cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus rift on NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello team,

I bought a new Rift and i would like to test it before buying a new gaming PC.

For now i have ASUS N56V laptop with below specs:

Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M
8 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

During the configuration i have noticed that Rift display remain black, is it related to my poor GPU?.
Can my GPU run the Rift even with if it was not ready for it?, if yes why i have the black screen issue?

Looking forward to hear your answers.

Thanks,
Tareq
3 REPLIES 3

Ybalrid
Expert Protege
Most likely your laptop is using a technology called "Optimus" that prevent the usage of the Rift what-so-ever. You will see nothing show up on the screens.
And if it wasn't the case, it will run very badly anyway. I have a similar PC but with a 660M that doesn't have Nvidia Optimus, Rift run below the normal framerate in Oculus Home it it with a Rift CV1
(If I take a DK2 out of the closet, it can go above 75FPS)

If you want to try out your headset, try to find somebody that has a compatible computer. Or wait until getting your own... I'm affraid you don't have any other options ^^"

CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3 Developer at LIV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ybalrid for your answer.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That machine is far, far below the minimum requirements. Even if it worked, the performance would be so choppy as to be unusable. However, I doubt it will work because it likely has Nvidia Optimus, which is a power saving feature to use integrated graphics, but it never worked well and ended up messing up things like video output on HDMI. You may be best getting a desktop computer that is going to work. See the Oculus Ready PCs here: 
https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV