cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a GTX 970 absolutely REQUIRED for the Oculus to run?

Lucasballer84
Sightseer
I am thinking about buying an Oculus Rift for christmas because the Vive is too expensive but I am not sure if a 970 is required for the Rift to run or if it is just strongly recommended. If I buy a Rift can I play games with a 760 (the card I have) or will it not allow me?
11 REPLIES 11

KenSniper
Adventurer
you can try the compatibility tool provided in the download section, but im pretty sure a 760 wont cut it, but 970 isnt the minimum anymore, and i think youre better off gtx 1060, which is cheaper than a 970 and also if im not mistaken VR compatible

Lucasballer84
Sightseer
alright thanks!

CrashFu
Consultant
If you don't have a specific brand-loyalty to NVIDIA,  you might also consider something like an R9 290X.   I got one of those on eBay for a real bargain, and I haven't been disappointed by it yet.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

cybereality
Grand Champion
GTX 760 won't be nearly enough. A GTX 1050 Ti would be the cheapest card you can get new that will be alright.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
A friend of mine just bought a Rift and he's only got a GTX 960. He says everything seems to be running mostly fine but I'm not sure what games he's actually playing. He is planning on upgrading to a GTX 1070 towards Christmas though, so maybe he's just seeing the 960 as "ok for now". 

Dan1018
Adventurer
if possible try to get the 1060 6gb (not 3gb).

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Pretty sure Oculus lowered the min spec to GTX960 back when ASW came out.

bizjer
Expert Protege
I went from a 970 to a 1080 recently. The jump isn't that big visually just the ASW tends not to kick in as much. You can get a 970 on ebay for about £100.00 at the moment.

flexy123
Superstar
Man get a used 970, I just got another for my wife. This old card still has an awesome price/performance ratio and it can WELL cover for most/many things in VR. Look on classified sites or hardware forums. I think it's absolutely worth it. I wouldn't go with below min spec "just to be able to run VR".