cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a replacement HMD

cybernettr
Superstar
I posted earlier about how my headset was experiencing a random flashing while I was using it. Now the problem has gotten worse with it frequently blacking out, so I opened a support ticket with oculus.  After some back-and-forth with support, it appears that the problem is not resolvable by email, and it is out of warranty.  The next step may be getting it repaired or replaced.  Knowing that repairing electronic devices often just isn't worth it, I'm thinking of simply buying a new or remanufactured replacement HMD.   However, is it possible to save money by buying just a headset? Since I already have the carrying case, the sensors, and the Xbox and touch controllers, I don't need new ones.  I could just look on eBay but I'd rather not mess around with that. 
18 REPLIES 18

cybereality
Grand Champion
Unfortunately, replacement headsets are not for sale at this time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybernettr
Superstar
 I guess my only other options are buying a whole new Rift or getting my old one repaired. Best Buy used to sell Rifts, but I'll bet repairs or inspections are not something the local Geek Squad can handle. 

That's a real bummer.  They really should be selling them separately in my opinion.

If it were me, with no other option, i'd order the new bundle and take some time tearing the broken one down and see if i could fix it, at the same time, you're learning more about how the headset works - if you're in to that kind of thing.

Blog about it on here if you do pull it to pieces!   🙂 
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

nilz23
Explorer
"Unfortunately, replacement headsets are not for sale at this time. "

WTF?!?!?

nilz23
Explorer
Ok, it's really not worth even bothering to fix a broken one, but the fact that you can't buy one on its own....

cybernettr
Superstar

Blog about it on here if you do pull it to pieces!   🙂 

I probably will! IFixit also does teardowns. 

I will definitely save the old one for parts. I've already had to replace one of the earphones. 

cybernettr
Superstar
 Well, I just heard back from Oculus support and it turns out that oculus does NOT have a repair service at this time. Nor do they have a remanufactured products program. Nor do they have the ability to sell just the headset. So, it's off to eBay I go, I guess. One of the drawbacks of being a (semi) early adopter. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can understand not a repair service - but can we get a comment on why we can not buy the headset alone from the store or from Oculus directly after a ticket? 

I can understand if it was like 1-2 year release wait cycle - but 3-4 wait cycle will need the option going forward. If I can, I like to throw any weight I have on a comment from Oculus on why we can't do this just yet?

Not that I haven't any problems, but It is a bit scary if I can not buy a replacement unit:)

The conversation has come up several times with no reason given (i think).  Here's the last one.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56235/summer-rift-sale-great-but
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3