cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Other Suns Tips

Anonymous
Not applicable
Feel free to add some if you have any.

- If you go to an enemy's tactical area and blow it up with your guns, the captain can't shoot your ship. I play solo and had my ship blown up a few times while trying to loot pirates, until someone mentioned it. This is quicker and saves your ship's ammo. Shoot the enemy ship once to break the jam, then teleport over.

- Upgrading your teleporter a few times can make your lock-on time as low as 6 or even 4 seconds, which seems more useful than other upgrades. You shouldn't need the med bay much unless you're soloing, out of medpacks, and are the last crew member alive or don't want to lose one. Then you'd have to walk back to the teleporter, lock on to your ship, and go back.

- Cards only work on the station they were picked up on. Many stations and ships have blue doors, but a card picked up on one station will be useless on the next.

- A rank III hackatron can fail and break on a 95% chance, then a rank II with a 75% chance on the same computer can randomly succeed. 

- If you shut off the reactor on a ship, everything in it will shut off, and once the oxygen level hits 0, your health will rapidly decline. You'll be dead in roughly 10-15 seconds.

- Judging by messages from the commander, it appears that you have to keep jumping to the right on the star chart, as the aliens keep moving from the left towards you.

- If you look at your ship's schematic, the top right room is the captain's quarters and has more wall spots to store weapons. If you're ever fighting and the game tells you you were rewarded a legendary weapon, it will be placed on that wall the next time you are on your ship.

- Shields are somewhat useless, because not only does the enemy sometimes use explosives or disc weapons, when your dominant hand sticks past the shield, you can get hit.

- You only really need to dual wield for tough enemies like dual wielding robots that fire rockets, the aliens that drop from vents, bosses, or if there's a group of armed enemies. A default legendary pistol with 180 or even 162 damage can kill a pirate in one magazine with well placed shots.

- The shock burst and auto laser pistols aren't too great (regardless of the number), while laser beams and disc weapons are amazing. Dual wielding laser beams of any damage type will melt the aliens that drop from vents. Pistols and single shot rifles are also great when you need that quick projectile with decent accuracy.

- Some bosses, such as the laser turret that hangs from the ceiling, can be kited with the two barriers. Shoot, back out when it fires, go back in, rinse and repeat. Shots against the red dot before and right after it fires appears to do more damage. Pistol is great for this because of the high accuracy and decent damage. There's ammo racks there for infinite ammo.
74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
One huge tip: the AI is retarded and if you have one go to your bridge, he will shoot a station and get your ship instagibbed before you can lock on and teleport (even with upgrades and only a 6 second lock).

LordQuake
Adventurer
@MowTin thanks for the feedback.
So we have to get back to earth to unlock other ships, anyone know what they are?

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I had to guess, other Skimmers, as in Mk I, Mk II, Mk III, etc. and maybe some larger ships as well.

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

One huge tip: the AI is retarded and if you have one go to your bridge, he will shoot a station and get your ship instagibbed before you can lock on and teleport (even with upgrades and only a 6 second lock).

Yeah, I learned that the hard way today.  I actually kicked a guy, because I knew I wasn't shooting the stations, so I thought he was sabotaging me lol.  I figured out my mistake when my ship kept picking fights it couldn't handle after he was gone. 

(Didn't catch the name, but if you're on here and recognize me, sorry about that by the way)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm up to 60% right now with everything on my ship maxed and some decent weapons, although I could definitely use better ones (player weapons, not ship). I have a ton of crew members and I just have them dispersed evenly, but they only come in the bridge if they're wandering. I will not order anyone to the bridge ever again.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Yeah, I learned that the hard way today.  I actually kicked a guy, because I knew I wasn't shooting the stations, so I thought he was sabotaging me lol.  I figured out my mistake when my ship kept picking fights it couldn't handle after he was gone. 

