cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stuttering

bsselp
Protege
So went in to play some Rift yesterday for the first time in a while and suddenly noticed that in the Home screen, when I turn my head right or left, there's a pretty noticeable stuttering effect of the image. It also happens when moving my head up or down, but not as much. I repositioned and reset all of the 3 cameras and went through the entire setup process multiple times and the same thing is happening. I read elsewhere that MSI Afterburner could be causing the issues so I uninstalled that and no change. I tried playing a few games and the same thing. Noticeable stutter when moving my head. I have an Nvidia gtx1080. Could this be an issue with their latest driver release? It really makes the Rift almost unplayable.
62 REPLIES 62

bsselp
Protege

Vetkin said:

I'm also using a gtx1080 and have the same problem I think. When I move my head it'll stutter for a brief second before continuing normally. For me it's not a constant stutter, just an occasional annoying immersion breaking hiccup. I just uninstalled Asus Sonic Suite so I'm hoping that'll fix it for me.

Yes, I think we have the same issue. Mine doesn't stutter constantly either, just when I move my head left or right. It's immersion breaking for sure and actually makes my kind of ill....

sbhusted
Honored Guest
I just built a new i7-8700K system this past weekend, and I use the Rift in iRacing.  I was seeing a lot of stuttering and it was related to the hardware monitoring software I had installed and running.  I had the ASUS AI Suite that came with my ROG Maximus X Hero, the Corsair Link software for my liquid cooler, AND the EVGA Precision.  Reading the posts above, I also have the ASUS Sonic Suite as well!  However, almost all of my stuttering stopped after turning off the Corsair Link and EVGA Precision - although I had never had a problem with the EVGA Precision running on my previous systems.  That said, I think I'm going to uninstall all the ASUS software as well and then try the Precision by itself to see how that works.  I can do all my OCing in the BIOS, don't need the AI Software or Sonic software anyways.   

Glad I found this thread!  

Vetkin
Expert Protege

sbhusted said:

I just built a new i7-8700K system this past weekend, and I use the Rift in iRacing.  I was seeing a lot of stuttering and it was related to the hardware monitoring software I had installed and running.  I had the ASUS AI Suite that came with my ROG Maximus X Hero, the Corsair Link software for my liquid cooler, AND the EVGA Precision.  Reading the posts above, I also have the ASUS Sonic Suite as well!  However, almost all of my stuttering stopped after turning off the Corsair Link and EVGA Precision - although I had never had a problem with the EVGA Precision running on my previous systems.  That said, I think I'm going to uninstall all the ASUS software as well and then try the Precision by itself to see how that works.  I can do all my OCing in the BIOS, don't need the AI Software or Sonic software anyways.   

Glad I found this thread!  

I'm running Corsair Link and EVGA Precision as well.  I hope I don't have to turn both of those off.  I tested my Rift out last night after just uninstalling ASUS Sonic Suite and it seemed to run better. I still had the occasional stutter but it didn't seem to be as consistent with every head turn as it was before. I also tried turning off the GPU Power polling in the EVGA Precision OSD but I'm not sure if that had an impact.

Fred256X
Honored Guest
Same thing here.
GTX 1080, i7 3770k@4.6GHz, 16GB ram, NVME ssd. 2 sensors setup.
Nothing change on hardware side and one day... stuttering. I already tried to disable stuffs like TeamViewer, Afterburner, Oculus tray tool. I will try to downgrade Oculus version and/or nvidia drivers and I will keep you updated.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am seeing a little stuttering whilst looking around in Oculus Home now since the 1.20 update. Does not seem to be happening much though in games.  I will probably re-run sensor setup here soon to see if that helps any.

Fred256X
Honored Guest
I tried to change the USB ports and to rerun several time the sensor setup in different position. Still the same issue.
@cybereality
Is it possible to download somewhere older version of the Oculus Software?

Anonymous
Not applicable
 After doing a lot more testing it turns out that I thought my stuttering was fixed but it’s really not. Also most of my steam games are performing horribly now. We need to get some answers for this this is getting ridiculous. I’ve tried to go through support but they keep asking me the same questions they always do there is no real signs of hope going through them. It sucks!

Fred256X
Honored Guest
Same issue here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7c2x5i/nvidia_driver_38813_issues_is_it_just_me/

Several people said that going back to 388.00 solved the issues but in your case not. Will give a try tonight (France).

Anonymous
Not applicable
It helped some things but broke a lot of  others. This all started to happen after 1.19. I just wish there was an easy answer. I built at the time a top of the line pc just for the rift. Even my PC guy can’t figure this out and he builds rigs for a living. We’ve done every suggestion by oculus but nothing ever fixes anything. I love no limits 2 roller coaster in VR and most of the coasters I had before that ran great in the rift stutter to the point I want to throw up. I don’t get sim sickness either so it shows you how bad it must be. Seems a lot of 1080s are suffering from these recent updates from the posts I’ve seen. Maybe Fall creators update is the culprit? This seems hopeless.

Anonymous
Not applicable
388.00 is still not the answer for me anyway.