Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
42 REPLIES 42

lhaw
Honored Guest

I am very pleased with the AVOlight software,

but because of possible vision problems from head mounted displays,

(I may be pushing my eyes left, right, up, & down, so intensely my eye muscles are getting distorted)

I may be forced to stop (sob!) using my Oculus.

I LOVE the AVOlight vast expanse of many windows,

how it can be set up & then saved for future reactivation,

& how one can 'scroll' around over what amounts to

a giant seemless desktop covered with all sorts of videos, pictures, etc.

My question is this: Can I do it without a head mounted display? Do you guys know of software that is essentially AVOlight but with a 'scrolling' or panning of the display, say controlled with a joy stick or something, that produces a space full of things that can be saved & recalled like your wonderful AVOlight does?

I do not want to give up my Oculus, but if you produce or know of something that does what AVOlight does using a regular pan-able display (or something..) could you tell me what it's called? (I want to get it!)

You're doing a great job with AVOlight, so keep it up!

Sincerely, Lhaw

lhaw
Honored Guest

Greetings!

There is an interface overlay I've glimpsed in passing somewhere, that makes AVOLight look like a *movie theater*, & gives (I hope) limiting edges to the area where the video instances are displayed.
In other words, instead of an infinite spatial expanse, edges are introduced (in the form of the 'theater' movie screen) that hopefully can limit the viewing angles.

Where can I turn this on, & perhaps set it as a default?

And on another topic, does it look like AVOLight will work on the new Microsoft Mixed Reality Headsets once Steam & Microsoft sync up?

Thanks!
Lhaw

lain811
Honored Guest
Is it possible to crop pictures, and/or zoom-in (keeping position/size of pictures the same, not pulling it towards me) ?
And is it possible to buy it outside steam or oculus store ?

HiThere_
Superstar

lain811 said:

Is it possible to crop pictures, and/or zoom-in (keeping position/size of pictures the same, not pulling it towards me) ?

I can confirm that AVOlight does have a working zoom-in slider in it's GUI : Have you tried out the demo ?

HiThere_
Superstar

lhaw said:

because of possible vision problems from head mounted displays,

(I may be pushing my eyes left, right, up, & down, so intensely my eye muscles are getting distorted)

Rather then looking left/right/up/down it's more like
you're focusing ~2m away when using the CV1 : You should relax your
eyesight by taking off the VR headset and focusing on far away objects
in real life.

lhaw said:

AVOlight auto saves the screen configuration to
"autosave.AVOlight.Space.txt" when you quit : Just click on
"autosave.AVOlight.Space.txt" then on the "load" button when you restart
AVOlight, to restore it.

If you want to save a more permanent
screen configuration to another name that won't be automatically
overwritten each time you quit AVOlight : click on the floppy disk icon,
click on the "AVOlight" text box (that doesn't look like a text box),
replace the default "AVOlight" text with another name of your choice
(using your real life keyboard) and save it.

Then click on that
new save name instead of the default name, then on the "load" icon, to
restore that screen configuration when you restart AVOlight.

I just remembered the developer already posted this picture in this thread :

lhaw said:

&
how one can 'scroll' around over what amounts to a giant seemless
desktop covered with all sorts of videos, pictures, etc.
What
I do is create a window, resize it to my convenience, point it to a
local directory full of media (pictures and/or videos), and switch on
it's"random select"  icon...

And from there I just clone that
window multiple times, and without any additional configuration each
window will play it's own random selection of media from that directory
(and all it's sub-directories). Each of witch can be switched to it's
own next random selection with a quick click through the thumbstick
shortcut used to switch any window to it's next media.

lhaw said:

My question is this: Can I do it without a head mounted display?

If you didn't switch off the default Oculus Window that duplicates the
display of the oculus : Put something in front of the CV1 (like your
hand, or a piece of paper), to trick the CV1 into thinking you're still
wearing it, and then you can watch the CV1 content in spectator mode on
your 2D monitor, as you can another CV1 content.

Because the
problem with the Touch controllers, is that they only work through the
CV1 and it's USB cable (and not directly through the PC, like the XBox gamepad does) : A 2D version of AVOlight would be unable to use the Touch
controllers as it's input controller if the CV1 is switched off.

HiThere_
Superstar

lhaw said:

Greetings!

There is an interface overlay I've glimpsed in passing somewhere, that makes AVOLight look like a *movie theater*, & gives (I hope) limiting edges to the area where the video instances are displayed.
In other words, instead of an infinite spatial expanse, edges are introduced (in the form of the 'theater' movie screen) that hopefully can limit the viewing angles.

I haven't seen those limiting edges... but basically you can put the video instances 360° around you wherever you want (both vertically and horizontally), so if you want to place them within rectangular edges in front of you, you just have to place them that way and that's how they'll be : Pyramid/star/cross/whatever shape you want... any shape is possible, even a full 3D sphere covered with media viewers, since you have no limit to how you can place them.

As for saving and loading back the screen configuration you created, same answer that I detailed in the post just above :

It's not fully automatic, but takes 2 clicks to do at launch : Select the save name and click the "load" button, on the single window that appears in front of you when you launch AVOlight.

You can also switch to another saved screen configuration at any time, through the common "floppy disk" icon available from any media viewer you open : Because in AVOlight, every last window is a fully fledged media viewer, including that first window that automatically pops up when you launch AVOlight.

AVOlight
Protege

lhaw said:

I am very pleased with the AVOlight software,

but because of possible vision problems from head mounted displays,

I LOVE the AVOlight vast expanse of many windows,

& how one can 'scroll' around over what amounts to

a giant seemless desktop covered with all sorts of videos, pictures, etc.

My question is this: Can I do it without a head mounted display? Do you guys know of software that is essentially AVOlight but with a 'scrolling' or panning of the display, say controlled with a joy stick or something, that produces a space full of things that can be saved & recalled like your wonderful AVOlight does?

I do not want to give up my Oculus, but if you produce or know of something that does what AVOlight does using a regular pan-able display (or something..) could you tell me what it's called? (I want to get it!)

You're doing a great job with AVOlight, so keep it up!

Sincerely, Lhaw

Thank you Lhaw ::smile:

Sorry for the late reply.
I've failed as a dev/entrepreneur so I've been feeling hollow/depressed and just wanted to escape for a while; 
but I'm feeling better now and have been putting time into development again.

I will try to find a quick way to add a non-vr mode for the next update

Cheers,
Nicklas

AVOlight
Protege

lhaw said:

Greetings!

And on another topic, does it look like AVOLight will work on the new Microsoft Mixed Reality Headsets once Steam & Microsoft sync up?

Thanks!
Lhaw

Hi again, not sure what that was,
but the quickest way to add edges is to use multiple media players as edges. 
will have to make some changes to support Microsoft Mixed Reality,  
right now most of my time is going into adding something fun to play, which is also helping me keep up development

Cheers,

Nicklas

AVOlight
Protege

lain811 said:

And is it possible to buy it outside steam or oculus store ?

hello, haven't added it anywhere else, but it is free now

AVOlight
Protege

Cyril said:

lain811 said:

I can confirm that AVOlight does have a working zoom-in slider in it's GUI : Have you tried out the demo ?

Thank you @Cyril