cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stuttering

bsselp
Protege
So went in to play some Rift yesterday for the first time in a while and suddenly noticed that in the Home screen, when I turn my head right or left, there's a pretty noticeable stuttering effect of the image. It also happens when moving my head up or down, but not as much. I repositioned and reset all of the 3 cameras and went through the entire setup process multiple times and the same thing is happening. I read elsewhere that MSI Afterburner could be causing the issues so I uninstalled that and no change. I tried playing a few games and the same thing. Noticeable stutter when moving my head. I have an Nvidia gtx1080. Could this be an issue with their latest driver release? It really makes the Rift almost unplayable.
62 REPLIES 62

sbhusted
Honored Guest
I just wanted to update my previous post, unfortunately it probably won't be helpful to those who are still having problems.  After I uninstalled all the ASUS software, EVGA Precision, Corsair Link software, and rolled back the drivers to version 385.69 and everything is smooth as silk for me.  I rolled back to the 385.69 version of the drivers because many people on the iRacing forums have said they work well and solved some of their stuttering issues.  

I'm not 100% sure what was causing my 'micro stuttering', but doing the above resolved it.  I'm probably going to reinstall the EVGA Precision to see if it causes any issues.  I've always used it in the past without any problems, so I'm hoping the ASUS / Corsair were the culprits.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

sbhusted said:

I just wanted to update my previous post, unfortunately it probably won't be helpful to those who are still having problems.  After I installed all the ASUS software, EVGA Precision, Corsair Link software, and rolled back the drivers to version 385.69 and everything is smooth as silk for me.  I rolled back to the 385.69 version of the drivers because many people on the iRacing forums have said they work well and solved some of their stuttering issues.  

I'm not 100% sure what was causing my 'micro stuttering', but doing the above resolved it.  I'm probably going to reinstall the EVGA Precision to see if it causes any issues.  I've always used it in the past without any problems, so I'm hoping the ASUS / Corsair were the culprits.   

There currently is a bug with the 388.13 drivers and monitoring software ( namely power monitoring).
I disabled power monitoring in Precision XOC and do not get any stutters with the 388.13 drivers.
Hopefully Nvidia will address that in either the next driver release or a hotfix for this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I don’t have any of that monitoring software at all so I’m not sure what I can do.  I’m not even using 388.13 I’m using 388.00.i tried to roll back a few drivers before 1.19 I forget which but it was suggested in another post. That was even worse. I notice in Forza 7 the into movie stutters a bit but the game runs real smooth. That’s the only standard pc game I’ve seen issues with and that’s only the movie. Also when I play the steam game preview videos getting bad frame rates as well. When I play the oculus games on the screen that it’s mirroring to it looks perfect but in the game it judders occasionally and hitches when things load. Like an event happens on screen. You can only see these issues in the rift, not the monitor.

gsxrguy46
Honored Guest
Anyone noticed any improvements since the 388.31 Nvidia drivers? I had not used my rift in a couple of months and when I used it the other day for the first time noticed the odd stutter that I had not before. Installed the 388.31 drivers last night and still seeing the odd stall which although not game breaking is frustrating. In the summer when I got the rift performance was silky smooth so the degrade in performance is definitely either oculus or nvidia driver based problem. The real annoyance is that no company openly admits something is broke and that it is going to be fixed leaving all us just guessing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you meant 388.13 then no, the problems for me at least are worse in that update. Somethings fishy to me. No one wants to point fingers, yet we aren’t getting even an
“ we are aware of an issue affecting some users and we are trying to figure it out.” From either party oculus or nvidia. I’d be okay with that. But from what I’m witnessing they want to stay quiet and hope we go away until they figure it out it seems. I asked in another oculus post if oculus is in talks with nvidia to figure out these issues but never got a response. Very untrustworthy of a company to sweep us under the rug and blame drivers or hardware to keep us busy troubleshooting that never works until it’s solved out of nowhere by one of the parties in a magical update. Wasting our time doing the same fixes they suggest over and over again is not good business and is snakey if you ask me. They know these things they suggest won’t fix a thing for us that are having issues with the stuttering and jumping. The amount of time I’ve troubleshooted the Rift trumps the amount of time i’ve actually used the damn thing. They really don’t care and have proven that to me time and again. Really sad.
I love my Rift when it works right but the companies customer treatment needs to be overhauled in a big way. 

