cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Did you had the bad "Mura effect" with the new Summer's Sales Oculus Bundle or D1 Edition?

Dan1018
Adventurer
Someone say that compared to the firsts units of Oculus Rift CV1 the newest (the ones we have found in the new summer bundle, with the new padding foam) can have more chances to find the ugly Mura effect. This effect can be seen only in very dark scenes, and for someone is green, for others is white.
Please tell in this poll if you had this problem (or if you hadn't the Mura, it's important to say it anyway for balanced results).

Poll: https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

I add some pictures, I try to show it.
Those pictures has been drawn (so it's not the real thing it's just a ""simulation"")

This one is real, found searching from google image, it's not easy to capture (image credits @flexy123 on the Oculus forum).
jq8d1we0ria9.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

VRLAX
Protege
I got the new package and mura effect is very prominent when it's very dark.
It goes away if I spud-off so I'm keeping this one because RMAing is just pain in the ass

flexy123
Superstar
Well...it sorta is, but your opinion may change when you play a horror game like Affected. Otherwise I am also doing fine with Spud off, but this makes *some* games really look bad. I guess it really depends what games you play. And the idea to have a Rift that can only play certain titles "alright"...well isn't very appealing.

VRLAX
Protege

flexy123 said:

but your opinion may change when you play a horror game like Affected.
So, no chance of that lol

OriginalSnake
Explorer
Support are now gonna RMA the second rift, they said they are in investigating the issue and they cant gurantee I will receive a defect free unit.  But as this one is worse over the right eye it makes it unplayable because it feels like it's always out of focus and makes you queasy.. on the first one it was over both and though distracting it didn't make you feel sick because it was uniform.. 

Another note the first rifts facial foam was like a soft sponge and not as good quality as the second one they sent me which was a thicker foam that felt more comfortable. 

I have asked if I could keep it to swap out in case the new one they send me comes with the lesser sponge...

Here's hoping my third will be defect free if not I may have to call it quits and ask for a full refund...

flexy123
Superstar
The entire "issue" with this is really saddening and it kills my entire VR fun currently. I really wish they find what's going on.

As for the facial interfaces, of course I don't KNOW...but seeing that the interfaces are something that is worn and CAN be sticky/sweaty whatever....I imagine that they don't actually have a use for them when they come with RMAs...I'd not be surprised if they're actually being discarded. (I am pretty sure they will tell you whether you can keep it or not. I am not using the "new" foam since I use the Vrcover interface now, but I too think that the old/thicker was better. The new one just feels "cheap".

Just out of curiosity what is the first 3 serial numbers of your second Rift? Like WMHD30x or WMHD31x or something? Because the "thick" foam suggests an "old" unit (WMHD30xxxx) where the mura problem should either not exist or be extremely rare. So I am confused why your old unit has the mura stuff going on...

If now actual "old" units also show that problem...that would be interesting...

Dan1018
Adventurer

flexy123 said:

cut

If now actual "old" units also show that problem...that would be interesting...

take a look to the poll results at first post you can find some stats about old units with mura https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b
old units was another story reading those results, but they had few cases.

OriginalSnake
Explorer
It's 31.

Also they have said I can keep the facial interface so that's a bonus.

I will let you know how the Rift is when it arrives.

flexy123
Superstar
Ok I am just reading my own email, he said "typically you can keep the facial intf. and the cable", but for this we need to inspect the entire headset so we appreciate if you send the cable. Which I read as I can keep the Intf.
That I will definitely do.

Salvate_2112
Explorer
+1 God Ray issues on black backgrounds, games appear fine. Milky spot inside both lenses.

flexy123
Superstar
God rays, we all have them...and especially if some game/app designers do stupid things like using white/bright text on black background. Basically, the higher the contrast, the more god rays. Good VR designers avoid such things.
And "milky spots" COULD be internal lens reflections. Have them as well.