Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

Nij
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

shiari said:

Not sure holding off would really have helped, sometimes Windows can just get beyond "repair" (and I guess upgrade installations like these).

But hey, at least if you install anew you'll have a nice fresh configuration again. Mine had definitely got bloated, with lots of software installed that I don't currently use.

Yup, it's VERY easy for Windows installations to get messed up. I usually format my system drive and do a fresh install once a year to avoid headaches. Might do that soon because the version I'm running is well over a year old now.

Yeah prob a good idea that, tempted to get a new PC now anyway  😄 been considering it for a while, good excuse now to do it 
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Managed to create a new profile and avoided a clean install, my original profile had been corrupted during the creators update, so a new one did fix it and I've copied everything over from my corrupt profile, just hope all my Oculus games saves are there, quite a few of them seem to be in app data/local 
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

nalex66
MVP
MVP
As far as I've seen, your saves should either be in AppData, your Documents folder, or the game's own directory. If you check those locations, you should be able to salvage all your save games. If you can manage it, don't delete the old user profile folder until you're sure you've retrieved everything. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Wildt
Consultant
Oculus home etc works fine for me post update, but SteamVR is gone, and I can't reinstall it! Anyone else had this problem?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Roaster
Rising Star

Wildt said:

Oculus home etc works fine for me post update, but SteamVR is gone, and I can't reinstall it! Anyone else had this problem?

I still have it.  Very strange update from MS.  It's not supposed to be a matter of luck as to what happens.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wildt said:

Well that's no great loss tbh lmfao 😮 😄 😄 😄

vannagirl
Consultant

Wildt said:

Had to force it to update but steam has been giving me updates for steamVR when i logged steam. Do you have a backup?

The update is also fine for Oculus this round, but i have to reinstall with other issues still 😞
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Well all was well after creating my new account and copying everything over from my old user to my new one until I just tried to log into the new account and it instantly signs me back out again, oh lord, just when I was getting somewhere!

My MS account is still linked to my corrupt profile, wondering if this is the issue 

Wildt
Consultant
I figured out what my problem was (one of them anyways :wink: ) - The symbolic link I had made for "steamapps" was apparently invalidated during the update. I removed it and recreated it, and voila! SteamVR reappeared.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

elboffor
Consultant
That aint what your problem is...
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.