Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

Roaster
Rising Star
Rift works fine still and have no other apparent problems. Version 1709 running.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

All is good here as well. Install finished, got the Welcome to the Fall Creators Derp message.

I loaded up The Invisible Hours in the Rift. Flawless VR usage.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
OK, thanks for the update.  This is good news.  Still not comfy about this yet but at least it doesn't convert the Rift into a paper weight.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

My update is still downloading. I feel like it has been stuck at 94% for awhile, which makes me nervous.

There's few things more terrifying that an unmoving critical Windows status indicator. When that status indicator appears motionless, I'm too terrified to touch anything...

Ok Zen what movie is that and whos the uncle fester looking dude.
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's a Short called, Bedfellows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6flB0XvmTo

Roaster
Rising Star

Roaster said:

Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.

@Roaster what gaming machine did you pull the plug and hold the power button for 3 minutes on?  My computer wouldn't do anything in response to something like this (at least I don't think so).

What does holding the power button do on a pc?

The specs for my pc are in the sig line below. Home built.
This power button thing was a new trick for me, done at the request of Microsoft tech support.
It sounds like a hard reset for a pda or cell phone. Disconnecting the power puts the pc on the cmos battery. Holding the power button down will discharge something making the pc fully reboot. The pc went to a bios report screen first and said something about overclocking failed, I just went to bios setup and did a save and exit, rebooted and it brought up the picture screen for logon.  Entered the newest password (having changed it 3 times trying to get in) and it did a waiting thing for much longer than usual and the tech said it was finishing the update setup, then went to normal desktop with a generic background image.
Tech had me restart twice again to make sure it was good and here we are.
Number for support is 1-800-642-7676, very nice people at the call center.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

flexy123
Superstar
I couldn't test with the Rift yet (it's in RMA), but this update was quite a pain in the ass.
Mainly because this fricking update reset LOTS of my settings and removed some devices (like my mouse drivers), removed my folder symlinks in Windows, changed system fonts to that ugly default Ogre font, installed NVidia drivers I don't want..and..and..and...so I spent 2 hours or so after that stupid update to change my Windows back like I had it. Oh yeah, and it also reactivated hibernate again (which I ALWAYS have off) and smashed a 20GB hibernate file on my SSD where I never have much space anyway. So I also had to redo my powersettings.REALLY annoying. And at the first attempt it even failed since it found 90% into installation that it needed more space.

Oh, and it also reset Windows search settings for each file-type, so I had to spend 20mins just to go through this for each filetype and reset it to "index file properties only", otherwise the Windows search file always gets huge.

Richooal
Consultant
Another positive Windows Update here.
It was slow, but no problems anywhere, my Rift is unharmed.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

vannagirl
Consultant
This is good news, i have a full reinstall facing me, i have this super annoying microstutter with mouse and audio / video and in genral in the os so i try do all of this update at the same time.

@Zenbane

I love this short, there are some super high quality ones in youtube for sure, great for when Hollywood is going boring on us.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

Roaster said:

Roaster said:

Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.

@Roaster what gaming machine did you pull the plug and hold the power button for 3 minutes on?  My computer wouldn't do anything in response to something like this (at least I don't think so).

What does holding the power button do on a pc?

The specs for my pc are in the sig line below. Home built.
This power button thing was a new trick for me, done at the request of Microsoft tech support.
It sounds like a hard reset for a pda or cell phone. Disconnecting the power puts the pc on the cmos battery. Holding the power button down will discharge something making the pc fully reboot. The pc went to a bios report screen first and said something about overclocking failed, I just went to bios setup and did a save and exit, rebooted and it brought up the picture screen for logon.  Entered the newest password (having changed it 3 times trying to get in) and it did a waiting thing for much longer than usual and the tech said it was finishing the update setup, then went to normal desktop with a generic background image.
Tech had me restart twice again to make sure it was good and here we are.
Number for support is 1-800-642-7676, very nice people at the call center.

@Roaster - thanks for the detailed answer.  I have an older Intel DX79SI motherboard and I wonder if holding the power button would do the same for me.  I've never done this but will keep in mind as something to try.

Thanks again.  Gad to see that you're up and running.