cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - How do you know what game to buy and what not

sssavio
Honored Guest
Hi guys, I am new to Oculus Rift and to the forum. I like the Rift, I played Lucky tales and robo recall and now I wanna try some new games... and I am kinda stuck. It seems that there is no way to know if a game is good or it is bad, if it's gonna work or not. I think there is a serious need to categorize and provide detailed info on how a game is and how a game works. It still seems all a big BETA to me. I dunno if I can buy games on steam. It is officially supported or what? Half the time steam vr is not working properly for me, so I don't know if I can waste money on Steam games and then I cant play them.

Furthermore, can you please share some good game with me or guide me to some site where it is possible to understand what game to buy and what not? And of course if it is properly working on Rift?

Many thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Look on here, all the games have great reviews, write ups and gripes then you can decide for yourself 🙂 plus type in Youtube the game with rift and you should find all you need 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybereality
Grand Champion
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/39560/oculus-rift-community-reviews-directory-games-a...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I just go to YouTube and  watch people playing it. That gives you a  good idea of what to expect. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
Both Steam and Oculus have a refund policy.  Steam will give you your money back if you refund in a short period of time.  I think Oculus operates the same way.  User reviews and videos are good things to use to see if you'll like a game or not. 
derekspearedesigns.com

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Everything in the Oculus Home store will work of course. SteamVR games also generally work but if you want to be certain, filter by the Oculus Rift checkbox when browsing or look for the Rift icon in the detailed product page. As for finding what's good, check youtube. The reviews here typically aren't very honest, maybe people here just have low standards but I've found too many games here that have rave reviews but are actually mediocre if not outright bad (see Arizona Sunshine and Elite Dangerous). Steam user reviews in general are honest, but once again their is a bit of a positive tilt when looking at VR exclusives. Youtube hides nothing, so even if the reviewer gives a lousy game a glowing review, you can see for yourself what it is.

babybasher
Protege
I agree to many games getting reviewed too highly.  Hard to know what you'll like.  Even if a game ticks all the boxes on paper, you might not like it at all.  For me that game is Dead Effect 2.

I disagree about elite.  Took me weeks to buy it as I saw recent steam reviews bagging it.  And it wasn't build ground up for VR, or use the touch controllers.  I thought the experience would be boring.  Boy was I wrong though.  First seated VR experience and now i'm learning how to play 😛  Although, you certainly want a HOTAS.

BeastyBaiter is 100% correct about searching out reviews from different areas.  

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

The reviews here typically aren't very honest, maybe people here just have low standards but I've found too many games here that have rave reviews but are actually mediocre if not outright bad (see Arizona Sunshine and Elite Dangerous). Steam user reviews in general are honest...

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!

Steam reviews are the most biased bunch of elitist shill ever. Games marked down or up for the most stupid of reasons. People who play for 5 minutes and then feel qualified to review the games. People upvoting their own reviews and downvoting others. Devs paying reviewers with free games or otherwise to post glowing reviews. 

CONTRADICTION!!!!!!!!

As for the reviews here, I believe most are honest but the same jank (as with any community based reviews) rears its head here as well. We've even had developers rating their own games 5 Stars (which many don't agree with btw). I think the problem is some people have different standards as you point out and as the old adage says, one man's meat is another man's poison. Please bear that in mind. 

FALSIFICATION!!!!!!!

As for YOUTUBE. Unless you are watching a gameplay without commentary then avoid at all costs. Most A number of Youtubers are more interested in hyperbole nonsense to promote themselves or strengthen their relationship with publishers rather than remaining objective. For some it's all about screaming like an idiot and declaring every little thing as "awesome", "Fantastic", "Mind-blowing", "amazing".

I agree though, if you're referring to reviews before making a decision then use more than one source for balance.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer

The reviews here typically aren't very honest, maybe people here just have low standards but I've found too many games here that have rave reviews but are actually mediocre if not outright bad (see Arizona Sunshine and Elite Dangerous).

Blimey!

Have you actually played Elite Dangerous?  ED is one of the only games I play!  I think VR transforms this game like nothing else.  I am *in* a spaceship, being a scum bag / scrounger.  Brilliant!

I guess I like sims though.

To the OP.
Here are some essentials (they're sims)

Elite Dangerous - make sure you get the Horizons expansion which will let you land and race on planets and through canyons
Assetto Corsa - wait for a sale
Aerofly FS2 - not as in depth as others but pretty cool all the same
DHS - combat flight sim.  Game is free but the US-1 Huey is £41 but WOW!!!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Mate I'll sort you out...

Buy these:

Superhot
Space Pirate Trainer
Lone Echo
Arktika.1
The Unspoken
Dead & Burried
Wilson's Heart

In that order.

Also if you like space games then buy elite dangerous, if you like car games then buy project cars, make sure you get the VR versions from Oculus store.

Hope that helps.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!