New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

Comments

• OneTooOneToo Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    @OneToo I've sent you an updated build if you want to test it out.
    It is working without a web connection now.   Thank you for all of your efforts.
  • sherpa25sherpa25 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone who've tried the OTT (latest 0.8.1.1) with Project Cars 2, notice jitter and a negative impact in performance?  I know I can enter Supersampling in-game but I'm using OTT to run the Performance Headroom overlay to help in finding optimum game settings with my hardware.  Not sure if you have this game, but any idea, @ApollyonVR

• ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 411
    Trinity
    @sherpa25 Sorry i don't have Project Cars so i cannot check. If you want to see if it is OTT causing things, create a profile for PC, if you don't have one already, or modify the existing profile. Set Super Sampling to 0 and leave everything else on default. Setting it to 0 should make sure that Super Sampling is disabled and the game will run at it's native SS, whatever that is.

If you do not have a profile then the Global SS will always be used. So if you have that set at 1.5, to get a nicer looking Oculus Home for example, but you do not have a profile for the game you start, OTT will do nothing since it does not detect the game. But, any game/app that does not have a profile will/should inherit the global super sampling setting. What this means is that since OTT super samples at the global setting on startup, that game should now run at 1.5x.

Cheers!
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Had jitters with PC2 till I set ss to 0 in game. OTT settings 1.6ss asw 45fps cpu above normal.   6700k [email protected] 4.6ghz, gtx 1080 16 gig ram, Rift CV1. Smooth as silk with up to 22 cars in scene.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2017
    @sherpa25 Sorry i don't have Project Cars so i cannot check. If you want to see if it is OTT causing things, create a profile for PC, if you don't have one already, or modify the existing profile. Set Super Sampling to 0 and leave everything else on default. Setting it to 0 should make sure that Super Sampling is disabled and the game will run at it's native SS, whatever that is.

If you do not have a profile then the Global SS will always be used. So if you have that set at 1.5, to get a nicer looking Oculus Home for example, but you do not have a profile for the game you start, OTT will do nothing since it does not detect the game. But, any game/app that does not have a profile will/should inherit the global super sampling setting. What this means is that since OTT super samples at the global setting on startup, that game should now run at 1.5x.

Cheers!
    Thanks @ApollyonVR.  Yes, I have profiles for all games I use in VR.   It was just the jitter I got, but I think I just found the cause (I hope, still testing, but so far good), w/c was Oculus Home.  I have to turn OHome off before running PC2 as it eats up so much FPS, don't know why.  With only OTT and the Oculus service running, I get better performance.

My other issue though I noticed is even w/ ASW mode=45fps in global and profile, Perf Headroom keeps showing my fps going above/below 45fps, and doesn't lock to 45fps, so like it's not reading OTT settings.  Shouldn't it lock at 45fps, as long as I don't go below 45?  Don't know why, like maybe the game's blocking it.  Even Ctrl-3 doesn't activate it.

PS.  Another weird issue.  Just started my PC, started OTT ('Launch OHome on service start' is ticked, but 'Launch OHome on tool start' is unticked), it didn't start Oculus Home.  I aso have 'Start Oculus service when tool starts' ticked, so it appears Oculus Service didn't start?  Could this be an issue? 

I'll try your suggestion too, @Rosgillies.  Thanks.  I just observe my i5-4670k has been a big weakling on my VR sims.  Running many low, few med settings, Performance Headroom is very low.
    Art3mis
    Sherpa 25, if you have a 10 series card especially a 1080 or 1080ti, you really need an i76700k to match and avoid cpu bottlenecks. Your i5 may be getting a bit overwhelmed at times processing GPU data.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2017
    Sherpa 25, if you have a 10 series card especially a 1080 or 1080ti, you really need an i76700k to match and avoid cpu bottlenecks. Your i5 may be getting a bit overwhelmed at times processing GPU data.
    Mine's a 980Ti.  Any idea why ASW lock to 45 doesn't turn on in the game?  Should I have to create the ASW registry switch?
    (For 1080/1080Ti, is an i7 really necessary, over an i5?)
    Art3mis
    I had an i5 in when I got my gtx1080. Everything seemed to run fine till I got my Rift CV1. Then I noticed lags etc. Bought the 6700K, clocked to 4.6 ghz (I`m on watercooling by the way) and all sims worked far better with higher settings in VR straight away. OTT has improved things even more. I lock to ASW 45fps and it works in game no probs. Could`nt say really why you have that problem. Maybe the guru ApollyonVR (may he always be revered LOL) could help you there.
    Trinity
    The performance display should show a yellow line on the left graph if it is locked at 45. If it cannot maintain 45 i believ asw will switch to auto or simillar to try and get better fps. Need to do some testing on that though. 
  • mvosonegromvosonegro Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Most times when I launch the OTT and it in turn launches the Oculus app, nothing shows up in the HMD, the display is dark.  I end up having to close and launch the Oculus app several times to get the HMD to work.
    Trinity
    @mvosonegro Not sure what is causing that to be honest. Do you also start the OVR service on OTT start? In either case you can try and change the <StartHomeDelay> parameter in the config.xml file. Just open the file with a text editor and find that parameter. It should by default be set to 3 seconds, so try increasing it to 5 or similar and see if that works better.

