cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Other Suns - User Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Please post your rating of From Other Suns, taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
14 REPLIES 14

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
The other half of Star Trek Bridge Crew

MowTin
Expert Trustee
This game is much better than Bridge Crew. It's my favorite VR game so far. My only complaint right now is that I often get disconnected. It's the first game where I started adding people to my friends list. You feel like you really bond with the people you encounter on these missions because you go through a lot together. Working together is a must. Very few games in VR or out of VR have this level of cooperation. It's real coop. 

And the locomotion options are great. The replayability is awesome. The gun variety is superb.

I love this game. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Very enjoyable shooting game, despite a few issues and the somewhat repetitiveness of it.

Sort of a blend of the game FTL and Borderlands. Like FTL it's a rogue lite, with you travelling on a ship across the galaxy to try and get back to Earth, whilst being pursued by some malevolent aliens.

Like in the game FTL, you get a map of your ship's deck from which you can order your crew about to be stationed in various of the ship's rooms, to either increase the functionality of the systems like the engines or medbay etc or repair them if they get damaged. Of course unlike in FTL, you also get to do all this your self from first person and wander around your ship.

As you travel across the galaxy all the star systems and encounters are generated randomly, as are all the ships and space stations, of which there are a good variety. Although some of the locations can start to feel a little bit samey after a while, the random generation does a good job of mixing things up and as you progress across the star map, more different encounters and locations keep getting added to the mix.

What the game borrows from Borderlands is some great combat and an abundance of weapons. Similar to Borderlands the weapons and stats are randomised to a degree, although don't expect quite the craziness of the Borderlands guns, as the ones here seem to have a bit more of a set template. As you progress though you will keep on picking up better and better weapons; like armfuls of them. Also you will pick up various grenades; which for a change are quite easy and pleasing to throw, as well as hacking tools to open doors and hack cargo bay teleporters, and stimpacks for health.

The combat is really good. It's probably the best VR game yet for capturing that sci-fi Star Warsy hallway combat feel. It really makes you feel a bit like Han and Luke blasting their way through the Death Star or Starbuck and Apollo zapping Cylons. Don't expect an easy fight either as the difficulty soon ramps up and the noise of combat can draw adversaries from all sides, and quite often you'll find yourself being out flanked. It really is great fun.

It's just as well the combat is really good, as that is pretty much all you will be doing. When you arrive in a new system you might get a message from a station there asking you for help with a problem or there might be a pirate ship you can board after disabling it with your ships weapons. Whilst there is some variety to the missions, they will all involve you blasting your way through a ship or station full of enemies of various types. Missions can involve rogue robots that you need to shut down, space pirates and even alien infestations, but whatever it is, you'll never be doing more than just blast your way through a bunch of enemies. So far I have never met a friendly NPC; as soon as you beam over to do a mission, everything you meet will want to kill you.

Which brings me onto some of the issues. As good as the combat is, it will start to feel a bit repetitive after a while. Whilst the missions may have a bit of different flavour text, you will essentially be doing the same thing over and over again.

About 50% of the way through the game the difficulty suddenly spikes quite dramatically. The weapons you find get better with higher damage and better stats as you go along, but at the half way mark you will suddenly find, that even your latest weapons are no match for new enemies that suddenly appear, as they seem to require about 2 3rds of the capacity of both the weapons you are holding, just to take one of them down. Given that some missions require you to fend off waves of enemies until a time limit expires, it's like suddenly running into a brick wall, and you will quickly whittle through your lives and credits.

Another issue is inventory management. You will start to acquire lots and lots of guns and many of the older ones will soon become superseded with better versions. The problem is, there is no easy way to quickly get rid of unwanted items. You can only hold 5 of each item type at a time; so 5 slots for guns and 5 for small items like grenades, stimpacks, key cards etc. You can place guns and extra items on holders on the walls of your ship, but the guns will soon swamp you. The only way I have found to get rid of unwanted weapons is to throw them away, which you can do by releasing the grab button with a quick flick of the wrist. Ordinarily, releasing the grab button when you have a weapon in your hand just returns it to your holster. I only found out about being able to toss away weapons after a bit of Googling as someone had posted about it on reddit during the beta. Dropped items don't disappear, so your ship can soon become littered with them. At the moment I have to teleport over to a ship or station I've cleaned out to dump all my unwanted stuff; it's just a bit of a pain. Some sort of recycling shoot in the teleport room where we can dump unwanted stuff would be a real boon.

As for bugs, I've only encountered 1 so far, when I died one time and suddenly I was unable to pick up a lot of the small items as it kept telling me my inventory was full even though I had all 5 slots free, which obviously was a bit of a problem.

I've still yet to try this with other people but will give it a go tonight.

Going forward it would be nice to see a bit more variety to the missions beyond just zap, zap, zap. I'd love to fight alongside some NPC's at some point too, as the one problem with playing it solo, is it's always just you vs everybody. Your NPC crew btw always stays on the ship as they're more of a pool for your extra lives when you die as much as anything else.

Overall, a really good fun game and great to fire up when you want a bit of a blast.     

Capt_Bowman
Honored Guest
What a ride! Hidden Gem!
I am honestly surprised that this game doesn't have more hype. It's really really good (for me) and has taken over my game time. As others have said, if you enjoyed FTL and/or Borderlands and wanted to see what their VR baby would look like, try this now!

P-4-u-l-0
Protege
Best Oculus exclusive game, best VR game so far and also best coop game ever!!! 5 stars easily!
I can't begin to imagine how amazing a sequence of this game could be with a more complex universe! Would be a masterpiece!

MowTin
Expert Trustee

The combat is really good. It's probably the best VR game yet for capturing that sci-fi Star Warsy hallway combat feel. It really makes you feel a bit like Han and Luke blasting their way through the Death Star or Starbuck and Apollo zapping Cylons. Don't expect an easy fight either as the difficulty soon ramps up and the noise of combat can draw adversaries from all sides, and quite often you'll find yourself being out flanked. It really is great fun.

5 Stars

That's exactly it. Those laster fights while taking cover in hallways feel like those movie laser fights. I especially love it when I blast the robot heads off with my laser. 

I disagree that it's "zap, zap, zap" because there's a lot of strategies involved in upgrading your ship, charting your course and choosing your weapons. Even dealing with pirates involves strategy. One mission we beamed down to zap all the pirates but they beamed some guys to our ship and overwhelmed our captain who was the last human. 

Arguably the best VR game so far. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

FarSight13
Protege
There is no easy mode in this game? It's got hard core death mode? Is there some reason why there could not be a save progress feature? Call me lazy, but I don't want to start over every time my adventure goes side ways. A shame, the game looks like it could be fun. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This is standard for a rogue-like game. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

elboffor
Consultant
Amazing!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.