish itself by spending millions on exclusives.

Boring regurgitated arguments that are still easily countered with the same facts:
  1. Vive rushed to establishment with their billion dollar Venture Capital Alliance. This ultimately played a role in their current demise (HTC is trying to sell the company) since the Vive didn't make enough money to pay back VCA loans.
  2. Vive rushed to market by focusing on Room-Scale instead of a quality immersive experience.
  3. Vive rushed to market without perfecting proper hand-controllers with finger-tracking. Instead they released over-sized bananas with a damn thumb pad. Cause thumbing a banana is elite?

Atmos73 said:

A format in such a rush to establish a userbase by slashing its prices for maximum growth.

HTC slashed prices too. Not just of the Vive, but of the company itself. Do you remember how many consecutive quarters HTC has reported financial losses for thus far? Facebook slashed Rift prices as a final nail in the HTC Vive coffin.

HTC is trying to sell their company to anyone, anywhere, at any price. That's the ultimate price cut!

Atmos73 said:

If you and Oculus are in no such rush why buy software with only 4 hours of game play rather than wait 2-5 years for long expansive gaming experiences?

The average Steam VR game is a mere 2-4 hours of gameplay (Call of the StarSeed, Fated), and less than half offer an actual AAA experience. Oculus titles average 4-6 hours with an actual AAA feel. The difference in quality and replayability is staggering. Which makes comments such as yours question what you have been actually doing when wearing your Vive HMD.

Atmos73 said:
Maybe Valve with their 3 games are ultimately playing the long game here but they dont call it Valve time for nothing do they?

If you think 3-games are going to save the Vive from its current state, or harm the Rift in any way...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Percy1983 said:
Well it will be good when we get the vive consumer unit, they have certainly sold enough dev kits.

Looks like they have come on well with audio/comfort/controllers.

I do remember you arguing Oculus where ruining VR with hand tracking but in my view HTC have done more harm in distributing so many wand controllers as now many touch/knuckle games will have the be dumbed down to still work with their old dev kits.

Y'know what's crazy to me, is to see him spend a year bragging about his current 'dev kit' and then coming in this thread to boast of selling it for what is clearly another 'dev kit.' It's crazy 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
That GIF in that spoiler tag is fanbloodytastic lmfao 😄 😄 😄