Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Well the update messed up my graphics drivers and my hotas drivers. I had to uninstall both and reinstall. What a pain 

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Mine didn't upgrade correctly. I got some error on restart, restarts after that would continue showing that message rather than boot into the not yet upgraded Windows, until I powered down and back up. Did that whole process a few times ... until it wouldn't boot at all anymore. So I reinstalled using a freshly generated USB key (that has the creators update already) and am now in the process of installing my software again.

It's a little bit annoying to spend a few hours doing all the reinstallation but no data lost and the system had accumulated a fair bit of cruft, so it won't hurt I guess.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Oh god nooo

Why the hell did I update, I normally hold off but this update has fu**ed me right up

I cannot even click on my start menu or access anything on my taskbar, so can't even get into settings to try to uninstall the update and cannot even go back to the previous build by holding down shift and restarting

Tried uninstalling my antivirus but I can't even install anything and it's like all my apps have been reset to their default settings and a lot of them I can't even access, I can just about get into command prompt and powershell but I've tried loads of troubleshooting steps and ran sfc scan but nothing is working and their doesnt seem to be any corrupt windows files and the install seemed to complete as normal

Even microsoft support couldn't do much for me as we couldnt install the assist tool so they couldn't connect to my pc and troubleshoot, they just got me to download windows 10 and the repair tool to a usb and run that, but I'm guessing this will pretty much mean I've gotta install all my applications again, which am not too bothered about but this will mean having to reinstall oculus again and then lose all my saved games, then I'm gonna be very pi++ed off

Cannot believe this update could cause you so many issues, it's worse than having a virus

Thanks a lot microsoft, was considering a new pc this may just push me into getting one now
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
Sounds like a permission issue on your profile. If you can, check if you have full control on your user profile folder and replace all permissions to underlying files/folders.

Nij
Heroic Explorer

Mace404 said:

Sounds like a permission issue on your profile. If you can, check if you have full control on your user profile folder and replace all permissions to underlying files/folders.

Yeah did have a look at this and everything seems normal, i'm set to adminisstrator and have full permissions, very strange, surely I'd still be able to click my taskbar and start menu, I've read that's a common issue after most updates and I've tried loads of resolutions to try and fix it but doesn't work, can't even open settings, even through run command!, tried ms:settings and it says 'you'll need an app to run this'
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Can you create a new profile (that's a local admin) and log in with that? Then you can make sure the permissions on everything else are so that your original account has permissions everywhere it needs to.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Tried that too, I can't get into settings but can get into control panel, try and add a user but nothing happens, tried it through command prompt too, it's like i've been completely locked out of my system, I've given up now, I'm reinstalling Windows, I really should of held off on this update, don't think I'm the only one having issues 

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Not sure holding off would really have helped, sometimes Windows can just get beyond "repair" (and I guess upgrade installations like these).

But hey, at least if you install anew you'll have a nice fresh configuration again. Mine had definitely got bloated, with lots of software installed that I don't currently use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

shiari said:

Not sure holding off would really have helped, sometimes Windows can just get beyond "repair" (and I guess upgrade installations like these).

But hey, at least if you install anew you'll have a nice fresh configuration again. Mine had definitely got bloated, with lots of software installed that I don't currently use.

Yup, it's VERY easy for Windows installations to get messed up. I usually format my system drive and do a fresh install once a year to avoid headaches. Might do that soon because the version I'm running is well over a year old now.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Yeah your probably right, wouldn't of made much difference, I've just completed an install but chose to keep my apps and files and it hasn't fixed it, pretty much everything I try and run will give an error message n usually say access is denied, so will prob need to run it again but do a clean install

My ssd died a bit ago and as much as I dreaded reinstalling everything it wasn't that bad once I'd done it and you do have a nice fresh configuration, just didn't wanna lose all my Oculus saves, found some software online called Oculus mover that's supposed to back up your saves, dunno if it works tho