I was wrong.

This morning, I had to grab a few items from my VR Dungeon and I
noticed abrasions on the padding of my Vive deluxe strap. Uh oh. Another
quick trip to Twitter confirmed that I wasn’t the only one who noticed
this.

The fact that NOBODY noticed this, is probably a bad thing. I feel like
if I ripped this padding off (it IS completely replaceable) and tossed
it into a glass of water, it would dissolve surprisingly quick. Not the
best material to stick on a part of the body that loves to sweat.

Pretty funny that the makers of the Gadget of the Year, whose gadget revolves around standing room-scale experiences which does lead to sweat far more than sit-down experiences, didn't test their "deluxe" strap's ability to... get wet 😄

167 REPLIES 167

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
But at least we'll be walking tether free with the TPcast wireless module hahaha

Looks like the Rift will be getting the TPCast wireless module very soon! hahaha

“TPCAST is committed to support the Oculus Rift HMD with our unique
wireless technology solutions, and provide VR users a high-quality,
immersive VR encounter,” stated Michael Liu, TPCAST CEO in a statement.
“With the TPCAST wireless adapter, we will be changing the VR usage and
experience by providing the complete freedom of movement with no cables
attached.”

So when can Oculus Rift users go wireless? Well TPCAST
has said the Wireless Adapter for Oculus Rift will be available by the
end of Q4 2017.
https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/10/tpcast-working-on-wireless-support-for-oculus-rift/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even if it was as cheap as chips I wouldn't go anywhere near it. The battery clips onto your belt if I remember correctly, and what with all of these exploding batteries that keep on appearing in electronic devices these days I'm not going to risk burning my arse or my knackers lmfao 😮 😮 😮

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Cool. Have you seen the cost of it? 

Did you see the cost of it back when you were bragging about it for Vive support?

I believe it's around $200; I'd probably wait until the price drops since it is not a necessity. Although for Rift owners the extra price doesn't sting as much because unlike the Vive, we haven't been nickle and dimed every month for every single component upgrade.

Atmos73 said:

What about GO and Santa Cruz having the battery right in front of your eyes?

Is this what is to be expected of you for the next 17 months? The last 17 months involved you criticizing the Facebook/Oculus business model, only to have it blow up in your face with the demise of the HTC Vive. Now you're gonna shift gears to criticizing battery placement? Oh how you have fallen lol

Battery placement has been acceptable ever since the invention of the laptop, smartphone, and smart tablet, silly.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Think ill keep my cord no power issues and having to worry about rechargeing the headset for use.
WAAAGH!

vannagirl
Consultant

Morgrum said:

Think ill keep my cord no power issues and having to worry about rechargeing the headset for use.

Same, i am not obsessed over untethered as some around here, i rather wait for it all to improve.

I put a hook high on a book shelf and when i vr i feel nothing of the cable at all now
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

What about GO and Santa Cruz having the battery right in front of your eyes?

Yup, precisely why I won't be recommending them to ANYONE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not too worried about the Wi-Fi, we all use mobile phones every day so the damage has already been done lol

It's also going to be a pain in the arse having the things running out of juice as @Morgrum has mentioned. It's one of the many reasons why I got a Rift instead of a Vive, not having a separate battery in their controllers that you can swap out was a dealbreaker for me.