cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving the "permanent" Guardian Wall : Wall height

HiThere_
Superstar
The "permanent" version of the Guardian Wall can only be switched on, or switched off.

Instead, I would like a slider that allows me to choose the height I want for the "permanent" Guardian Wall, between 0% and 100%

So that depending on the game, I could decide to leave it switched on permanently, but maybe just at ankle height, or at knee height, or even at waist height... depending on which game I'm playing.

That's because I find the current "permanent" full laser cage mode to be way too immersion breaking and intrusive to be left permanently switched on, and the ground marking to be too low to be useful, unless I keep looking down at the ground to check it.

This would allow me to dodge shots in room scale wave shooters like SPACE PIRATE TRAINER with the "permanent" Guardian Wall switched on, but at a much lower height so it doesn't raise between me and the drones, while moving around with wider and faster gestures because I know where and when I risk triggering a full Guardian Wall alert.

Because of course, when the user does get close to the Guardian Wall limits, it then
lightens up under it's current highly intrusive full laser cage form at it's full 100% height, regardless of the new height setting of it's "permanent" version.
14 REPLIES 14

Richooal
Consultant
What is this "permanent Guardian Wall" of which you speak?
I have only a "temporary Guardian Wall" which appears if I breach my playing space perimeter.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Dan1018
Adventurer
what I need is to tourn guardian off in automatic for certains apps, for example oculus video (or similar apps). I need it because I have to turn it ON when i stop to see a video in VR if I play some games.
please add this feature if possible. 🙂

HiThere_
Superstar

Richooal said:

If your VR space is too narrow in either width or depth the guardian wall stays lit permanently, at which point you're better off switching it off (or finding a way to trick it during the setup process, such as scanning with the Touch controller over your furniture).

So the idea is to provide a less intrusive Guardian Wall, which you can leave permanently switched on in ~all applications.

74Loki
Protege

Cyril said:

Richooal said:

If your VR space is too narrow in either width or depth the guardian wall stays lit permanently, at which point you're better off switching it off (or finding a way to trick it during the setup process, such as scanning with the Touch controller over your furniture).

So the idea is to provide a less intrusive Guardian Wall, which you can leave permanently switched on in ~all applications.

If your play space is this dang small I'm not sure any high action VR games that require the guardian system in the first place would be your best choice. What do you play in, a closet?

74Loki
Protege

dan108 said:

what I need is to tourn guardian off in automatic for certains apps, for example oculus video (or similar apps). I need it because I have to turn it ON when i stop to see a video in VR if I play some games.
please add this feature if possible. 🙂

This is what I'd love to see. Having to go back through setup after disabling it is a pain. Having a setting we could save and toggle on or off would be awesome.

Mace404
Heroic Explorer

74Loki said:
This is what I'd love to see. Having to go back through setup after disabling it is a pain. Having a setting we could save and toggle on or off would be awesome.

You can disable and enable Guardian trough the Universal Menu. No need for running the setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always have mine turned off. I just look down through the nose gap to see if I'm close to bashing anything.

kzintzi
Trustee
chose "don't care" as my play space is large enough that I have to step 2 paces in any direction to trigger the guardian, so only see it when I step to my desk to put it down. would be a useful option for people who have a small space though
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

HiThere_
Superstar

74Loki said:

If your play space is this dang small I'm not sure any high action VR
games that require the guardian system in the first place would be your
best choice. What do you play in, a closet?

In my bedroom, with some furniture that belongs there, and if I take two
steps in any direction I'm right next to my VR border (an inch from triggering the Guardian Wall), where I risk
crashing straight though my VR space before the default Guardian Wall
can do anything to stop me if I dare throw a fast punch forward.

Now if I had a
subtle low-height (but not ground height) reminder of how close I am to
my VR borders, when I keep moving and turning around and lose myself, I
would still know how close I am to my borders BEFORE deciding if I can
safely throw a fast punch forward.

So the idea is to replace the Guardian wall's on/off switch with a height slider :
- 0% height : The Guardian Wall never appears (same as the current "off" setting)
- 1% to 99% height : The Guardian Wall stays on permanently, at the required height
- 100% height : The Guardian Wall only appears when you get next to it (same as the current "on" setting)

Do
people with a huge VR space that are careful enough not to wander too
close to their VR borders or never play intensive VR games that have you
throwing your body and arms around (think 360° wave shooter with body dodging mechanics) need this height
slider ? No they don't, but it's not like they're losing anything since
the Guardian Wall would still have it's on (100% height) and off (0%
height) settings available to them.

As for me, instead of
creating the full height Guardian Wall at the position of my walls, I
would instead create my low height Guardian Wall at "one arm's length"
from every wall, which would let me know that as long as I'm inside that
low height wall, I can safely throw my arms in any direction as fast as
I want, and ALSO would let me include the space over my bed as arm
space (but not leg space) available just outside of my low height VR
wall (which is something I can't do with the current full height
Guardian Wall mechanics), as most VR games typically don't require
require you to bend over to pick something off the ground (which is
uncomfortable to use as a game mechanic anyway).

Adds something
to me, removed nothing from anyone else, and even those who don't care
about it might end up putting it to use, if only when their children are
playing and they'd rather depend on a permanent low height visual
queue, then on the current invisible Guardian Wall that might trigger too
late when their child suddenly decides it's time to start running straight through it
(specially if they begin using a wireless kit for their VR headset, which makes it even more difficult even for an adult to keep figuring out which side is which without a visual queue).