New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,843 Valuable Player
    Ohh great, this may be interesting...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • 1point21jiggawattz1point21jiggawattz Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    I'll need to edit my reg to make Windows think I'm using a metered connection again... I'd like to hold off on the update until I've seen if it's got any big bugs like last time.
    Hey, I have a signature. 
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    Hahaha i was so going to post a nooooooooooo

Windows 10 updates aka piece o crap
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player

• paesanpaesan Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am a windows insider and already have the Fall Creators update, no issue on my end.
    Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
    EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
    Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:
    I expect it to have no impact at all on the Rift.
    I am finding this the most adorable response to a windows update in oculus for ages.

The last major update went through here faster then herpes in a Thai brothel

Ermmm...and what would YOU know about Herpes in Thai brothels, exactly..?

@vannagirl IS A LADYBOY CONFIRMED!!! :o:D:D:D

Of course you COULD disprove this claim by PMing me a picture of yourself naked B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,657 Valuable Player
    Having been to Thailand Vannagirls comment is frightening!
    WAAAGH!

hah! Yes I've been to Thailand as well, but I stuck to snorkeling and eating this stuff:

edited October 2017
    I think the most dangerous thing you can do in Thailand might not be sleeping with the local populace which has a massive std rate its eating streetfood in bangkok.
    WAAAGH!

I've been tested since my return and I'm happy to report that I'm free and clear of any ailments, both external and internal!

@snowdog you Hijo de Puta :D

@Morgrum

hahaha
    yes i have also been a couple of times, this one time also, a couple of the guys came back with more then they expected
    vannagirl said:

@Morgrum

hahaha
    yes i have also been a couple of times, this one time also, a couple of the guys came back with more then they expected
    Im assuming the answer to what they came back with is YES.

WAAAGH!
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    @Zenbane, thanks for the heads up on this.  I didn't know this was coming.  I had a few problems with the last one.  Uggh, maybe I'll delay it for a while to see how it goes for the Rift.  Not feeling good about this.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 227
    Nexus 6
    Yes, thanks for the heads up!!

I just put my system into 'Defer Updates'...it'll at least give some time before it auto-updates. Prob till Feb 2018 at least. Only Win 10 Pro and up can do this though.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Morgrum said:

Im assuming the answer to what they came back with is YES.

Yes they were called up to their CO. I doubt that was anything though to any call up they had with a wife or GF

wow i totally forgot of the streetfood, cheapest way to live but dangerously

back to subject, how to block this update, it was hell many progs were installed but not installed after that creators. There is no way to turn them off now?
    vannagirl said:

@Morgrum

hahaha

Hmmm...no picture supplied yet...

And I hope that Spanish phrase is a term of endearment  :o:p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ThmoasThmoas Posts: 321
    Trinity
    I don't care and didn't have that much problems before. Ill install as soon as i can, if it kills my rift, ill let all of you know.
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig.  Hopefully you'll have nothing but good news for us.
    edited October 2017

With this update comes the arrival of... Windows Mixed Reality. Microsoft has partnered with Samsung, Lenova, Acer, HP, and Asus to try to make their AR/VR dream come true:

The Era Of Windows Mixed Reality Starts Now

Microsoft will be flooding the market this holiday season with several headsets manufactured by several companies. They are going to flood the market with different choices and brands that operate through a singular platform, Windows. This allows Microsoft to control the digital marketplace and handle the back-end operations of VR and AR.

Microsoft will be launching its Windows mixed reality platform with more than 20,000 apps in the Microsoft Store.

https://www.vrandfun.com/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-era-starts-now/

It looks like Microsoft is playing "tag" with Facebook. The race to the top starts anew!

20,000 apps..? Hmmmm...how many of those are going to be good though..?

The best thing about Microsoft getting involved in VR is that we're going to end up with a second store that curates their software properly. I doubt if I'll go near the Microsoft Store though, I avoid giving money to Bill Gates whenever possible.

I don't mind giving my money to Bill Gates, the Rift platform wouldn't work without Microsoft Windows afterall.

I'm sure the 20,000 app's will be mostly noise, but the strategy is the same that Facebook is going after with Go and Santa Cruz.

If Facebook and Microsoft both decided to stop using their own money to flood the VR Market, then it wouldn't be able to sustain itself. This MS news is a step in the right direction to help the Industry thrive. It's the same move Facebook is doing with all their efforts.

I don't plan to buy any Mixed Reality headsets in the near future, but the benefit this has to the VR Industry should be obvious.
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    Well, installing now, wish me luck  :D
    Let's see if we need that rollback soon ^^
    Mace404 said:
    Well, installing now, wish me luck  :D
    Let's see if we need that rollback soon ^^

Brave soul!

Let me know how it goes. I haven't taken the plunge yet
    :#
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    Well, that was quick.
    Didn't even need to roll back myself. Halfway install it rolled back itself.
    No notice of what went wrong, not even in the install log files.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,559 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2017

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• sanderbossanderbos Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2017
    So I this thread is about the fall update. But since it's talking about windows updates in the context of the Rift, I hope I can ask the following:

I recently updated to the creator's edition, so the now previous release. And I have a very annoying problem now in that on my GTX970 system I have these flashes of black on my desktop screen about every 10 minutes. It's not every 10 minutes it seems, sometimes it takes an hour or so to start, but then every 10 or so minutes the screen goes to black for 2 or 3 frames (not 1 I think), and immediately goes back to normal. It is both in desktop mode and when a game is displaying.

I could not find any references to it (plenty of screen flickering and black screens with creator's edition, but then apparently it is continuous, not this quick flash of black every few minutes). It started as soon as I had the creator's edition, and I have had an NVidia driver update since.

So probably it has nothing to do with the Rift, but since it's apparently rare, and so of course is having a Rift installed relatively speaking, anyone with this same problem? Anyone? Bueller?

Back on topic: Yes, I can't wait to upgrade the Fall edition, but only to see whether it will make the foul taste in my mouth of the bl**dy creator's edition go away (which also has issues keeping persistent network drive connections persistent, something that worked for 5 years with my current setup without any issue).