cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XING: The Land Beyond

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This evening I purchased, XING: The Land Beyond, and instantly fell in love with this puzzle-solving world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6lBTsHXiPI

XING: The Land Beyond is an atmospheric first-person puzzle-adventure game for the PC, PS4 and Virtual Reality, and set in the afterlife. Gameplay involves exploration, solving environment-based puzzles and gaining/using powers such as rain and snow to progress through levels.

Spiritualism, mysticism and logic come together in the land of XING, where you will traverse mountains, deserts, forests, volcanoes and more.

I just completed the first environment, and I can't wait to explore the rest. I'm naturally drawn to these types of games due to their ties to the Myst and Obduction genre. If you're a puzzle solving fan like me, then this is a must-have for your VR Library.

Some general feedback about the game:
  • Movement is full locomotion in a unique way: Oculus Touch triggers are used to control movement, Touch controller positioning is used to control speed and direction.
  • The player can "jump" over obstacles, which isn't very common in these types of games. While simple, this feature does add some unique flavor to the puzzle-solving experience.
  • Some of the gameplay environments remind me of Esper 2 (another great VR puzzle game)
  • The game fluctuates between a cartoon-like state to sequences that are quite stunning, the likes of Call of the Starseed and Chronos.
I wouldn't say that the game is a full AAA experience, but it is pretty damn close!

Links:
http://xingthegame.com/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1012092142167066/
17 REPLIES 17

pjenness
Rising Star
Hiya

Decided to give this a go. Am finding some oddities with the menu and settings.

I want to be as free walking as possible so in VR settings turned on the joystick mode.. however accidently hi the pixel sampling option and now everything is completely pixellated, and I cant revert it, even after restarting.

Yikes!!

Seems like a good looking game, and I lovef Myst...so want to try

Cheers

-P

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oh that sucks! Does it let you change the settings back? If not... uninstall then re-install :'(

I'm gonna get started on the second "world" tomorrow.

Star-lizard
Rising Star
How does this compare to games like the Robertson's

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Robinson's has a stronger AAA feel:
  1. A very detailed storyline with 2 side-kicks accompanying you, a robot and a dinosaur.
  2. Both side-kicks play crucial roles in the adventure/puzzle aspects of the game
  3. There is a large list of Unlocks that range from personal leisure time (playing basketball, teaching your dinosaur new tricks), to research and filling up your gallery, to finding hidden quests
  4. There are stories within stories; the story you create as the main character, but also the stories unlocked by the electronic recording devices found throughout the game
To me the biggest difference is that Robinson's is more about "exploration" whereas Xing is more about mental fortitude.

Robinson's leans more towards Tomb Raider style adventure/puzzle, whereas Xing leans heavily towards Myst/Obduction: the player aint exploring a damn thing until their brain solves some challenging mysteries.

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Ok Thanks , I haven't played many games so kind of new to all of this. My first game has been elite dangerous and I'm still trying to figure out what I like 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@Star-lizard - which of your current VR games are your favorite?

Star-lizard
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

@Star-lizard - which of your current VR games are your favorite?

So far I'd say Robo Recall and elite dangerous (elite demands all your free time) , however I find nearly all my games are similar , I have the games from the summer salelike  dead and burried, farlands etc , then I have the climb, I like it but I keep hitting the" A "  button when trying to jump causing me to get frustrated, Superhot VR, Valkyrie, Ever Space, Ripcoil, Apollo 11. For the most part I find most are shooters. There is nothing wrong with that other than the fact most are shooters. I don't really have a variety so that's why I am curious about games like the Robertson's, Lone echo , and xing 

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
It looks pretty cool I would give it a shot...... When I get free time to play games again * sigh*
WAAAGH!

Pablito
Heroic Explorer
Thumbs up for Xing!  Not quite as detailed as, "Abduction" but certainly beautiful enough, with perfect scale and story depth.  Made it through the first part(tropical beach scene)- the next is a house in a forest.  Can't wait to explore!