Will We See a CV2

TC1999
Adventurer

So after watching OC4 I’m left with a very worrying
thought “Is facebook more interested in creating a hardware that supports their
social media structure then continuing to push the boundaries of high end pc
based VR”

When facebook brought Oculus this was a fear that many expressed
and now I’m wondering if this is now the case.

I love my rift having brought it a month after launch and
with touch it’s given me lots of enjoyment. When I first saw Palmer Lucky talk
about VR and the kickstarter campaign it was inspiring, especially for a long-term
gamer like me.

When facebook brought Oculus, Touch and the current Rift
where already well under development with the principals for both units in
place.  

So why am I worried that we will not see a CV2.

OC4 starts with Zuckerberg saying he wants 1 billion in
VR. Well that’s never going to happen from high end pc based VR. This only
leaves low end low friction based VR. With the announcement of Oculus Go this
fits that perfectly. Essentially a personal VR media viewer that will work well
for all types of media from watching films, youtube, internet browsing and
social media viewing.

Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of Go and have been
waiting for standalone VR devise that is cheap and easy to use to watch films
and do exactly what this will do, and I will buy one. Oculus Go is great
to achieve this and to spread the idea of VR as well as Oculus brand awareness.

However does this new venture depart the focus aware from
leading edge VR for enthusiastic PC gamers?

Zuckerberg has expressed disappointment that VR adoption has
not grown as quick as they would have liked and I wonder if this is a small
insight to what they really now want to do.

Yes VR adoption has not grown as fast as they would have
liked but hang on a second what kind of adoption is truly possible for current
VR.

Gaming right now is the natural fit for VR but VR is not a
natural fit for gamers on a large scale. My great nephew is 13 and he plays
games all day long if he could, either on his phone or on his xbox. For him
gaming is either quick and easy or a way to talk to his friends online. He is
not interested in great graphics, story lines or immersive gameplay, he wants
awards, quick arena matches, collecting stuff and so on. He has GTA 5 and has
never done a mission for him it’s about his friends meeting up and playing the
game the way they want to. I asked him “is this how all your friends play games”
and he said “yes”.

He has tried my rift but gets bored very quickly one because
he’s not interested in playing a game for the game, his friends are not in it
and the learning curve is more than he is prepared to put in to adapt to it. Maybe he is a lazy 13 year old, but aren’t most 13 year olds and this is the age
group the current gaming industry is focused on.

So who is VR right now for, well I would say the older gamer
who one has the money to spend, enjoys solo driven game or has a strong narrative,
into sims and is willing to take the time to adapt to VR, that is not a large
game base for mass VR adoption. As Palmer Lucky has said VR is for a subset of
a subset of a subset.

So with this knowledge and sales feedback If I was the owner
of a mass media platform and want to promote that platform high end VR would
not be the way to go, low end low friction mass adoption would be my choice. Leading back to sadly again no CV2.

What else points to facebook moving away from high cost
leading edge VR, what Carmack said in his talks and Q&A.

Firstly he said in his talk that almost made me shout was “if
Go tanks then Oculus will focus back to predominantly high end PC VR” WHAT are
you saying that Oculus focus is no longer on advancing PC VR. If that is true
than it is very sad news for all VR enthusiasts who see Oculus as the leading
light in VR. Also in a Q&A he talked about they have lenses that can
achieve 140 degree view but are not using them.

In OC4 there was very little talk about continue funding for
VR titles in fact no talk about funding. And there was no really big titles
being showed for next year. So we have Marvel Powers United and possible
Respawn doing something but we have no news on that. Not Very Encouraging.

Santa Cruz looks good but it’s not high end VR. I want
high end VR, where is my leading edge in visual fidelity and FOV VR, Oculus?.

NOT COMING GUYS NOT COMING.

Price drop to £399 had to be done because very soon Vive and
Rift will have inferior speks to upcoming HMD’s.

Samsung Odyssey is coming and yes the tracking is not going
to be perfect but it will have better ergonomics and visual fidelity. When
anybody tries my rift the first things they say is “it looks fuzzy, I don’t like
the binocular look and it feels uncomfortable on my face”, don’t get me wrong
they are also very impressed but it’s not enough.

So please oculus move towards the halo fit and get rid of
the baseball camp fit. Bump up the screen and lenses.

This is what Samsung have done, don’t get left behind.  

So I hope the £399 is to clear stocks so that maybe just
maybe a bumped up rift is coming.

Rift will even be lesser in visual fidelity then the $199 GO
that’s mad and the media will have a field day with it.

The GO will have higher visuals and better lenses then the
Rift, even Carmack said that the new LCD screens has more net gains now then
OLED.

I wonder if these screens are the same as the ones Pimax are
going to use?

Lastly the coming update for Home with Dash looks great and
really looking forward to it. Please oculus let us know you are still committed
to high end PC driven VR because this update is maybe a prelude benefit for GO and
Santa Cruz.

I would have like to have seen some news about what Oculus is
working on for higher FOV, better lenses, better fidelity, and better
ergonomics. Even if this was not happening strait away and was coming down the
pipe as Oculus did in OC3 last year with Santa Cruz, this would have created a
buzz for VR on PC.

The silence is deafening

108 REPLIES 108

TC1999
Adventurer
I know palmer is no longer around but him and others at oculus said when the CV1 was launched when asked about the life cycle that it would be longer than mobile but considerable shorter then console. Most interpreted this as 24 to 36 months. Since CV1 launch gpu power has increased two fold, we can now buy 12 core cpu and screen technology as improved and reduced in cost. Also with single pass stereo imaging becoming standard, single shade techniques the potential cpu, gpu strain has reduced buy upto 60%. 

