cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timezones and a VR enabled world - how will/should we adapt?

kzintzi
Trustee
so, the dead and buried tournament thread made me wonder what people do/think about doing in regards to timezones in a VR enabled world.. I know that WOW people are used to getting up at weird hours to raid (or whatever it is they do) but the rest of the world doesn't do that..

so, what do you think? what do you do?

should we have a tool that lets us know the Timezone of our friends in Home? or on their avatar? or should there be some sort of system-magic that lets us call up information about people we are friends with (ie integrated into the underlying VR sub-systems instead of through an app).
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
5 REPLIES 5

kzintzi
Trustee
there is irony in starting a Timezone discussion when in a "non-standard timezone" :smile:

either that or no-one else lies awake at night thinking these things :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Richooal
Consultant
I think the problem is no different for VR than it is for all existing communication.
I'm in a "standard" timezone (Brisbane, God's Country). If I want to call someone in a non standard zone I just need to check what time it is before I call.
It's the internet that's causing all these time problems for us. We need to stop the internet or stop spinning.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well seeing as us Brits invented time I personally think that the rest of the world should switch to GMT and BST. Problem solved  😄

kojack
MVP
MVP
VR is the future. Obviously we all want to live in the future.
But not too far in the future, we're not greedy.
GMT+10 sounds like a good future to me, all of the world should adopt it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

falken76
Expert Consultant
I have been playing multiplayer games online since the 90s, Timezones have not been an issue for me almost ever.  I played Quake Mods like Team Fortress with people all around the world because the random servers you had to find on the internet had tons of people playing all the time.  Most games were like that.  But I think the demographics on gamers was larger at that time than VR gaming is right now.  There's just not enough people that own this tech right now is what I believe is the problem.