Even though it won’t be as powerful I’m looking forward to the Santa Cruz. At least then we won’t be dealing with these situations every 5 seconds because it’s all contained in the hmd, hence no more conflicting updates or versions or usb garbage. 

Skysolstice
Honored Guest
I had this this problem with jumping camera too.  Once I turned power to high performance it stopped.  So I think the latest drivers will work too as long as no monitoring software is on.

f1iceman07
Explorer
hi i was having the same issues on mine, ive been having a few recently with glitches and strange thinbgs going on, after reading this i tried disabling the afterburner power monitor and BOOOOM it WORKED !! no home glitches.
No more glitches and strange thingS going on, i was also getting games freezing like assetto corsa but not tested that yet to see if that is solved aswell
I also have ai suite running and afterburner and all good from that 1 afterburner change both running ok

f1iceman07
Explorer
ok just checked assetto corsa and it worked ok but had few glitches still but hard to tell as i run motion and I was in f1 car it can be abit bumpy in that, but what was my concern was after exiting the game the rift froze and did not go back to home.
i had to shut oculus down fully and do a restart.
i am running nvidia 1080ti with 388.13 drivers.
i am going to test more with the ai suite and afterburner see if they are the real problems going on by unistalling them.
i dont get the stutter on home at all tho, just the freezing up and poss odd glitch in game.
i am dropping about 44 comp frames from debug and averaging 22 app to motion with 50% gpu spare 1.8ppd.
That was in assetto corsa near max everything but no post processing on.
hope this can give some help to others like it has me.

all tests with 1.8ppd

update after uninstalling ai suite only.
app to motion 20, comp frame drops 33, 50% gpu spare, all settings the same, no glitchs in home or game but this time the game FROZE on second lap of monza had to shut oculus down again and restart all.
1 full lap before it froze.

update after unistalling afterburner.
app to motion 20, comp frame drops 25, 45% gpu spare, all setting the same 3 deffo glitches but same place in on track, i had no freezing issues at all even exited clean right to the oculus home.
this time i did 3 laps.

UPDATE  new driver latest nvidia 388.31
app to motion 20, comp frame drops 14, 45% gpu spare, all setting same no glitches what so ever did 4 laps this time, no freezing smooth exit ect... 

how silly of me not to include the application frame drops sorry about that.
but it is clear to me all this has changed my experience in the rift, noticable comp frame loss from 44 down to 14 now.
but so far after all that i have no glitches what so ever now and running better.

hope thaty gives abit of insight. will do more tomoz as its now 4am and im tired ! lol
do the debug performance monitors results seem ok i have no idea whats ok and whats not other than lower the better except for gpu.

vds32
Explorer
guys I figured it out!

vds32
Explorer
I tried all of the suggestions in here.
I noticed after updating the latest nvidia drivers before 388.31, I had updated to 388.13.
Did anyone notice after 388.13 came out as soon as Oculus home is opened up the GEFORCE control panel launches the IN-GANE overlay recording tab press CTR-Z to active pop up in the upper right?

Well, I put two and two together and noticed I started getting the stuttering all the time now, after realizing this CTL-Z Nvidia Recording overlay tab would keep popping up before loading oculus home lately . So, I simply updated to 388.31 and went into the GEFORCE control panel and disabled completely NVIDIA OVERLAY RECORDING. immediately this fixed the stuttering issue. I can even play oculus at 2.0 supersampling now in the debug mode.

Running 4770k @ 4.50 GHz
16GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX 1080TI