New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hyperkin Touch Skin is Actually Pretty Cool

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
edited October 2017 in General
I bought this Touch skin randomly, and it's actually pretty cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-GelShell-Controller-Silicone-Oculus-pc/dp/B0758M1Z81/

The feel is really nice, and it should at least offer some protection. The downside is the it looks a little odd and you have to take it off to replace the batteries. Anyone else try a skin on Touch?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    I didn't even know this was a thing until now.. will check it out :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,528 Valuable Player
    Sorry I have to :)) Condom for the touch huh:)?? Was it a bad touch ;)?? Rawr
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, they do look kind of silly, but the feel is nice (please, no more jokes).

I actually just got these other ones today.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Touch-Controller-Asterion-Products/dp/B073VD9CVQ/

They don't quite feel as nice as the Hyperkin ones, but they look 100x better and still feel alright.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    What I'd like to have is an extension for the pickle to fit my hand. These are sized for a child.
    My little finger is down by the lanyard and it's just difficult to get a grip on.
    Those stippled for my pleasure ones look like they might help.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,303
    Neo
    edited October 2017
    Roaster said:
    What I'd like to have is an extension for the pickle to fit my hand. These are sized for a child.
    My little finger is down by the lanyard and it's just difficult to get a grip on.

I suspect you have Elephantitus of the hands. They fit my hands fine and I'm an 'adult' (and 6 foot tall).
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    The Asterion skins are really nice actually. Especially when playing Arktika.1. Makes Touch have a more gun like feel with the texture of the hand-piece. 
  • A.ForceA.Force Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    But the Asterion ones dont really look like they protect at all, in contrast to the first one you posted.
    I mean, the ring area extending around the grip is always what would take the hit if you were to crash into something or hit a wall.
    Correct. The Asterion is for look/feel only. The Hyperkin actually provides protection..
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    edited November 2017
    As on Onward player, having big hands and  _not_  hitting my controlling into walls, what would you propose from the two? I can get slightly sweaty hands while in tense situations, the black one with dimples seems like an improvement?

Thanks for advice!
    I personally like the black ones better (which is what I'm using at home) but it depends what you want. I've punched my TV a few times (luckily unharmed) but now I have a pretty good system for avoiding bumping into things. So I'm OK without the added protection, as the black ones just look and feel nicer. However, in terms of usefulness, the clear ones offer some level of protection, which might be worth it for you (even if they don't look as nice). The clear ones also feel smoother, which some people may prefer over the bumps on the black one.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Didn't think they'd be a market for this kind of thing already, the black one looks much better.

Do these skins not have any impact on tracking, like dulling the IR light?
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,231
    Wintermute
    FrozenPea said:
    Didn't think they'd be a market for this kind of thing already, the black one looks much better.

Do these skins not have any impact on tracking, like dulling the IR light?

Yeah good question, does anybody know if these effect tracking your hands/fingers? Or have they designed it so it doesn't cover any of the sensors?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    The black ones don't cover the LEDs, or any of the buttons. So there is no interference with tracking. The clear ones do cover the whole outer shell of Touch, so could potentially affect tracking. However, in my testing, things still appeared to work fine, so I don't think it's a major issue. In either case, the buttons and finger tracking was still working normally.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Late posting here - didn't realise you had made a thread about these - I have zero tracking issues with the clear covers. Or any other issues at all. Very impressed with them.

• geebee666geebee666 Posts: 220
    Nexus 6
    Roaster said:
    Here you go, the reviewer has the same issue.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8c0s76/oculus_touch_knuckles_style_mamut_grip_someone/
    Got the demo re-uploaded to YouTube:

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
     :D  :D :D
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 554
    Neo
    edited July 2018
    The EU/UK is like East and West Berlin during the late 50's when it comes to getting hold of VR accessories over here. lol
    I actually made that video because people were saying they couldn't fit the covers... :o