Im not respecting a cv2 next year but hints this year would have been nice with final product being shown oc5 shipping early 2019. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mobile phone contracts these days tend to be 2 years, the console lifecycle these days is completely screwed because all platform holders apart from Nintendo appear to be releasing .5 versions of their previous consoles (the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X). Console lifecycles used to be around 5 years long so it's reasonable to assume that this generation will last 2-5 years. That's why everyone thinks that this VR generation will last 3-5 years.

Now you'll see Pimax launching their second generation headset sooner than that but the main players won't release their second gen headsets until 2019/2020.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TC1999 said:

I want to believe, I want to believe Oculus I really do that your are still commited to PCVR. 

Many of of the questions and concerns here, have been repeated in most of the tech media. Even tested found it odd no tease of a cv2. 

And what's the filming ban all about, Tested can not show any of thier interviews vie video or audio welcome to the control state, great work Facebook. 

Going from prototype to manufacturing in china is quick DK2 went from single finished prototype to full manufacturing run in a day. 

Holding the faith 

How well did constant hardware upgrades work out for HTC? And what VR Software titles specifically are you holding your faith for? There must be some Software that will take full advantage of bigger Res and Fov to the point that you feel the need to keep the faith, so what is it?

I know what it was for Vivarians: Onward. That didn't help the company recoup 27 months of financial loss though.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
I think Facebook have a goal about what they want to put in CV2, but that technology is not mature enough yet to make definite calls on it. They want it to be a significant improvement and industry firsts in all areas. Yes they could release an update now or in a few months but it wouldn't be CV2 it would be CV1.5. Bad Facebook for not skimming the customer with a mid term update. 

I wonder how many people who are whining in here, were doing the same in their console forums after 18 months of release, moaning about no news about the next gen? Yeah that would be none.

Do the trolls start to gather as it gets close to halloween?

b075g3oxos00.jpg

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Beautifully stated @Storm_Cloud.

Threads like this are basically chastising Facebook and Oculus for not falling for troll bait lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think most of us didn't want to see a final product - but more of a crystal cove of what we saw with CV1. A prototype of what they're working on for CV2 and a path idea of what they are looking into going forward a bit:) Agree- technology has almost doubled in terms of hardware from when CV1 was release and that helps going forward, but there are still large problems going forward as not everyone jumps onto the newest stuff and or has the money. I understand why they are releasing Oculus GO and the other one - but just seems a bit silly not at least demoing out a little bit of the higher end stuff they're looking at:)

Roaster
Rising Star
I think we'll see what the market wants with the onslaught of WMR headsets. Like it or not, MS gives a legitimacy to the idea of VR that will bring in some otherwise non enthusiasts.
I think HTC was left behind because there were better phones available, maybe just camera specs, and the same will happen to Oculus. Yes, Oculus is the new HTC.
Zenbane, don't kill yourself. 

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

I think we'll see what the market wants with the onslaught of WMR headsets. Like it or not, MS gives a legitimacy to the idea of VR that will bring in some otherwise non enthusiasts.
I think HTC was left behind because there were better phones available, maybe just camera specs, and the same will happen to Oculus. Yes, Oculus is the new HTC.
Zenbane, don't kill yourself. 

HTC didn't have the content, Oculus did. Everything in OH is what kept HTC lagging behind since the Steam VR offerings just couldn't keep up. Plus, HTC kept upgrading their hardware while also dangling talks of even more hardware upgrades. What's the point of upgrading a thing now when that thing is going to be replaced soon anyway?

Facebook is busy dropping the price of both high-end and mid-range VR, so it wouldn't make sense to showcase the next CV2 just yet: that would directly work against the current marketing strategy.

If Facebook would have unveiled CV2 plans, then this would be all the current headlines:
"Facebook wastes time talking about Santa Cruz and Oculus Go to trick consumers in to buying a product that will become obsolete the moment they release the Rift 2."

The reasoning behind the avoidance of "Rift 2" discussions is very sound; there are just too many people in the world that would use Rift 2 discussions against Facebook's Santa Cruz and Oculus Go plans. So when looking for someone to blame for the lack of CV2 news... point at the average consumer and the authors of clickbait articles.

Roaster
Rising Star
Santa Cruz and Go may be really bad ideas that are being crammed down your throat.  They have a market though, and it's not the high-quality enthusiast.
Yes a CV-2 would take away from their potential, and that is how it should be. Do you want a Go, or is it just a good marketing decision for Facebook? It's not for me.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

Santa Cruz and Go may be really bad ideas that are being crammed down your throat.  They have a market though, and it's not the high-quality enthusiast.
Yes a CV-2 would take away from their potential, and that is how it should be. Do you want a Go, or is it just a good marketing decision for Facebook? It's not for me.

This comment comes from the point-of-view of a VR Gamer, not a business trying to make VR mainstream "for everyone."

You say that Cruz and Go are being "crammed down our throat" but you forget that for the past year what was crammed down everyone's throat (including the throats of Facebook, Oculus, HTC, Valve) is that the price of quality VR is "too high." Cruz and Go are answering that call, but it is inevitable that a new group of complainers will rise up to cram something else down everyone's throat: "PCVR is abandoned 'cause no CV2 news."

An organization like this is damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I know full well that Facebook and Oculus have not even come close to abandoning the PCVR market, and I am fully aware that a CV2 is in the works. If people want to complain because CV2 wasn't covered at OC4 then that's fine. At least it is only one thread/conversation so far instead of the multitude that spammed this forum, reddit, and facebook from April 2016 til April 2017; and those complaints were about the high cost of VR.

Now that facebook has helped silence one group of complainers, I'm sure they will get to work on silencing the next.
😉