cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft + The NFL = VR + Football

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It wasn't too long ago that the idea of merging VR with a sport like Football was ridiculed by some. I noticed its first inception as part of a plot in the HBO original series, Ballers (season 2). Sometimes it feels painfully apparent when something is going to happen for reals irregardless of naysayer protests. And now, it has arrived!

It seems Microsoft's role in all of this will be centered around their ability to function as a platform provider ala Windows Mixed Reality:

Microsoft announces partnership with NFL to Broadcast Games in VR this Season

The NFL has partnered with NextVR, one of the world’s leading VR content producers, to get the action on the gridiron into your VR headset. Several games this season have been broadcast to Samsung Gear VR and Google Daydream users already. Going forward, at least one game per week is scheduled to be available in VR via those platforms and through one of the 5 different brands of Microsoft’s Mixed Reality headsets.

http://360vrcommunity.com/2017/10/09/microsoft-announces-partnership-with-nfl-to-broadcast-games-in-...
9 REPLIES 9

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Also, current schedule for those interested. I plan to attend at least one:

2017 NFL VR Experiences:
Green Bay Packers at Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, October 15
Los Angeles Chargers at New England Patriots on Sunday, October 29
Dallas Cowboys at Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, November 12
Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders on Sunday, November 26
Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants on Sunday, December 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pfff no kansas city chiefs? Lammmmeeeee going 5 - 0 baby:))

cybernettr
Superstar
NFL attendance is way down due to the unnecessary controversy kicked up by some of the rabble-rousing players. If things keep going at the current rate, VR  will be the only NFL that's left!  😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
This isn't Football. This is American Football, you crazy fool. 😮

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I love all of these responses.

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
soo.. can we watch NFL on the rift or not?? 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I really hope in the future all sports are broadcast in VR. Surely they would make a lot of money. 

My personally Sport is MMA. I watch UFC every week and I would love to watch UFC live using my Rift in VR.

Lets say the ticket price was £10 or £20 for a big UFC event, I would be more then happy to play. Imagine you had options to change the camera view using your Oculus remote. I could sit comfortably on my sofa and then switch to inside the Octogon and then outside the cage as if I'm sat ring side. 

That would be an amazing experience. And obviously for football fans, rugby fans, basketball fans etc etc they would surely love this experience too.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're not too far away from having major sports events broadcast in VR as standard, I reckon we'll see it in 5-10 years.

zboson
Superstar
It's not football. It's American handball. There is very little action of the ball with the foot.  This reminds me of one of my favorite shirts I wear in Europe which most Europeans don't get but occasional I get some laughs.

0z5c16kvahzu.jpg