Will We See a CV2

TC1999
Adventurer

So after watching OC4 I’m left with a very worrying
thought “Is facebook more interested in creating a hardware that supports their
social media structure then continuing to push the boundaries of high end pc
based VR”

When facebook brought Oculus this was a fear that many expressed
and now I’m wondering if this is now the case.

I love my rift having brought it a month after launch and
with touch it’s given me lots of enjoyment. When I first saw Palmer Lucky talk
about VR and the kickstarter campaign it was inspiring, especially for a long-term
gamer like me.

When facebook brought Oculus, Touch and the current Rift
where already well under development with the principals for both units in
place.  

So why am I worried that we will not see a CV2.

OC4 starts with Zuckerberg saying he wants 1 billion in
VR. Well that’s never going to happen from high end pc based VR. This only
leaves low end low friction based VR. With the announcement of Oculus Go this
fits that perfectly. Essentially a personal VR media viewer that will work well
for all types of media from watching films, youtube, internet browsing and
social media viewing.

Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of Go and have been
waiting for standalone VR devise that is cheap and easy to use to watch films
and do exactly what this will do, and I will buy one. Oculus Go is great
to achieve this and to spread the idea of VR as well as Oculus brand awareness.

However does this new venture depart the focus aware from
leading edge VR for enthusiastic PC gamers?

Zuckerberg has expressed disappointment that VR adoption has
not grown as quick as they would have liked and I wonder if this is a small
insight to what they really now want to do.

Yes VR adoption has not grown as fast as they would have
liked but hang on a second what kind of adoption is truly possible for current
VR.

Gaming right now is the natural fit for VR but VR is not a
natural fit for gamers on a large scale. My great nephew is 13 and he plays
games all day long if he could, either on his phone or on his xbox. For him
gaming is either quick and easy or a way to talk to his friends online. He is
not interested in great graphics, story lines or immersive gameplay, he wants
awards, quick arena matches, collecting stuff and so on. He has GTA 5 and has
never done a mission for him it’s about his friends meeting up and playing the
game the way they want to. I asked him “is this how all your friends play games”
and he said “yes”.

He has tried my rift but gets bored very quickly one because
he’s not interested in playing a game for the game, his friends are not in it
and the learning curve is more than he is prepared to put in to adapt to it. Maybe he is a lazy 13 year old, but aren’t most 13 year olds and this is the age
group the current gaming industry is focused on.

So who is VR right now for, well I would say the older gamer
who one has the money to spend, enjoys solo driven game or has a strong narrative,
into sims and is willing to take the time to adapt to VR, that is not a large
game base for mass VR adoption. As Palmer Lucky has said VR is for a subset of
a subset of a subset.

So with this knowledge and sales feedback If I was the owner
of a mass media platform and want to promote that platform high end VR would
not be the way to go, low end low friction mass adoption would be my choice. Leading back to sadly again no CV2.

What else points to facebook moving away from high cost
leading edge VR, what Carmack said in his talks and Q&A.

Firstly he said in his talk that almost made me shout was “if
Go tanks then Oculus will focus back to predominantly high end PC VR” WHAT are
you saying that Oculus focus is no longer on advancing PC VR. If that is true
than it is very sad news for all VR enthusiasts who see Oculus as the leading
light in VR. Also in a Q&A he talked about they have lenses that can
achieve 140 degree view but are not using them.

In OC4 there was very little talk about continue funding for
VR titles in fact no talk about funding. And there was no really big titles
being showed for next year. So we have Marvel Powers United and possible
Respawn doing something but we have no news on that. Not Very Encouraging.

Santa Cruz looks good but it’s not high end VR. I want
high end VR, where is my leading edge in visual fidelity and FOV VR, Oculus?.

NOT COMING GUYS NOT COMING.

Price drop to £399 had to be done because very soon Vive and
Rift will have inferior speks to upcoming HMD’s.

Samsung Odyssey is coming and yes the tracking is not going
to be perfect but it will have better ergonomics and visual fidelity. When
anybody tries my rift the first things they say is “it looks fuzzy, I don’t like
the binocular look and it feels uncomfortable on my face”, don’t get me wrong
they are also very impressed but it’s not enough.

So please oculus move towards the halo fit and get rid of
the baseball camp fit. Bump up the screen and lenses.

This is what Samsung have done, don’t get left behind.  

So I hope the £399 is to clear stocks so that maybe just
maybe a bumped up rift is coming.

Rift will even be lesser in visual fidelity then the $199 GO
that’s mad and the media will have a field day with it.

The GO will have higher visuals and better lenses then the
Rift, even Carmack said that the new LCD screens has more net gains now then
OLED.

I wonder if these screens are the same as the ones Pimax are
going to use?

Lastly the coming update for Home with Dash looks great and
really looking forward to it. Please oculus let us know you are still committed
to high end PC driven VR because this update is maybe a prelude benefit for GO and
Santa Cruz.

I would have like to have seen some news about what Oculus is
working on for higher FOV, better lenses, better fidelity, and better
ergonomics. Even if this was not happening strait away and was coming down the
pipe as Oculus did in OC3 last year with Santa Cruz, this would have created a
buzz for VR on PC.

The silence is deafening

108 REPLIES 108

flexy123
Superstar

snowdog said:

It's way too early. We'll hear about the CV2 plans at OC5 for launch in 2019/2020.

Explain to me how a lone Chinese company on Kickstarter then pulls it off?
What is "too early"? fb has BILLIONS. The Chinese can churn out a 5k and a "8k" right now, and facebook/Oculus can't? Really? Don't get me wrong! I know VERY WELL why Oculus does what they are doing right now, but don't expect me to get all gaga over "Go" and super-casual VR for the masses. I entirely agree with the OP.

