cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go - Little more than a Mobile phone VR Enclosure

Anonymous
Not applicable
So Facebook Announces Oculus Go at $199...

But without positional tracking and hand pressence this is a huge step backwards in my opinion. I mean sure we all know that the future of VR will be stand alone decives no larger than a pair of glasses or contacts... 

But thats 10 year out and this is much like the CV1 trying to do too much and not excelling in any specific area. 

Don't get me wrong the CV1 is good... but its a first generation consumer piece of kit... we will all look back at it and wonder how we put up with it much in the way we did when we went from dk2 to CV1... 

But why do we need Oculus Go??  I am struggling to see who this is aimed at?

What are your thoughts on it? 

41 REPLIES 41

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Price is key. $199 is a very good price.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

If the picture is better than that on the Gear VR (and the Gear VR had an excellent image)  it's the perfect replacement for that and every other mobile VR device.  Films, photos and the odd game - some Gear VR games are fantastic.

And the price...
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Tim74UK said:

Samsung who make GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Oculus ‘GO’ might prolong the life of GearVR beyond Samsung but will it be enough to save it when everyone else supports Daydream?

Ahhh I didn't know that and this explains it.

Tim74UK said:

Atmos73 said:

Tim74UK said:

Samsung who make GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Oculus ‘GO’ might prolong the life of GearVR beyond Samsung but will it be enough to save it when everyone else supports Daydream?

Ahhh I didn't know that and this explains it.

It's a theory but it falls down if you know anything about Google Daydream.

anthonsh
Protege
This is exactly what Ive been waiting for. I dont have a good PC and Ive been a GearVR user for over a year. My phone contract is almost up. This completely changes my plans. 

anthonsh
Protege

Atmos73 said:

Tim74UK said:

Samsung who manufacture GearVR have now joined Google Daydream to make Androind the Mobile VR standard. If Samsung decide to stop GearVR production in 2018 then the whole Oculus GearVR platform collapses without a HMD to support it.

Yes. At that pricepoint it will.

CrashFu
Consultant
*cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

So I'd say it's aimed at a whole heck of a lot of people. :tongue:

****, I'm probably going to get one, myself.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

anthonsh
Protege

CrashFu said:

*cough*  Well, the Samsung Gear VR is already the highest-selling VR device on the market by a very wide margin, and yet even that device's market has been limited to people who are willing and able to shell out $600 or more for a phone (and possibly another $100 if they didn't get Gear VR as a free promotion with said phone)

This is a device that costs only $200 total, a tiny fraction of what ANY other decent VR system costs, and is also a better and more refined product in every way.  Also it won't eat up your phone's batteries and (presumably) won't cook your face while you're using it.

If I can keep my paid Gear VR apps (Minecraft... etc) then a new daydream and phone isnt a consideration. 

anthonsh said:

CrashFu said:

If I can keep my paid Gear VR apps (Minecraft... etc) then a new daydream and phone isnt a consideration. 

Oh damn i'd forgotten about my Gear VR apps - i've had 2 Gear VRs but sold them to pay for the Rift.

Yep, we need to know this, but i'm pretty sure all your Gear VR content will transfer over.