cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall creators update wiped out my Oculus drivers

superdave132
Explorer
I just installed the Microsoft fall creators update to windows 10 and it broke my Oculus. Now all I see when I put the headset on is black screen.

looks like they killed the driver because my device manager doesn't recognize the hardware anymore, but it still sees the sensors.
53 REPLIES 53

superdave132
Explorer
Reinstalled the Oculus software completely, same outcome, after fresh install, no driver, software can't see the headset.  Headset completely dead with black screen. Something tells me Microsoft pulled the driver because its beta and not WHQL certified to make the update more compatible and removed all the uncertified drivers (just a theory).  There starting to crack down on non WHQL drivers to prevent problems during the updates. 

kzintzi
Trustee
no idea what driver you're using then.. maybe look at updating your motherboard drivers to versions post creator release
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Roaster
Rising Star

Reinstalled the Oculus software completely, same outcome, after fresh install, no driver, software can't see the headset.  Headset completely dead with black screen. Something tells me Microsoft pulled the driver because its beta and not WHQL certified to make the update more compatible and removed all the uncertified drivers (just a theory).  There starting to crack down on non WHQL drivers to prevent problems during the updates. 

I'm running W10-1709 and the Rift is working fine. No idea what your problem is but it's not the generic Windows environment. Whatever made the Rift work before is still working. They haven't derailed the drivers or whatever else makes it happen.
Of course I wasn't plugged in at the time, so who knows. Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Roaster said:

I'm running W10-1709 and the Rift is working fine. No idea what your problem is but it's not the generic Windows environment. Whatever made the Rift work before is still working. They haven't derailed the drivers or whatever else makes it happen.
Of course I wasn't plugged in at the time, so who knows. Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

That would be interesting to hear, if anyone that left their Rift and sensors plugged in during the update did not have any issue. The update has not made it to me yet and now getting somewhat concerned for when it does.

kojack
MVP
MVP

kzintzi said:

• to my knowledge the Rift headset doesn't actually show up as anything in Device manager (not sure if it did before Creator's update or not but it doesn't now).

Yep, the sensors will be listed, and rift audio. But not the cv1 itself.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Richooal
Consultant

Roaster said:

Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

My update went without problem. Everything was left plugged in.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

Roaster said:

Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

My update went without problem. Everything was left plugged in.

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
Same for me, I updated this morning and took the risk to leave everything plugged : my update went fine and my Rift works as expected 🙂
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

augywrc
Explorer
Mine updated fine with everything plugged in 

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you experience issue with the Windows Update, can you please submit a ticket so we can investigate?
https://support.oculus.com/
You can also upload your logs in this thread and I can take a look. See how to do that here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV