New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

ARKTIKA.1 User Reviews

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,647 Valuable Player
edited October 10 in Games and Apps
Please post your rating of this game taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

ARKTIKA.1 User Reviews 32 votes

5 STARS
37%
cyberealityDerekSpeareJohnMadduxChewbaggerSkScotcheggZenbaneAetheryfreDanO84riccardo.delpozzoleppard2CyazardosJeremie.Gabolde 12 votes
4 STARS
18%
vrenShadowmask72andysonofbobZiggyGamingMadMax1998J0hnnieW4lker 6 votes
3 STARS
31%
anthonyvnbirkSmashed_PumpkinApplecorpheppsanAdinsx12ThunderbaneRyguy21Sitruzfreelivorno 10 votes
2 STARS
3%
Pablito 1 vote
1 STARS
9%
softtouchphComic_Book_Guyjimmikaelkael 3 votes

Comments

• texbanctexbanc Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Love the game but am finding it very buggy.  Frozen 3 times today during the cargo mission.  Also during this mission at the top of line 1 I turn on the screen, teleport over to get the fuse and then have nothing to put it in.  Anyone?
  • heppsanheppsan Posts: 229
    Nexus 6
    3 STARS
    A bit early to give it a score yet, have only done three missions.
    Really liking it so far though!

But is it just me, or are the bullets traveling a bit slow?
  • AetheryfreAetheryfre Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    5 STARS
    texbanc said:
    Love the game but am finding it very buggy.  Frozen 3 times today during the cargo mission.  Also during this mission at the top of line 1 I turn on the screen, teleport over to get the fuse and then have nothing to put it in.  Anyone?
    Remove the fuse on the left, replace it with the fuse on the right marked spare or something like.
    Hiro Protagonist
    5 STARS
    5 stars for sure, 6 stars for how hot the assistant is... don’t judge me
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 572
    Neo
    heppsan said:
    A bit early to give it a score yet, have only done three missions.
    Really liking it so far though!

But is it just me, or are the bullets traveling a bit slow?
    Yeah, I noticed that when shooting at moving targets. Odd choice. 
  • DerekSpeareDerekSpeare Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    edited October 12
    5 STARS
    I've encountered a situation where the torch attachment works in the Armory but then doesn't work on the Cargo Mission :/
    derekspearedesigns.com
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 728 Poster of the Week
    edited October 12
    3 STARS
    Very buggy game, picking stuff up is clumsy too. The robot boss glitched for me (and others) where it''s impossible to kill cause the vulnerable leg parts do not "glow" after getting the first battery.. Had to redo the whole level.

Fun when it works though.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,223 Oculus Staff
    5 STARS
    5 Stars. This is the best game right now. I was a huge fan of Metro and this does not disappoint.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SiilkSiilk Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    Not interested unless they put smooth locomotion or at least free teleportation in.

Hiro Protagonist
    5 STARS
    Siilk said:
    Not interested unless they put smooth locomotion or at least free teleportation in.

That would be really cool, but it’s still a pretty great VR game.
  • ChewbaggerChewbagger Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited October 12
    5 STARS
    I've encountered a situation where the torch attachment works in the Armory but then doesn't work on the Cargo Mission :/

• ChewbaggerChewbagger Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    5 STARS
    This may be obvious, or maybe not, but did you turn it on by pushing the side button on it?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,647 Valuable Player
    edited October 12
    4 STARS
    Yeh she/it is great and it's obvious the artists/modellers @ 4A had a great time designing her. That ass wiggle  movement though.  :p

4 STARS
    @Zenbane /skeletor did you blow into the harmonica to get it to work? Nice touch. I would have thought though using the same technique they could make cold breath appear if you are heavy breathing like.

• Smashed_PumpkinSmashed_Pumpkin Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    3 STARS
    Sadly a series of annoyances at various features in this game caused me to almost immediately put my headset down and request a refund. Firstly I've got to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the graphics; So many trailers made it out to be the "next gen" of VR yet I'd place it well below what Robo Recall or The Lab offer. The animation felt rigid and awkward something more akin to what I'd expect to see in an indie project. The woman driving the vehicle, although high on polygon count (that was one impressive ear hole), seemed to lack any finesse or life. I am an animator by profession and, although this is a personal taste thing, I'd rather see a stylized character full of life than a high fidelity character wallow in the depths of the uncanny valley. On a side note, I was playing on Extreme graphics settings with a GTX1080 so as far as I know I was seeing the best that was on offer. Don't get me wrong though, there were some impressive things. The little coffee cup in the glove box had a nice metal shader and the chunky feel of the players gloves, as well as the presence they provided, felt pretty good.

My next annoyance came when I left the vehicle. I had read about the game being based on "nodal movement" although I had also read it being likened to the movement system in Robo Recall. Sadly it's not the same wonderful movement system of Robo Recall, and is in fact very much Nodal as far as movement location options go. When I realized I'd only be jumping to pre-designated locations, unelegantly indicated by big glowing character models, I was genuinely disappointed.

Finally when I was taking shots with the two pistols, I threw one onto the table and it landed in such a way that I could no longer pick it up effectively getting me stuck. So with that mannequin of a woman staring at me with her awkward head movements and overly shiny eyes I thought, nah, not for me. For what is likely to be a one time play-through using sub-par motion mechanics the game, for me, would be relying entirely on it's storyline. Knowing the metro series it would probably be quite a good story but in those first 15 minutes it had hit some pretty heavy cliche and not handled them with much style, in my opinion.