• legi0legi0 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    @ApollyonVR does your tool apply the Super sampling to SteamVR as well, if opened via the Oculus Library or seperately?
    Trinity
    0.81.2 is up for grabs on the front page.
    @legi0 Yes it should, but some games might not work properly, but i hope most do.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,664 Valuable Player
    @legi0 Yes it should, but some games might not work properly, but i hope most do.
    Thanks so much for the continued updates!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • mcfilmcfil Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi. games profiles stop working after the Oculus home closes first time.
    This means that I have obliged restart OTT every time to make profiles game worked.
    Why?

Trinity
    Oculus Home needs to be running for OTT to detect game starts and apply profile settings. As long as OTT is running you should be able to start and close Home without having to restart OTT. Or at least that’s the idea. If you need to restart OTT every time you restart Home i made an error somewhere. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oculus Home needs to be running for OTT to detect game starts and apply profile settings. As long as OTT is running you should be able to start and close Home without having to restart OTT. Or at least that’s the idea. If you need to restart OTT every time you restart Home i made an error somewhere. 
    Just to clarify this, as I run Project Cars 2 (PC2) with Oculus Home closed, because it takes some significant resource.  So after starting OHome, I should close it only after running PC2, or can I close it before running PC2?  My previous procedure was to close OHome after starting it (ie. just after the health warning), then run PC2 and only OTT.  
    Trinity
    If you want/need to close Home you should do it after starting your game or OTT will not detect it and will not apply the profile settings. The game detection process starts when Home is detected as running, and stops when Home is closed. When you start a game, look in the Log window you should see if the game is detected and the profile applied, or you can use the Audio confirmation to get that info.
  • mcfilmcfil Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited October 2017
    Yes. I need to restart OTT every time I restart Oculus Home. if I don't restart the OTT -the games profiles are not working.
    (In Log window there is no record that the profile is applied)

Art3mis
    Just installed 81.2. I have unistalled 81.1 first. Getting an error on OTT startup,  Could not open the oculus database. Cannot set command text while a datareader is active. I am running as administrator and nothing has been changed or added since 81.1. Any ideas?
  • TurraniusTurranius Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Just installed 81.2. I have unistalled 81.1 first. Getting an error on OTT startup,  Could not open the oculus database. Cannot set command text while a datareader is active. I am running as administrator and nothing has been changed or added since 81.1. Any ideas?
    Same here. I get that on startup and if I go into View/Add Profiles and click "Close".
    Art3mis
    Glad I`m not alone. What`s with the Datareader is active bit? Hope ApollyonVr sees our posts.
    Trinity
    I have no idea at this point why the datareader is not closing as it should, there have been no changes to that part of the code between 0.81.1 and 0.81.2. For me everything is working as it should. It's possible the reader encounters a problem and never closes properly. If you could enable debug mode, replicate the issue and send me the ott.log it would help. I can also look into changing that routine to use another method and see if that works better.

Cheers!
  • TurraniusTurranius Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2017
    Here is a log for you.

Important lines to find:
    At application start:
    2017-10-11 17:03:51 GetFiles: Cannot set CommandText while a DataReader is active

After clicking on View/Add Profiles and then clicking "Close"
    2017-10-11 17:04:37 GetFiles: Cannot set CommandText while a DataReader is active

http://grandis.nu/downloads/ott.zip

I accidentally started it again at
    2017-10-11 17:05:28 Starting up...
    So everything after that is a new launch without debug.

The only change I've made since the last version and this is installing Steam. I did not have that on the previous version, if you think that matters.
  • jollymonATXjollymonATX Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    excellent
  • SitruzSitruz Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist

Great work @ApollyonVR. Fantastic continued support of your tool. I have it running even if I'm playing a AAA with its own SS settings. Love the performance and PD overlays. Keep up the good work mate. Cheers. 
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    HI Apollo, 

As a feature request I would like the ability to see what OTT thinks the current SS value to be:

I.e.
    Global setting of 1.6
    Profile Setting of 1.3
    When the game has started I'd like somewhere on the window to show that it thinks it should be displaying at 1.3 or 1.6. 

1.3 in OTT / 1.3 in Game (via Overlay) would mean that the profile has loaded correctly prior to game launch
    1.3 in OTT / 1.6 in Game (via Overlay) would mean that the profile didn't inject prior to launch
    1.6 in OTT / 1.6 in Game (via Overlay) would mean that the profile wasn't working at all
    1.6 in OTT / 1.3 in Game (via Overlay) would mean I've been drinking too much
  • Muskoka1Muskoka1 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Link for latest version on first page not working.
    MSI Z370 Gaming Plus - i5 9600k 5ghz 1.325 vcore (60c when gaming) - 32gb 2666 - 1080ti - Win 10 Pro - Rift S - Rift CV1
  • KemerosKemeros Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Great update. :)

You can simplify it even more though.

You only need the close on x option because if you check none of the options it will minimise in the tray anyway. Having both checks is not necessary.

Please add a tick to disable the tray notification if you ever have the chance. :D

Thx for the update!

Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2017
    @ApollyonVR, FYI, audio doesn't revert back to speakers after closing OTT even with 'Use Audio Switcher' ticked and 'speakers' are selected as fallback. Oh, and this is with v0.8.1.1 as I don't see any necessary changes in 0.8.1.2 relevant to my use.