cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got home today very excited to see Oculus released an update. I was telling myself ok finally they may have looked into the issues and released a fix for the stuttering described in many posts blowing up on the forums lately. Well I wish you had the ability to rollback the updates, because my performance now is incredibly bad. This was the only thing that updated on my PC today and now the Rift stutters when things load more than yesterday by a large margin. For the people that have these issues, and never had Rivatuner, Msi Afterburner etcetera, did this update improve, or make your performance worse?
66 REPLIES 66

Javelin396
Adventurer
my experience has been remarkably improved since the update, as i noticed almost immediately when i loaded up killing floor incursion horde mode and started blasting away zeds. it was a pleasant surprise for me.to have everything going so buttery smooth

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been going crazy with my USB drivers, uninstalls, etc
thinking it was JUST ME! I NEVER had these issues before. Last good date
I used Oculus was when Star Trek Bridge Crew came out...after
reinstalling windows (CLEAN and all drivers UP TO DATE including
NVIDIa)  and reinstalling Oculus - I too experience these same
head-motion PICTURE jumps (stutters?)! It's not like a left-to right constant stutter - but rather
the picture will JUMP up and down slightly...ever so slightly when I
look behind me (rotating my head to the left) and then look directly to
my left in an attempt to face forward. It's so strange and a huge
immersion killer for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for responding guys. TheGamesCritic yeah welcome to the world I’ve been living in for the past few months.  Oculus hasn’t been responding to these posts much lately.  It would be nice for them to try to offer us a little more troubleshooting than what they’ve been suggesting. I don’t know how it’s possible but there are some people who get these issues all the time and there are some that never do. It doesn’t seem consistent at all and I’ve tried to do all the suggestions including reinstalling windows about five times, no overlays, all nvidia settings are max performance, 1 Pre-rendered VR frame but it never makes a difference. Nothing else updated yesterday just oculus and now unplayable.  It’d be nice for oculus to chime in again. I think they thought for a long time this was me trolling but not the case at all. I’m Both happy and upset that other people are having this issue. Happy because it shows a little more credibility to my posts and that issues exist, but unfortunate that other people have to go through this same issue I’ve been going through for a while. Something they are doing in their updates is directly changing my performance.
 This is getting really old really fast. I just want to play my damn rift With no problems. It doesn’t make sense to me.  I’m considering buying a Windows MR headset to see if that still gives me the same problems and if not then I know it’s oculus.  Still on the fence about it. I know that the quality won’t be as good for the tracking but if it works better then it’s better than my situation now.  I’d rather not do that but I may not have a choice if we keep getting ignored.  If they gave us a “we’ve been working on it to figure it out” I’d be okay with that and wait for the word. Just not knowing is the crappy part and the total lack of ownership isn’t right.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's a video of my issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTu8YI_4vPg&;

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can’t really see the issue from this video. Is it the the frames are inconsistent as you move your head like it skips frames in between giving you a rough transition as you move your head occasionally? Do you also have reprojection in the image almost like you can see both frames at once like ghosting? I’m also getting loading stutter as well. Whenever an event happens when assets are loading it chugs for a few seconds. Do you have any of that as well? Sorry for all the questions I just am trying to figure out if you and I have the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

UBSERD said:

I can’t really see the issue from this video. Is it the the frames are inconsistent as you move your head like it skips frames in between giving you a rough transition as you move your head occasionally? Do you also have reprojection in the image almost like you can see both frames at once like ghosting? I’m also getting loading stutter as well. Whenever an event happens when assets are loading it chugs for a few seconds. Do you have any of that as well? Sorry for all the questions I just am trying to figure out if you and I have the same issue.

I think ours are similar but not the same. I have loading stutter upon initial app launch - but ive always had that. This new issue - It basically JERKS the image down..in the logs its literally referred as "tracking jump" showing correction variables in the logs. So it's clearly losing tracking and trying to "auto-correct" it which is weird. Pay attention to the couch - when my eyes meet it you see it "jump" down. I know it's hard to tell as my head is constantly on the move but yeah thats the headset jitter I can't fix entirely on vidcapture.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's a 2nd more helpful video of my issue UBSERD

https://youtu.be/myurfsR8MZw

Aymito2
Expert Protege
Where to download offline the Oculus rift driver 1.19 to test and compare the result with the new one ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
TheGamesCritic yes I see it now. How strange?? That isn’t the same issue I’m getting but that’s very bizarre.  How many cameras do you have? I’m wondering if it’s a sensor issue.  Did you try to move your cameras to another location just to check? Also do you have a second PC to test on?
 Maybe the  accelerometer in your headset has gone bad and can’t gauge the turning of your head correctly. I’m not sure if I’m right or not but just a thought. If you tested on a second PC and had the same issue that could very well be it but I’m not a technician just thinking that could be the issue.

Aymito unfortunately oculus doesn’t offer a rollback feature so unless you can find a mirror of it somewhere if that’s even possible you can’t roll back to 1.19.