Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

vannagirl said:

@snowdog you Hijo de Puta 😄

@Morgrum

hahaha
yes i have also been a couple of times, this one time also, a couple of the guys came back with more then they expected

Hmmm...no picture supplied yet...

And I hope that Spanish phrase is a term of endearment  😮 😛

Thmoas
Rising Star
I don't care and didn't have that much problems before. Ill install as soon as i can, if it kills my rift, ill let all of you know.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig.  Hopefully you'll have nothing but good news for us.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

With this update comes the arrival of... Windows Mixed Reality. Microsoft has partnered with Samsung, Lenova, Acer, HP, and Asus to try to make their AR/VR dream come true:

The Era Of Windows Mixed Reality Starts Now

Microsoft will be flooding the market this holiday season with several headsets manufactured by several companies. They are going to flood the market with different choices and brands that operate through a singular platform, Windows. This allows Microsoft to control the digital marketplace and handle the back-end operations of VR and AR.

Microsoft will be launching its Windows mixed reality platform with more than 20,000 apps in the Microsoft Store.

https://www.vrandfun.com/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-era-starts-now/

It looks like Microsoft is playing "tag" with Facebook. The race to the top starts anew!

Anonymous
Not applicable
20,000 apps..? Hmmmm...how many of those are going to be good though..?

The best thing about Microsoft getting involved in VR is that we're going to end up with a second store that curates their software properly. I doubt if I'll go near the Microsoft Store though, I avoid giving money to Bill Gates whenever possible.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't mind giving my money to Bill Gates, the Rift platform wouldn't work without Microsoft Windows afterall.

I'm sure the 20,000 app's will be mostly noise, but the strategy is the same that Facebook is going after with Go and Santa Cruz.

If Facebook and Microsoft both decided to stop using their own money to flood the VR Market, then it wouldn't be able to sustain itself. This MS news is a step in the right direction to help the Industry thrive. It's the same move Facebook is doing with all their efforts.

I don't plan to buy any Mixed Reality headsets in the near future, but the benefit this has to the VR Industry should be obvious.

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
Well, installing now, wish me luck  😄
Let's see if we need that rollback soon ^^

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mace404 said:

Well, installing now, wish me luck  😄
Let's see if we need that rollback soon ^^

Brave soul!

Let me know how it goes. I haven't taken the plunge yet
:#

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
Well, that was quick.
Didn't even need to roll back myself. Halfway install it rolled back itself.
No notice of what went wrong, not even in the install log files.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
jhrq3f46q9di.jpg
5xbfzkxcbuj0.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.