New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Windows Mixed Reality presentation

2»

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    The headset tracking is also problematic. They are passive visible spectrum cameras instead of active IR (passive meaning it relies on existing light, active meaning they have their own light sources like IR leds or lasers). This means they don't work in the dark like the Rift and Vive do. They also don't like flat colours, they can't track unless there's lots of detail visible. Standing on a green screen stage would confuse the hell out of it.
    They have potential of world scale tracking, but it drifts as you move around (walk 20m away then walk back, and your position could be off a bit)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,162 Valuable Player
    Don't forget the glass and mirror problems with the tracking (reflective surfaces). 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Good point, those will really mess things up if they are large surfaces or the dominant detail in a flat environment. Strange that MS don't mention that in their developer warnings on MR tracking flaws.

kojack said:
    Strange that MS don't mention that in their developer warnings on MR tracking flaws.

Not really that strange - WinMR wants to promote the positive.
    I am just waiting to see how they handle questionable reviews. Will they be like normal MS and shoot the messenger? Or act like Sony, regarding their tracking issues, and deny a problem, but secretly look for a alternative solution.  
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player
    edited November 2017

Pretty much hits all the points of what I feel for this xD
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:
    Strange that MS don't mention that in their developer warnings on MR tracking flaws.

Not really that strange - WinMR wants to promote the positive.
    I don't really think the "Handling Tracking Errors" section of the Microsoft MR developer site is really trying to be positive when it lists the flaws in tracking. It doesn't mention mirrors or glass though, but does mention things more concerning like that having people walk around near it can mess it up (can't use it with an audience).

kojack said:
    More concerning like that having people walk around near it can mess it up (can't use it with an audience).

Look forward to the first reviewer that has a cat or a dog!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Give me one for free (headset, not cat or dog, got those already) and I'll let you know. :)

Small things like pets shoulodn't hurt. But people moving around will confuse the camera, it needs a static environment to do tracking. Showing it at a convention with crowds watching is going to mess it up.
    "Ok everybody, stand perfectly still. If any of you move, the person in VR is going to fall over due to the headset freaking out"
    :)

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Are these different from AR?  I.E. can you not see your surroundings from inside the HMD like Holo Lens?  Is this not that hologram stuff MS was playing with on Holo Lens?  If not, is it low end VR?!
    falken76 said:
    Are these different from AR?  I.E. can you not see your surroundings from inside the HMD like Holo Lens?  Is this not that hologram stuff MS was playing with on Holo Lens?  If not, is it low end VR?!
    While they have cameras on the headsets, you can't see through them, they are just for tracking. No AR, just VR.
    Still playing around with that definition:

High-end VR [CV1, Vive, StarVR etc,.]
    Mid-scale VR [WinVR, PSVR etc,.]
    Low-End VR [GearVR, Daydream, ANTVR etc,.]
    Basic VR [Cardboard etc,.]

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    Still playing around with that definition:

High-end VR [CV1, Vive, StarVR etc,.]
    Mid-scale VR [WinVR, PSVR etc,.]
    Low-End VR [GearVR, Daydream, ANTVR etc,.]
    Basic VR [Cardboard etc,.]

Cardboard is more like "Preview" or "Sneak-Peak" VR.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    "preview" and "sneak-peak" are all terms for items that have not been full launched.
    Basic is a better term as it describes the VR experience as being ...basic! This will include the Fisher-Price platform and also the other MobileVR - but allows Daydream and GearVR to be more fully functional attempts (Low-end).

The only issue that some of you will have with this is that Oculus GO will be placed in the Low-end definition, especially with its specs being only comparable (at best) to GearVR.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    I don't think many would argue, Go is a GearVR in a more convenient body where Oculus have full control over the software environment (instead of needing to go through Samsung for everything, Carmack had a good talk about how bad that is for rolling out patches).
    Although if it has equal specs to a Galaxy phone, it will still run VR better due to less bloat from phone crap and software optimised for one platform.

For cardboard... maybe Toy VR? :)
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    Are the screens in Go (CV2) better than the Rift? With no cell phone baggage it might perform better than Gear at least.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    kojack said:
    I don't think many would argue, Go is a GearVR 
    I think you may be wrong!
    Roaster said:
    Are the screens in Go (CV2) better than the Rift? With no cell phone baggage it might perform better than Gear at least.
     B) 

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:
    Roaster said:
     B) 

I guess technically it is a consumer version 2, since it will be the second consumer version Oculus releases, but it's not a sequel to the CV1. :)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:
    Roaster said:
     B) 

I guess technically it is a consumer version 2, since it will be the second consumer version Oculus releases, but it's not a sequel to the CV1. :)

Technically it's going to be a GearVR CV2 in all but name :)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever