cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor tracking quality, audio glitches, lagging etc after half hour of use

Urma_Gurd
Protege
I have a self built gaming PC which has had no issues with games, and have just added Oculus Rift Touch Bundle. At first everything is fine, perfect VR experience, but after about 20 minutes to half hour of use, the tracking starts to get jittery, the audio sounds garbled and corrupted, and games start to lag. Exit out the VR menus and you can see in Oculus application that there are poor tracking quality issues, either on the sensors or the headset or both.

I've tried every USB port combinations (USB 2.0 and 3.0). I've disconnected all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and the 3 Oculus USB plugs. I've killed all other applications with Task Manager. I reboot the PC and things are ok again briefly but then it all goes wrong again.

Please help diagnose.

PC specs:
i5-6600K
ASUS Z170-P mobo
8GB RAM
MSI GTX 970
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063

61 REPLIES 61

Richooal
Consultant

Urma.Gurd said:

And so it seems the ASUS Z170 motherboard is known on this forum to be incompatible with Rift

Just to be clear and not mislead people.......
The motherboard is certainly not incompatible with the Rift.
I believe that there are reports of the ASUS software being incompatible. I'm using the ASUS Z170-P with it's own USB ports (no add-on card) and the Rift runs fine. I had to uninstall all the ASUS software that came with it though.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

I actually just started getting this jittering issue this morning.

First time I had ever seen this issue took off the headset and went to other things I don't need a headache lol.

WAAAGH!

Urma_Gurd
Protege
As above, I have already uninstalled all the ASUS software and still have these issues. If you search these forums you’ll see a lot of people with this motherboard having identical issues.

But it's interesting you have a Z170-P and are not having any issues. Can you clarify:
  • What OS version (exact version)?
  • What graphics card?
  • What games are you playing with Oculus?
  • What CPU?
  • What memory (speed and size)?
  • Are you using front USBs, or just the rear USBs?
  • What other USB devices have you plugged in to Z170-P?

Urma_Gurd
Protege

Morgrum said:

I actually just started getting this jittering issue this morning.

First time I had ever seen this issue took off the headset and went to other things I don't need a headache lol.

Do you know if Windows installed any updates in the last week? You can check in Windows Updates->Update History

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

good call maybe last night or this morning

Nope my last update was 9/30

Edit to the Edit.

FIXED!

The issue ended up being a power management problem for some reason my computer decided to take itself off of high performance mode and set itself to energy saver mode...... Yea dumb computer!

WAAAGH!

Urma_Gurd
Protege
So installed the Inateck 4-Port USB 3.0 PCI-E Card KTU3FR-4P and same problem.

I don't have a CD drive in my PC so went to this link to download latest:
https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html
It says "No additional drivers are needed for Win8, it has built-in support for the FL1100 chipset." So do you need to install drivers for Win10?

Anyway, I installed them from the link... and still Oculus application says "USB driver update recommended".

So I system restored to before the driver install, and instead downloaded these:
https://support.frescologic.com/portal/kb/articles/latest-drivers - FLUSB3.0-3.8.33709

Oculus application is now happy.

BUT! Still same issue after 20 mins or so of playing.

So what now? I've just wasted £20 on a PCI E card. 

Richooal
Consultant

Urma.Gurd said:

But it's interesting you have a Z170-P and are not having any issues. Can you clarify:

I had issues, badly stuttering sound and tracking making things unplayable after only a couple of minutes.
  • What OS version (exact version)?

Windows 10 Build 15063
  • What graphics card?

MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC edition
  • What games are you playing with Oculus?

The problem happened back in early July but the 2 games it was noticeable in were Robo Recall and Nanite Fulcrum (mini game). They have both been flawless since removing the ASUS software.
  • What CPU?

Intel i5 6600k @ 3.5 GHz
  • What memory (speed and size)?

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333
  • Are you using front USBs, or just the rear USBs?

I've used Front/Rear and all Rear. Both work the same. For the last few months they've all been on the rear sockets for tidiness.
  • What other USB devices have you plugged in to Z170-P?

Corsair RGB Strafe on USB 3.0 (rear)
Steelseries Sensei mouse on USB 2.0 (rear)

While it's obvious that people with the ASUS Z170 boards are having problems, I think that we are seeing "Z170" in searches simply because they are very popular boards. The search results I found mentioned Z170 as a system spec, but the problems weren't all with the board.
Good luck with your investigation, I hope you sort it soon.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Star-lizard
Rising Star

Urma_Gurd
Protege

LOL, that article just says this for USB problems:
"Some Rift users have experienced problems with the USB controller on their motherboard. The response from Oculus is to update drivers or buy a USB expansion card, but if you want a real solution, check out these motherboards that work with your Rift."

I have completely exhausted the normal cable, socket, motherboard, expansion, USB drivers, OS update route. Given that some ASUS Z170-P owners can get this to work with same OS, CPU and almost GFX card as me, that leaves 3 things left:
  • Software
  • Firmware (BIOS)
  • Memory speed (mine is Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 3000Mhz kit)
I've seen other comments about running the Z170 at memory speeds anything other than "stock", however my stock memory is 3000. I tried underclocking to as low as 1866 and still same issues. I'll try underclocking to 1333 tonight.

Edit: 3 things, added firmware

Urma_Gurd
Protege

Richooal said:
2 x 4GB DDR3 1333
Good luck with your investigation, I hope you sort it soon.

Yeah I'll try underclocking my 3000 to 1333 tonight, as other than that, our systems are pretty much identical.

If that doesn't work, then I'll install a fresh Win10 on a temp partition. If that works, then looks like a reinstall of Win10 is on the cards! If it doesn't.... maybe BIOS? What ASUS BIOS version do you have?