Overall I'm disappointed, both with the game and myself for becoming such a grumpy old bugger. I obviously haven't given it the time it probably deserves but it frustrated me enough with it's misspent potential that I've been put off.
    Hiro Protagonist
    5 STARS
    Yeh she/it is great and it's obvious the artists/modellers @ 4A had a great time designing her. That ass wiggle though.  :p

That's not a wiggle, that's a "sway"
    4 STARS
    Fixed.

Neo
    Why are there any puzzles in a game like this? They're just annoyances. And it puts a spotlight on how poorly the hand gestures are done. My giant hands struggle to grab those circuit components. 

If they wanted a break from action, maybe have some story videos and audios.

Some nodes are difficult to see and sometimes I miss the node and teleport to  the wrong place.

I recommend doing the practice missions to really  understand what they want you to do with the nodes. 

Does anyone have an issue where their glowing gun sights stop glowing?
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 384
    Trinity
    5 STARS
    My Review:

Graphics/Performance.
    I only played the first mission so far last night before bed but I thought the game was amazing, by default it was on medium settings but I changed the graphics settings to "extreme" and the game seemed to run smooth and looked fantastic with the frame rate issues  whilst running on my "GTX 1060 6GB". No crashes or glitches to report so far, the game seems really well polished.

Physics and Sounds:
    I also noticed a few things that other people have already mentioned such as big hands, poor physics in certain areas etc.Also in other games like Wilsons Heart and Lone Echo they have mastered doing things with your hands, like moving objects and inserting objects, and pulling levers etc. In this game the animations for doing these things with your hands isn't perfect, they need to fix a lot of the connections with your hands to objects and the animations. After that I would say I don't really like the gun sounds, I think they could improve them and make them sound less "tiny" and perhaps more base to the gun sounds.

Switching weapons to different hands:
    Lastly I have my revolver in my right hand and my default pistol in my left hand but when I tried to switch them other to differant hands I found this difficult, I managed to do this a couple of times by throwing the gun slightly in the air and then catching it, but then I noticed the gun didn't throw or float the same way it does it Robo Recall or Dead & Burried so I think that could be improved on as well.

Holding one pistol with two hands:
    I actually enjoyed holding one pistol at once and shooting with one pistol only, to do this I held this pistol in-game using my right hand, and then with my left hand I let go of the left touch controller so that my left hand could support my right hand, which makes for better accuracy and less chance of getting a dead arm.  - The only problem with this? - On my screen in-game there's a hand dangling in the middle of the screen slightly to the left of my gun...lol...so obviously they could fix this? All they need to do is make it so when you let go of the left touch controller the game knows your not holding a 2nd gun and therefore it should put your left hand animation in-game as supporting your wrist on your right hand. - Hope this makes sense. - Really hope a developer reads this and fixes this issue. - It's kind of immersion breaking. - Other games have this feature so this feature already exist.

Final Verdict:
    It probably sounds like I've mentioned a lot of negatives but I think these are all small things which the developers could easily fix with a few patches. Other then that I think the game is brilliant, two scenes which really got me nervous was in the elevator when the goblin enemies were reaching in from above, and the giant robot boss scene where I had to shoot its legs and run round the room, that was cool. 

Can't wait to get home tonight and give it a good 2 hours play! 

8.5/10 - so far.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 728 Poster of the Week
    3 STARS
    There's one thing that really irritates me, and it's that intrusive sound every time you look at a node you can teleport to. I wish there was an audio option to turn that off.
  • DerekSpeareDerekSpeare Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    edited October 12
    5 STARS
    It's worth it.  They have a TON of potential with this game - I hope they expand it with extensive DLC. 
    derekspearedesigns.com
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,223 Oculus Staff
    5 STARS
    I don't mind teleport games, but I did notice the nodes can be hard to trigger. Not the end of the world, but sometimes in battle I found I couldn't teleport, or it would go to the wrong node. Still a great game though, and maybe I just don't understand how the mechanic works.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,277 Power Poster
    5 STARS
    I don't mind teleport games, but I did notice the nodes can be hard to trigger. Not the end of the world, but sometimes in battle I found I couldn't teleport, or it would go to the wrong node. Still a great game though, and maybe I just don't understand how the mechanic works.

Agreed. It's like there is an invisible cursor bound to the center of the HMD, and you have to look perfectly at the node you wish to Teleport towards. I am hoping that the "collision area" for how this work is increased, so that the player can just look in a more general direction and teleport more seamlessly.

It doesn't bother me too much though, because I enjoy just blasting everyone while standing fully exposed lol

Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

4 STARS
    Zenbane said:

It doesn't bother me too much though, because I enjoy just blasting everyone while standing fully exposed lol

A bit like these guys eh Zen?

4 STARS
    Don't worry, those are just gun bitches.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,277 Power Poster
    5 STARS

My eyes!!

Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Neo
    Zenbane said:
    Agreed. It's like there is an invisible cursor bound to the center of the HMD, and you have to look perfectly at the node you wish to Teleport towards. I am hoping that the "collision area" for how this work is increased, so that the player can just look in a more general direction and teleport more seamlessly.

Maybe they should allow you to point to your teleport location with the motion controller. 

It's not good when you die because the mechanic is clumsy.