cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Oculus Go going to work?

Roaster
Rising Star
I assume the Go will connect with Wifi. Will I be able to load Android apps on it? 
I want to connect to a wifi camera, because I think the Go would make a swell viewfinder for the telescope and spotting scope.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
21 REPLIES 21

Richooal
Consultant
Well that's wrecked my theory.
I thought it would have an optical drive or USB input to get the stuff on it.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Roaster
Rising Star
I don't know anything about the Gear and how the software works for that. The cameras I have require an interface app to connect with wifi, and all I've heard is the Go compatibility with Gear stuff.
Can you comment @cybereality

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Richooal
Consultant
In the case of the Gear, all the software is handled by the mobile phone. Downloading, storage etc. All apps/games designed for Gear will run on the Go.
I would doubt very much that the Go would be able to connect to 3rd party devices with either Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth or IR.

Richooal said:

Won't we need to type a program in and hit Run?    B)

Pretty sure it will be over wifi, just like the phone in the Gear VR is when you're at home and most PCs will be when you're using your Rift.  It will probably use the same "Home" as Gear VR - remember, the Gear VR is "powered by Oculus" (software).
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

Won't we need to type a program in and hit Run?    B)

Pretty sure it will be over wifi, just like the phone in the Gear VR is when you're at home and most PCs will be when you're using your Rift.  It will probably use the same "Home" as Gear VR - remember, the Gear VR is "powered by Oculus" (software).

10 PRINT "MY CAMERA DOESN'T WORK!"
20 GOTO 10

B) 

Richooal
Consultant

It will probably use the same "Home" as Gear VR - remember, the Gear VR is "powered by Oculus" (software).

Yep. That's what I said.

Richooal said:
All apps/games designed for Gear will run on the Go.

I should now apologise for not making it clear, with an emoticon or gif, that I was joking about the optical drive and USB.
:#

Roaster
Rising Star
OK, so it's an android device that can only run Oculus Home? Kinda like AOL-VR. Brilliant.
I sometimes fantasize that there would be an Oculus presence on the Oculus forum.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Roaster said:

I sometimes fantasize that there would be an Oculus presence on the Oculus forum.

😄 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Roaster
Rising Star
@cybereality
I appreciate your presence here.
Can the Go run third party android apps? Can it connect to a wifi camera?