cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've been on the fence about this and have some reservations about build quality and performance under heavy load, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives and I guess many others feel the same way. Now I never backed the Rift during its Kickstarter campaign (unfortunately) but I assume the feeling is similar where you're helping to forge the future of VR in some way, or at least like to think so. I consider myself an enthusiast and not the majority, therefore what's another £600 to experience the latest  in VR. Sadly, having Samsung not release the Odyssey here in the UK left me with an itchy wallet finger, a void that needed filling and with GO not releasing until next year either I thought the Pimax 8K will scratch the itch and might just prove to be pretty good too. I'm excited for it.

There is always going to be skepticism and no doubt a number of people will suggest I am backing a paperweight but, that's ok it's fully understandable to have those feelings and that prediction is always a possibility. But... if someone doesn't take the risk and we all play it safe, how can VR move forwards - I guess we've already taken risks with past VR investments in some way or another including with the Rift. I've never claimed any loyalty to anyone having owned The Gear VR (still have that knocking around somewhere) DK2, Vive, Rift, PSVR and come next year Pimax will be added to the list. However, I am interested like many of you agreed in the poll we did here a while back that certain things were important to improve on what we have now and it seems the Pimax 8K is offering some of those things on paper. 

I think once you can look past the silly marketing name (8K) and the hammerhead shark design and focus on what's inside, this HMD offers something many claimed they would like in the past but are not prepared to trust Pimax to deliver. I think a number of people would rather wait for a more established company (like Oculus) to offer a similar experience further down the line. All very understandable. But I am impatient, and whilst I use my Rift quite often I want more of what VR can offer sooner rather than later. 

So, (and the main reason for this post) is come Feb 2018 some point in 2018 I will gladly post impressions and comparisons without hyperbole and answer questions any of you might have. That said, I expect many others at the time will post their impressions also so there should be plenty of opinions going around from various sources.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,860 REPLIES 1,860

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

The fact remains they’re rendering 4k and upscaling to 8k which is a ratio of 2:1.

Did you see that @Mace404 - a Pimax Kickstarter Backer just proved that the term "8K" is NOT just a marketing term. Backers really believe that it is 8K. I told ya so!

In related news,

I saw this thread recently where folks of Wrestling were sharing hilarious GIF's of some famous "over-sellers" in the industry. It reminded me so much of the Pimax marketing campaign and the posts made by Pimaxers. Here are a few of those GIF's that I believe portray the Pimax 8K marketing campaign quite well:

Over-selling at its finest

Roaster
Rising Star
2+2 = 2*2
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

2+2 = 2*2

2+3 <> 2*3

You don't seem to understand how Math Formulas work:
2+x = 2x <-- This must be validated in all cases, not just the simply ones that you manage to fumble through.

Roaster
Rising Star
I don't understand?
2+2 = 2 x 2 is true, and all the bluster and arrogance you can muster will not change that.
Have you no pride?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

I don't understand?
2+2 = 2 x 2 is true, and all the bluster and arrogance you can muster will not change that.
Have you no pride?

I get that you can't count beyond the Number 2, however...

We're talking about the Pimax 8K piece of hardware, thus:
2+4K <> 2*4K

Have you no education? Home schooled only?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
Anyone that has tried the Pimax agrees it's still better than current gen headsets. 

Not the stuff I've quoted from folks like Test.com

Upscaling to 4K and then doubling that Specification to call it 8K simply because the 4K upscaling is on 2 screens is probably the biggest Technology Ruse I've seen since Google Glass.

I mean hell... we have Mace404 who supports the Pimax 8K based on the notion that "8K is just a marketing term and shouldn't be taken literally," while Atmos is here arguing that it really is most literally presenting 8K resolution. Because that's what this product is all about: Obtaining Kickstarter funds through confusion, delusion, and obfuscation. 

I still like your posts though, Mradr.
 🙂 

Sorry I mean only the res is better in the Pimax (even tested and Linux agree that the res is a big jump and "better"). The ONLY thing I am interested in the Pimax is that upscaler and if it can really pull off the same effect off of let's say that cable can do. If it can - I can't see why over all we can't go that direction in the future. I understand the different in native and fake - but my point is that if we can do native - then let's push it further with a cable upgrade like Linux covered to have that much more over native alone for res running at 2:1 scaling. It make sense until we can hit at least native 8k.

Agree with the rest... 

Roaster
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Roaster said:

I don't understand?
Have you no pride?

I get that you can't count beyond the Number 2, however...

We're talking about the Pimax 8K piece of hardware, thus:
2+4K <> 2*4K

Have you no education? Home schooled only?

Look ... dude ... there are no equations beside 1=1 that are valid for all variables.
Most simple equations have one solution. In your case the solution is 2.
Stop with the insults and act like a man.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:
Look ... dude ... there are no equations beside 1=1 that are valid for all variables.
Most simple equations have one solution. In your case the solution is 2.
Stop with the insults and act like a man.

You opened up the line of insults when you tried calling me ignorant; so stop whining like a baby if you can't take a bit back of the thing you initiate. Don't "act" like a man... "be" a man. Try to be less of a hypocrite too.

2+4K <> 2*4K

If you wanna spam this thread with all that 1=1 and personal insults garbage, then be my guest. You aren't really good at much else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

How does rendering 4k total for two eyes then upscaling to 8k equal rendering native 8k?

Rendering 4k - 4096x2657= 21MP upscaled to 8k 
Rendering 8k - 8192x5314= 42MP native

I don’t know where the confusion is here.

Because each screen is limited to 4k - so they are upscaling from 2k to 4k per image sent. This gives a off set of the image and not a true 2:1. Also, it's left or right side that gets a blank screen. Over all - it's only sending a single 4k image and using refresh rates to give them time to draw the next image for the other eye. That is what BW is. Pimax's 8k  = 2x4k images, the images are 2k upscale to 4k that are sent only one at a time.

If you can pull off 2x4k images at the same time - then why the fuck are you upscaling?  That would make no sense. You are better off benefiting off the image quality than raw pixels count which is what I was talk about before with native vs fake. IF you can already run at native - then upscaling makes no sense at all, but if you are aiming for something that requires more than what we can do "today" then upscaling is the way to go for the raw pixel count (aka for example using real 2x 8k screen by sending only 2x 4k images that are each upscale for each eye).

Both of these are what Pimax are using - but none of them really produce a full 8k per eye solution. They produce a 4k image per eye from the upscale image. It's not the same as producing 2x 4k images and upscaling to 2x8k images when you are just upscaling from 2k to 4k per image and calling each scale 2+2 = 8 no it makes 2+2 = 4. To put simple - Pimax's 8k is not real and really is 4k by 4k. I understand why they are calling it 8k -but understanding and really what is happening is not the same thing. Mace404 explain this as well and why Zenbane doesn't like their math and neither do I... 

This means the overhead you are seeing it not from the res - but something else like the FOV and I am sure it's adding quite a bit of overhead having to draw more objects that also need more sharder work done and more lighting that has to be calculated. Don't believe me? Then explain why people are getting almost 2.0 in SS off todays cards?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
/yawn

Pimax 8K has 4K resolution, from their own site:

All their quotes about "upscaling to 8K" involve abusing the fact that the image is on 2 screens. But it is still 4K.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-8k-vr-frequent-asked-questions/2958