I had wished just one little mention of CV2..rather than endless hype about Android-based portable VR. This has its place, but it's not EXCITING.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RonsonPL said:

Oculus dropped PC VR long time ago. T

Nope, they didn't. I actually own one and the dedication to it by Facebook and Oculus has been stellar.

RonsonPL said:
CV2 will probably happen, but with no dedication. Look at Valve and their Vive.

Well the CV2 won't be made by non-humans, so it will take some dedication. I don't know what fantasy world you live in where products are designed without any human dedication at all, but we are living in that sci-fi reality just yet, skippy.

Comparing Oculus to Valve/Vive makes zero sense. They are a failed competitor that seems to have gotten everything wrong. You have more in common with the Vive via your posting style than Facebook has with their tech strategies.

kojack
MVP
MVP

flexy123 said:

snowdog said:

It's way too early. We'll hear about the CV2 plans at OC5 for launch in 2019/2020.

Except they haven't.
They've made promises and have shown a few different prototypes that keep changing, but they haven't actually shipped a finished product yet (talking about the kickstarter 5k/8k/8k x, not the 4k that wasn't kickstarted). They are currently at the same stage as Sixense was during their Stem kickstarter.
I'm not saying it's going to drag out for years like Stem, but it's too early to say they are pulling off or churning out anything when no consumer has received one and the kickstarter isn't even finished yet.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

flexy123 said:

snowdog said:

What is "too early"? fb has BILLIONS. The Chinese can churn out a 5k and a "8k" right now, and facebook/Oculus can't? Really? Don't get me wrong! I know VERY WELL why Oculus does what they are doing right now, but don't expect me to get all gaga over "Go" and super-casual VR for the masses. I entirely agree with the OP.

I had wished just one little mention of CV2..rather than endless hype about Android-based portable VR. This has its place, but it's not EXCITING.

Having billions is great, but unless they use those billions to build a real working Time Machine, then we all gotta wait for real-time progress to take place. These "chinese" folks you are referring to didn't build their own platform and fund their own suite of games. Oculus and Facebook did. The billions Facebook is spending is going somewhere, it's simply going to more than just gaming and hardware. Updates and innovation have to be strategic. You can't spray your money all over peoples faces and expect magic to happen lol

If you want to see what happens when a company thinks that "having billions" is an auto-win, then check out HTC's progress.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Ronson isn't totally off base. There really isn't anything stopping Facebook from dropping in a pair of screens with much higher resolution. Facebook simply does not want to do that at this time. There are valid reasons for not doing so right now (system requirements and cost being big ones) but not doing so does leave them in serious danger of getting left behind.

Moving from now till the end of 2018, I think we'll see the Rift move from the high end to the mid range VR market. The price is now at $400 for the full kit, which seems mid-priced to me for such a device. If Pimax can actually deliver (bit of an if there), I can see them taking up the high end mantle along with Samsung while the Rift/Vive/WVR's make up the middle ground. PSVR and any other console headsets will be on the low end, as consoles are and always have been. And mobile is its own thing of course, I think there is a lot of money in it but it is a separate market.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Ronson isn't totally off base. There really isn't anything stopping Facebook from dropping in a pair of screens with much higher resolution. Facebook simply does not want to do that at this time. There are valid reasons for not doing so right now (system requirements and cost being big ones) but not doing so does leave them in serious danger of getting left behind.

Just "dropping" them in? Like... send someone to your house and just drop the new screens in your headset? lol

There's pricing, logistics, manufacturing, distribution. Complex stuff for some folks I suppose.

Oculus just won 2 VR Awards in 2017, I'm not sure what danger you speak of nor who you think will leave them behind, but all that talk is pure fantasy at this point.

BeastyBaiter said:
Moving from now till the end of 2018, I think we'll see the Rift move from the high end to the mid range VR market.

And what gave away that insight? The fact that the Rift is permanently $399 or that Oculus Go is priced at $199?

What people call "high-end" will simply refer to beastly VR rigs that enthusiasts decide to build. But there's no real reason a headset should cost over $500 again anytime soon. The market itself is at mid-range now.

danknugz
Superstar
i sure hope not cause lets face it, CV1 kind of blows
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

danknugz said:

i sure hope not cause lets face it, CV1 kind of blows

Errrrm...

No.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

flexy123 said:

snowdog said:

Good grief, it really isn't complicated. It's too early for both Oculus and HTC to release a second generation headset BECAUSE THIS GENERATION ISN'T EVEN TWO YEARS OLD. If either one of those two companies release a second generation headset next year they will end up alienating the majority of their customers that have bought their first generation device. Why would you buy a second generation device when you'll only get 2 years use out of it before the next generation comes out?

Three-five years is the sweet spot. That's why the world and his wife are expecting the second gen headsets from Oculus and HTC in 2019/2020.

Pimax don't have this problem because hardly ANYBODY bought their first generation product, because it was a pile of old pants only useful for watching films on. If their second generation headset is successful and sells a shitload they'll end up waiting at least three years before releasing their third generation headset for the same reason.

As for @RonsonPL I'm convinced he's either more than a little insane or on drugs...or maybe a bit of both lol

To say that the quality of the software that Oculus have released so far isn't good enough is completely ridiculous. The vast majority of software they've released has been of AAA quality and they've spent $500m funding it.

TC1999
Adventurer
I want to believe, I want to believe Oculus I really do that your are still commited to PCVR. 

Many of of the questions and concerns here, have been repeated in most of the tech media. Even tested found it odd no tease of a cv2. 

And what's the filming ban all about, Tested can not show any of thier interviews vie video or audio welcome to the control state, great work Facebook. 

Going from prototype to manufacturing in china is quick DK2 went from single finished prototype to full manufacturing run in a day. 

Holding the faith