New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will You Buy The Oculus GO?

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,073 Valuable Player
edited October 2017 in General
A steal at $199 for some but if you own a Rift are you a little bit interested in this standalone VR HMD?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Will You Buy The Oculus GO? 94 votes

Yes
21%
cyberealitykojackdrashKevinakiClassicGODdc2889Protocol7jayhawkcybernettrelrealchiquiCrashFuZenbaneUBSERDTC1999PhaserlightwhosinanameJoeyXSprank1DidierAubin87jasonemarks 20 votes
No Not Interested
55%
SharpfishConstellationRirtualVealityWildtbigmike20vtRoasterlansraadHiThere_danknugzVRLAXMradrlogotomieAtmos73PablitoDerekSpeareRorschachPhoenixuKERKNP54Smashed_Pumpkinsnowdog 52 votes
Not sure/ Undecided
23%
hughJjumbliHiro_Protag0nistvanfanelnalex66KiennySyndroidzbosonShadowmask72FrozenPeakzintziTadinSiilkcero490stargate88KenSniperBrokenSymmetrymadamluckANDARIALmclizen 22 votes

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,073 Valuable Player
    Not sure/ Undecided
    I like the idea of the GO but seeing as the rift has a place in my room (near my bed - cos I roll like that you see) then I can't see me having a desire to accomplish the same thing with another device. That said, if the movie watching quality improves massively then I might bite. I think I will wait for any positive reviews and comparisons before I dive in.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    No, because I own a Rift. But I think I would rather buy a Oculus Go for $199 than a Samsung GearVR + Samsung Smartphone for about $600.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    I'm not into downgrading. I have a Rift.
    When I do buy another HMD, I won't go for a Go.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,151 Valuable Player
    edited October 2017
    Yes
    Yep, I'm getting one for sure. I've been wanting a mobile headset other than my 360Fly Cardboard that runs off my Android phone. I kept getting close to buying Gear VR but now I'll just wait for Go since it will arrive very soon.

I plan to use this to help with the development of WebVR business applications.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    I have the rift at its max roomscale think im golden.
    WAAAGH!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    No I have my Rift, fits the bill for all my VR needs. All I am interested in is an improved version of Rift  down the road.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    I am ready to buy a higher res Oculus Rift but I have no interest in the go. I think they should wait for more processing power before even considering a go. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    No Not Interested
    I would certainly recommend GO over a Samsung Gear VR, but wouldn't exactly swap my CV1 for a GO, not even for free :)

Thing is if Oculus VR can make a GO for ~200$, why can't they make a CV1 for ~200$, since the CPU/GPU power is provided by the PC, so doesn't require any high end processing power from the CV1 itself ?

Anyway, GO is certainly the right way to go : As a (currently missing) high-end entry level VR device (with no ~600$ phone or ~500$ PC cost required).
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    No Not Interested
    The Oculus Go isn't aimed at those of us that already have a Rift, it's aimed at people that would normally be getting a Gear VR or similar mobile headset. If Rift owners do buy it you'll see them getting them for their wives and kids to save them from nicking their Rifts when they want to play them lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Not sure/ Undecided
    I'm waiting for  how Santa Cruz will turn out then I will decide between the two
  • madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Not sure/ Undecided
    I already have the rift so no I won’t buy the go or the Santa Cruz for myself. I am however mildly interested in possibly purchasing for my older kids . My thinking is if they have their own then they will leave my rift alone lol. But I want to wait until after they have released to see if they are worth it first.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    Yes
    I'll want to know the actual specs (how it compares to a Galaxy S(x) or Note (x)) first, but I'm most likely buying one for my mother. She loves VR and enjoyed the GearVR. Her phone is too old to run a GearVR otherwise I'd give her mine (it's worthless to me, my Note 8 won't fit in it). All of her computing is done by an ultrabook and an old imac, she's not going to get a gaming pc.

The Go also seems better from a developer point of view. Less software bloat in the way, no need to keep inserting/removing the phone. I might get one for myself for my planned warehouse scale experiments.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    edited October 2017
    Not sure/ Undecided
    If you don't have a good desk with your PC or laptop all ready and set up you won't use that PC/laptop much.

This will get used so much more than a Gear VR with phone.  It's a great step forward.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Not sure/ Undecided
    not sure if I'm going to get one for the kids or not..
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Not sure/ Undecided
    Depends on the quality and amount of software available I guess.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    No Not Interested
    Not a chance, Candy Crush VR doesn't interest me. :p
    No Not Interested
    What about Bejeweled VR? Or Angry Birds VR!
    WAAAGH!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,073 Valuable Player
    Not sure/ Undecided
    The Rift master race presence is quite strong here.

:# 

No Not Interested
    The Rift Master Race presence is strong EVERYWHERE. Why do you think there isn't an HTC Vive forum..? :o:p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    edited October 2017
    No Not Interested
    Does the Go wifi to the internet?  Like you can raise a browser? That might be handy.
    I never used a Gear so I'm clueless.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • SundaygloomSundaygloom Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    No Not Interested
    Zero interest. 
    No Not Interested
    I'll hold my breath on vaporware.

When are the Phantom Console and Tiko 3d printer comming out again?
    WAAAGH!
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2017
    Not sure/ Undecided
    Probably not, I really want a 6 dof Inside Out standalone HMD, so I have to wait for Santa Cruz :)
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Yes
    I was thinking of buying a GearVR for my sister, but this seems like a much better option since it will be independent of her phone.
    No Not Interested
    Morgrum said:
    I'll hold my breath on vaporware.

When are the Phantom Console and Tiko 3d printer comming out again?

The new Pimax headset WILL come out, no doubt about that in my mind. Whether it's going to be any good, however, is another question altogether.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,151 Valuable Player
    Yes

For funsies I will go against the grain and predict that No: the Pimax headset will not be released.

All signs point to the very real possibility that it could and should get released. The hardware is there and works apparently. It's been demo'd multiple times. However, I have a feeling that "unforeseen circumstances" will lead to its premature demise.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    No Not Interested
    No idea why anyone with a Rift would buy it. Not even sure what they're trying to do with it. Nope not interested.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    No Not Interested
    snowdog said:
    The Rift Master Race presence is strong EVERYWHERE. Why do you think there isn't an HTC Vive forum..? :o:p

• SiilkSiilk Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    Not sure/ Undecided
    Probably not. I rarely need a portable device other than a basic smartphone(calls/messaging/browsing/camera) and I own rift already so having two VR devices for home use will be an overkill. Wouldn't have bought it instead of rift either as my main use for it is hardcore gaming. With that said, GO is certainly a better option than gearVR so if I will find myself in need of a portable VR device, GO will likely to be my first choice.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    Yes
    Siilk said:
    and I own rift already so having two VR devices for home use will be an overkill.
    I've got 5 vr headsets here, might as well get a couple more. :)