cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stuttering

bsselp
Protege
So went in to play some Rift yesterday for the first time in a while and suddenly noticed that in the Home screen, when I turn my head right or left, there's a pretty noticeable stuttering effect of the image. It also happens when moving my head up or down, but not as much. I repositioned and reset all of the 3 cameras and went through the entire setup process multiple times and the same thing is happening. I read elsewhere that MSI Afterburner could be causing the issues so I uninstalled that and no change. I tried playing a few games and the same thing. Noticeable stutter when moving my head. I have an Nvidia gtx1080. Could this be an issue with their latest driver release? It really makes the Rift almost unplayable.
62 REPLIES 62

f1iceman07
Explorer
Vds32
I will do a test my self aswell now as i remember seeing that pop up.
Also wonderd if anyone tried the game mode in windows assigning to oculus home.
Re- install here wecome

Actually that was not my issue thinking about as a few weeks ago i unistalled geforce ex because of stuttering in game badly and it would crash.
When i dropped from latest drivers i did not install experience.
That did solve the crashing but still had stuttering abit.

Turned out if i had geforce ex installed that was causing most the crashing.
That was solved for me.
But weird how it came back again after oculus updates and i had mega stuttering more than before.

I also have a second vr system that had no issues on that.

I also put a thread up with strange warping going on with graphics after one of the oculus updates.

f1iceman07
Explorer
Just read up on the nvidia site and its saying the windows creator update has also caused issues with the colour which might not be helping matters, so its saying to eliminate issues there to set display colours to 8..
Sounds like theres a mess going on from drivers from everyone atm hence everytime im switching on i get somekind of issues atm.
Solve 1 then another pops up.
But defo try the colour display setting aswell.

f1iceman07
Explorer
just an update i have re-installed afterburner and it will crash the oculus home with or without power enabled. afterburner is not happy on my pc now 😞 

vds32
Explorer
Iceman, all I can say with 100% certainty what caused the problem for me was the NVIDIA driver update that added the recording overlay icon to popup before the oculus home. When I completely disabled this feature it 100% cured the problem for me. Its smoother than ever!

One thing I also did at the same time was remove the POWER % monitor from afterburner as well, so it might have been a combo of the two, but I'm pretty much certain disabling the NVidia CTL-Z overlay fixed it! good luck to all in search of this thread

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
start, run, type msconfig. go to startup, disable "NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy", reboot try again

vds32 said:

Iceman, all I can say with 100% certainty what caused the problem for me was the NVIDIA driver update that added the recording overlay icon to popup before the oculus home. When I completely disabled this feature it 100% cured the problem for me. Its smoother than ever!

One thing I also did at the same time was remove the POWER % monitor from afterburner as well, so it might have been a combo of the two, but I'm pretty much certain disabling the NVidia CTL-Z overlay fixed it! good luck to all in search of this thread

That's interesting, I always untick the NVIDIA Experience option when updating the drivers which the recording function is part of.... think I'll carry on doing that.

animal_time
Honored Guest
I suddenly have this problem too. In Oculus Home or any game, when I move my head, the whole environment moves a little bit. It's not consistent, but when it happens it's immersion breaking and slightly nauseating.

My graphics card Radeon RX 480 with the latest drivers and I'm running Oculus App 1.20.0.474906.

I didn't have this problem a few weeks ago, so my guess is that it's caused by an update in the Oculus software. It's not limited to Nvidia cards, since mine is AMD and I have the same issue described by several others in the thread. 

I've tried rebooting and running through the Oculus setup again, the problem still exists. I also disabled the Beta option and it didn't help either. I'd love to hear suggestions of how to fix this. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"UPDATE: The answer was surprising and simple: There is some issue with the GTX970 and using DVI out for the monitor. When I switched to a Display Port to HDMI adapter suddenly the computer had no more frame skips! BIZARRE! I still think this is a Nvidia driver issue possibly mixed with an Nvidia hardware issue. Regardless it seems to work now! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9VYceT2NUY

this is just a guess but set your desktop resolution to 1280 x 720, some games are set to this resolution and if your monitor is set to a different resolution it can cause a issue like the steam game rocket league did when the resolution was 1080p no game but at 720 p it worked, the bug is fixed now but there you go, try 720 p desktop resolution.

Aymito2
Expert Protege
my Oculus rift  finale updated to 1.20 and I can confirm the stuttering is  visible even in simple development projects, the rift performance is down by about 20% I would say and for unknown reason , the hardware and all other drivers are the same  as before, so I guess this update is responsible somehow... 😕

EliteSPA
Superstar
Works perfect here.

I know it sounds stupid but have you change the pixel density in oculus debug tool and forgot to set it back to 1.0?

Also check your nvidia control panel and be sure is set as "perfomance"
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz