cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix second-wide stutter in Oculus Rift?

aram
Protege
Hello,

Recently all the games that I run seem to have a stutter , frame jump almost every second. So if I rotate my head from right to left continuously every second or so I'll see a jump. This wasn't the case before. I have tried a lot of approaches in forums here and nothing has helped so far.

To me it seems that this is an issue that is affecting a lot of people and is not a 'one-off' thing.

Please help me figure out a solution.

All the needed logs are attached and I'm sure it lists my computer's specs but just in case:
Core-i7
GTX 1080 FTW SLI
Windows 10
Nvidia Drivers: 388.31

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Mot666
Expert Protege
Someone on the Frontier forum mentioned that turning off the features in 'Gaming' Windows setting fixed the stuttering. I've also seen a lot of people say that the Fall Creators Win 10 update broke their Rift fps. The Fall Creators update is supposed to install the latest Nvidia drivers automatically which also has been affecting people's VR performance.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Nvidia user and I haven't downloaded the Fall update yet, this is just what I have read online.

wm79
Explorer
Okay, I seem to have the same problem and the only change I can connect it with is the Windows Fall Creators Update. Is a rollback possible? No need Fall Creator garbage, need lagfree Oculus.

wm79
Explorer
Guys, for me disabling/exiting MSI Afterburner and/or the included Rivatuner server worked immediately. Give it a try.

DEEM0N
Explorer
I still have the same issue. I don't have MSI afterburner nor Rivatuner. Never had... so what can I do to fix this?
Previously I had heavy stuttering which was replaced with this "slow stuttering" when I downgraded nvidia drivers from 388.xx to 385.xx something. But the slow stuttering is still annoying and I would really like to get rid of this also... any help?

edit: for me closing Gigabyte Extreme Gaming Engine software helped. However this is bad, because GPU fan control happens through this and without the default fan speed is absurdly loud. 😞 Any alternate way to get the GPU fan control back without introducing stutter to oculus?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just got the new 1.20.01 update and it makes things even worse for me. I even went over to the beta update to see if that may be better but it's even worse than the official new one. This is really making me upset because things are only getting more and more messed up for me and I'm at a loss of what to do. This feels hopeless to actually get a fix. The update doesn't even have release notes so we don't even know what it is supposed to address. I'd rather have 1.20 than either of these. Now it's hitching more where the graphics jump around while it's losing frames and seems to happen when assets load. It chugs hard now and didn't do that as much as before. Not good at all  :s 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I double checked all of my settings in Nvidia control panel and they are all correct to what they should be. I don't have Nvidia Experience or any overlays including while testing the update not using the Oculus Tray Tool either. Steam is not running, just Oculus and that's it. None of my normal screen PC games have any issues at all. Oculus updates are directly affecting my Rift's performance and today proved it because nothing else updated, I double checked my event log... Please Oculus we need help and for this matter to be taken a little more seriously!!!! Please!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank the gods. I have been going crazy with my USB drivers, uninstalls, etc thinking it was JUST ME! I NEVER had these issues before. Last good date I used Oculus was when Star Trek Bridge Crew came out...after reinstalling windows (CLEAN and all drivers UP TO DATE including NVIDIa)  and reinstalling Oculus - I too experience these same head-motion stutters! It's not like a left-to right stutter - but rather the picture will JUMP up and down slightly...ever so slightly when I look behind me (rotating my head to the left) and then look directly to my left in an attempt to face forward. It's so strange and a huge immersion killer for me.

I am SO glad it's NOT just me lol. Coming on these forums has been my "last desperate attempt" and I'm GLAD I did. I never, EVER had these problems before - but now I do. Oculus clearly broke something or NVIDIA did....but it's NOT JUST US!

blanes
Rising Star
My stutter judder was only steam VR games and fixed by changing ss settings from 5.0 to 1.0 in the settings - developer tab of SteamVR.

aram
Protege
Ok. Let me get this right, I knew I was not the only one, but what i didn't know is that Oculus Support is still not responding.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?