cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Did you had the bad "Mura effect" with the new Summer's Sales Oculus Bundle or D1 Edition?

Dan1018
Adventurer
Someone say that compared to the firsts units of Oculus Rift CV1 the newest (the ones we have found in the new summer bundle, with the new padding foam) can have more chances to find the ugly Mura effect. This effect can be seen only in very dark scenes, and for someone is green, for others is white.
Please tell in this poll if you had this problem (or if you hadn't the Mura, it's important to say it anyway for balanced results).

Poll: https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

I add some pictures, I try to show it.
Those pictures has been drawn (so it's not the real thing it's just a ""simulation"")

This one is real, found searching from google image, it's not easy to capture (image credits @flexy123 on the Oculus forum).
jq8d1we0ria9.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

flexy123
Superstar
As for the Mura issue, I am absolutely convinced it is software. I am "obsessing" over this crap currently and even wrote tools so I can edit the Spud calibration images, with some VERY interesting results. (I can get the Rift to display *really* dark blacks with an actually very good gamma curve, which will likely also get rid of banding. I still haven't entirely managed to eliminate the mura "arcs" yet, still trying to understand how and why the Spud calibration patterns create these). Rest assured should I find a way to eliminate it, or some solution that everyone can use..I will let people know)

OriginalSnake
Explorer
That would be great. If you find a solution you should sell it to oculus! It is appalling that a customer is closer to finding a solution than their entire Oculus tech team!

flexy123
Superstar
Unfortunately I don't think it's solvable in software any longer, after having spent way too much on this. Your best bet would be to turn off Spud altogether respective RMA. Did you already get a replacement unit, and is it better? I still have mine here and have not sent it off yet.

Dan1018
Adventurer

flexy123 said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's solvable in software any longer, after having spent way too much on this. Your best bet would be to turn off Spud altogether respective RMA. Did you already get a replacement unit, and is it better? I still have mine here and have not sent it off yet.

I got a refound and bought a new one. the new unit have got mura on the bright scenes. so now there is some mura on the dark scenes but is very slightly ....but in bright scenes it's visible. it's like to see a veil over the 2 lenses. I cant' see shades of intensity, it's uniform, white/grey color. Do you may have some experiment I could make to try to fix it please?

OriginalSnake
Explorer
I'm still waiting, I've tracked it and they received the returned unit on the 2nd October but when checking my orders it seems they've not shipped the replacement yet....

God knows what the holdup is.

I'll post back here with the results as soon as it arrives.

CmdrGoodDeath
Explorer

I'm still waiting, I've tracked it and they received the returned unit on the 2nd October but when checking my orders it seems they've not shipped the replacement yet....

God knows what the holdup is.

I'll post back here with the results as soon as it arrives.

Well nothing yet?  😛

flexy123
Superstar
Cybereality just dropped in another thread "there are issues with the current stock", and obviously we could speculate now what these issues are. (COUGH, COUGH). Just saying I am gladly taking 1-2 weeks longer wait if this means we get good units back!!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Just to clarify, my comment from the other thread was specifically regarding the shipping of replacement inventory. Not anything related to the quality of the product itself. We are still investigating the issue from this thread, and I don't know of a solution right now but we are looking into it. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

chinesedave
Honored Guest
I am getting this terrible green noise on my brand new Rift, I have a new "VR Ready" HP Omen 17 w205na that I purchaced just for Vr purposes.

I see here that some Oculus staff have now replied, what is the recommended course of action?

I have literally just spent thousands of pounds and it is unusable. Please help. 

ny6y89dudfuv.jpg
gj140day239f.jpg

OriginalSnake
Explorer

Just to clarify, my comment from the other thread was specifically regarding the shipping of replacement inventory. Not anything related to the quality of the product itself. We are still investigating the issue from this thread, and I don't know of a solution right now but we are looking into it. Thanks.

So If my replacement unit still has the same issue what would be your recommended course of action? I have received an email today saying my replacement has been shipped...