cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Avatar's are going cross-platform

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Looks like the latest fashion trend in Virtual Reality... is to look like an owner of an Oculus product. Let the VR Fashion Wars begin!

Oculus VR avatars coming to Steam and Daydream in 2018

Oculus VR avatars have really created a buzz in the market since it was realized. But, it still has one big limitation that it is not visible outside of Oculus own’s platform. Oculus has decided to remove this limitation as they revealed that avatars will have cross-platform support from 2018.

Oculus said that initially, avatars will support SteamVR and Daydream VR with support for other platforms coming later in 2018. Oculus also promised tangible upgrades to the avatars.

Oculus also said that developers will have more options like contributing their own apparel (which includes the content that they have to unlock).

Article:

https://www.techleer.com/articles/363-oculus-vr-avatars-coming-to-steam-and-daydream-in-2018/

4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP
The interesting bit is how developers can add their own avatar parts. So you could have (for example) special sunglasses that are only available if you get an achievement in a specific game.
Maybe @cybereality could get some special avatar parts to give out as forum prizes in addition to tshirts? 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Maybe @cybereality could get some special avatar parts to give out as forum prizes in addition to tshirts? 🙂

That would be awesome! Plus he wouldn't have to visit the post office anymore lol

I'm very interested to see how this turns out from the cross-platform implementation. I haven't figured out how this is going to work from a technical perspective. Will the Avatar data be communicated via API's? Is this the first step in OpenXR?

CrashFu
Consultant
Personally I'd just like to see better / more varied avatars available in general.  I'm tired of looking like an elderly blue unskinned model of a man.   Something more stylized / less realistic would be great.

But the ability for developers to allow game-specific clothing items IS really cool, and I hope they do the same thing for decorations / interactive toys we can use in the Oculus Rooms (or whatever we're calling it these days)

Maybe total avatar replacements will be a thing individual developers can offer?  For example, maybe by playing Rec Room I could get the ability to replace my Oculus Avatar WITH a Rec Room avatar?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

kojack said:

That would be awesome! Plus he wouldn't have to visit the post office anymore lol

I'm very interested to see how this turns out from the cross-platform implementation. I haven't figured out how this is going to work from a technical perspective. Will the Avatar data be communicated via API's? Is this the first step in OpenXR?

Well, I think he should still send real shirts. 🙂
But there could be other things like the forum achievements that have avatar rewards. Being a forum member for x years could have a hat, etc.

Of course knowing Oculus, everything would be based on Reddit attendance instead of this forum. 🙂

The way avatars work now is as follows:
App needs an app id.
Use app id to init oculus platform.
Ask platform for the current player id.
Init oculus avatar (needs platform).
Give player id to oculus avatar.
It will now asynchronously return mesh ids for each body part.
Give mesh ids to oculus avatar (one at a time).
It will now asynchronously return mesh data for the mesh to requested.
(The Avatar sdk also has a function that takes the current input state of Touch and generates bone data to move the fingers in the hand mesh, so you don't need to work that out yourself)

If you want to render other people, just use another player's id instead of yours and repeat the process.

I haven't tried, but in theory we could already use oculus avatars in SteamVR games (I'm just guessing). They'd need to have a registered Oculus app id and link with the oculus platform and avatar libs. But the actual rendering of the avatars is oculus independent. However there's no current way for non oculus owners to customise their avatars, so it's a bit pointless to try right now.

The new avatar system:
httpspbstwimgcommediaDMCWLhgWkAEBfqPjpg

CrashFu said:

For example, maybe by playing Rec Room I could get the ability to replace my Oculus Avatar WITH a Rec Room avatar?

I love the Rec Room avatars. They just look so happy. 🙂
httpmediasandhillscomimgaxdid3005752329widpextw0h0tlp2cTruewtFalseszMaxrt0checksumIcVFAkNK4b2Fmjt6f4J0ctlhvruqoPPo1
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2