(Didn't catch the name, but if you're on here and recognize me, sorry about that by the way)

Well, someone kicked me once for no reason. Maybe it was you 🙂
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I beat the game just now. It appears there's one other ship. You can see the comparison between the Radiance and the Skimmer. Fyi, I couldn't get a screenshot, so I had to set my controllers down, hold my hmd back, and ctrl print screen it into paint.h3xqqypo8zqd.jpghn7nikitermr.jpg

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I beat the game just now. It appears there's one other ship. 

You beat it solo or with a crew? Any strategy tips? I feel like I'll never make it to earth. Had a good run yesterday but we got overwhelmed by robots. Things went south fast and didn't have a chance to run back to ship. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did it solo believe it or not, and that was with a death or two, but luckily I had more crew and also bought more to replace the death or two. The aliens aren't so bad and neither are pirates (unless you both get a teleport lock at the same time, and as you port over, there's 5+ trying to squeeze through a door and all have the red shields). What you do is get to Earth, the commander has someone fit your ship with a special shield (different from the normal shield and can't be seen or upgraded via vendors), then you go towards the mothership and hope you get lucky by landing on the same point. Then the mothership tries to light you up, but the special shield never breaks. You port over and kill some fairly tanky aliens, fight a boss, and win.

Not sure if this is normal, but when you play with the Asa Radiance, you get some male and female crew members, but then I noticed a robot (I played as a robot only once when I quick joined someone's Skimmer). Who I am now seems like a female, because I thought I heard a woman's screams when I was shot. But, the hands look cracked, burned, or something, with purple nails, almost like an alien of some sort.

Also, a few tidbits:

- When playing with the Asa Radiance, the alien mothership, as well as the destroyed stations behind it comes within a jump or two at the start. I actually fell behind trying to go to a trading station, and despite moving forward, the aliens had beat me to the jump, so I had to go long for another station that hadn't been abandoned.

- Enemies are more advanced near the start (especially robots). Robots appear to drop nano pistols (purple X[]X shaped pistols) and are slightly harder to kill. While there are still the scrawny brown ones that die with one headshot, the majority appear to be upgraded models with nano weapons, and a certain model charges its hands, then throws two nano orbs at you that explode and do maybe 5% dmg or so (not sure exactly). Towards the end of the Skimmer game, you'll notice cloaked robots, but I haven't seen many so far with the Asa Radiance.

- Aliens don't necessarily become tougher. There are still the crawlers that spit and hop, as well as infected humans, and the xenomorphs that drop from vents. A new alien appears to be like a human, but has a huge head and can spit or slash, but is fairly easy to kill. Now, the quantity of aliens can be overwhelming, depending on your luck. At one station, I fought 3 xenomorphs at once (of course they had separate vents, thank God). You do get decent damage weapons from the start, unlike the sub-100 damage weapons with the Skimmer.

Here's a tip though for a second or fresh play through:

Go for achievements. That is how you unlock some legendary weapons for your Captain's room, and they will always be there, unless you use and lose them. But each and every play through, you will always have those same weapons on your wall.

Also, if you loot any figurines/statues, in your Captain's quarters, you will notice a 3 tier shelf. Place them there, in any order you like.

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
I've beaten it twice -- once solo and once with one other crew member.  It's definitely easier solo.  Early on, I had to just destroy any pirate ships rather than board them, because they would cause hull breaches that drained all my oxygen while I was gone. 

Now I've got it mostly figured out -- teleport over before answering the pirates comm dialogue, and destroy the tactical system ASAP (only killing the pirates you have to to survive until it's down).  As long as you're on their ship and don't let them fix it, they won't do any additional damage to your ship.  Then you can loot/hunt their captain at your own pace to get the most salvage.

Besides that, just try to maximize the mission stations you stop by on your way to earth, and don't waste time on trader stations until you have a good stockpile of salvage to spend. 

Never buy fuel, ordnance, or crew members unless you're dangerously low on any.  You get enough for completing missions and stealing cargo.  Spend it on upgrades instead.  Med bay is most important since it gives you more health on away missions.