cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Intel graphics primary display and Nvidia card just for Rift?

moheban79
Honored Guest
Hi,
Was wondering if I can use my Intel igpu for my display and the Nvidia card for the Rift? 

The reason I ask is that my DVI port on my 1060GTX is blocked and only got the HDMI available. Thus connecting the Rift display
to the hdmi doesn't work when using the iGpu for display.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, you cannot use the integrated GPU at all, even connected to a monitor. You should have some DisplayPort ports on that card, try getting a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter to use for your monitor.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Roaster
Rising Star
Blocked by what?  Can you unblock it?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

moheban79
Honored Guest
No thats because since the video card is vertically mounted the case door blocks the back video ports. Only was I was able to use it was through hdmi using a slim flat hdmi cable. The dvi or displayport cable plugs are too thick and I would never be able to close the door. Only other option is to cut the plastic and expose those ports but would look ugly.

Interesting though when I hook up my Oculus to the hdmi cable on the 1060 GTX and use the igpu Intel dvi connection MSI Afterburner reports high levels of gpu utilitization despite not getting a picture on the Oculus. Makes me wonder what would happen if I used a dvi port enabler device?
Thanks

Roaster
Rising Star
Ugly or functional.
Screwdriver.
Hammer.
Tin snips.

It's up to you  of course.  I used to do ductwork, so I got used to banging on a thing until it fit.
As I understand it, the Rift gets it's video by voodoo.  Windows does not see the Rift as a display, so the main monitor needs to be on the gpu card to make it work. The Rift gets it's signal by piggy-backing on it.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

moheban79
Honored Guest
Well I finally got it working and with out needing a EDID signal from a main monitor. As it turns out my hdmi cable extension I used inside of my case that ran from a vertically mounted 1060GTX could not carry the proper signal for the rift to activate. Now I have my iGpu (630HD) working as the main display and the 1060 serving the Oculus. I can verify that the 1060 is powering the Rift via AfterBurner Gpu utilization graphs.

The only thing is I can't get into the Nvidia control panel unless I have a monitor attached to the video card but its kind of cool that I have a dedicated video card serving the Rift. Only way to tweak the graphic settings is to use the Oculus Tray Tool. Wonder if the Nvidia  Inspector will work. Have to check. I'll be using the built in iGpu for home theater stuff anyhow. So if anyone is having display problems check your cable.

moheban79
Honored Guest
Having a little problem playing back video on the VR when the iGpu cable is plugged in. I mean I can still use the apps on the Rift but videos are missing unless I unplug the igpu display cable or just extend the display.